Purchasing car in North Island( shipping to South)

sunnyhoney, Oct 18, 10:59am
Hi people, looking at purchasing a car to the value of $18k and wanting it trucked down to the South Island as aposed to flying up and driving it back.
Wanting peoples advice on payment. Dangers, things to do or don't. Advice
Thanks 🙏🏻

lauzie, Oct 18, 2:41pm
Piece of cake ph car transporter for quote pat them and wait for it to be delivered.

desmodave, Oct 18, 4:11pm
You could also pick it up of the Ferry at Picton if you wanted . Think it was like $500 for Auto Movements to get car from Hamilton to Picton .At $18k i would be wanting a pre purchase inspection done on the car if i had know 1 to check it over . Have you already bought or just costing it out . Have a few photo's pre delivery to compare . As for payment i would be using a transporter with a bit of history in the game and not some fly by nighter for sure .

saxman99, Oct 18, 9:08pm
You're not allowed to pat them anymore.

sw20, Oct 18, 9:22pm
My father had my mother's new car trucked down from Auckland. Took nearly a week because it sat in a yard somewhere for a few days until there was enough cars for the truck.

IMO it's far better if you fly up and pick it up yourself. You will actually take care of the car. You will get back to your home quicker than the truck will. It will be cheaper.

alfred011, Oct 18, 10:23pm
Auto movements brought up a car from Christchurch to Wanganui for $600 lucky it arrived turned up at 6.30 am the day after kaikoura earth quake .

alfred011, Oct 18, 10:29pm
If you are spending $18000 I would go and look at it 1st before paying for it my stepson bought a $14000 off a dealer in Hamilton it is a total piece of shit the dealers were a pack of arseholes so we had to take them to the motor vehicle disputes tribunal .

kazbanz, Oct 19, 9:07am
sunnyhoney allowing you have done all your due diligence on the car to be sure its in good condition you have a few options depending on where you are in the south island.
Christchurch you could send it by sea ,by rail and by truck
picton you could do the same -or possibly have it trucked to welly and put on the ferry -pick it up the other side.
Other places it can get expensive so you may want to concider "meeting" the car at those centres.

sunnyhoney, Oct 19, 11:38am
Hi all. Pre purchase inspection being done today. Rung the Honda branch that is going to do the inspection and they have been serving the car from the time it was imported and first registered. Shipping is about $825 trucking and I believe shipping via boat from port to port is cheaper again. To fly up and drive back $500 roughly. I don’t mind spending a bit more to save my time. But the main point is the payment for the car. It’s a private listing and feedback is 99 good. . I’m sure trade me used to have safe trader or something where the funds where held by a middle party until the goods are revived by the purchaser etc . . Thoughts ? Thanks

androth2, Oct 19, 11:52am
I drove a rare car from Auckland to Christchurch for a friend as they didnt want anybody pinching parts etc off it on the way and they paid for me to flyback.Trip was ok except for radiator hose which failed in Wellington after 9 hour trip

ajm43, Oct 22, 9:31am
I'm doing that on Wednesday, flying from Ch-ch to Wlg $65, bus to Palmy $20, drive to ferry $? and back to Ch-ch, far cheaper than transporter quote of $1100.

sw20, Oct 22, 11:35am
For an extra $40-$50 why not just fly straight into Palmerston North?

pge, Dec 17, 4:18pm
My wife and I are flying down to Chch on 12th. Nov.

Shame we couldn't have coordinated, and driven it down for you, at cost of fuel and ferry only.