Repair or wreck? 1996 BMW 740i

jc555, Sep 5, 5:14pm
I'm after opinions of what is approximate value of 1996 BMW (with 147,000 km on the clock) if it was warranted and registered.

I have one that needs to be re-vinned, re-registered and re-warranted. ie needs some $$$ put into it. I don't want to start the process if it means ending up with a vehicle that is worth less than it cost to get it going.

It has had a crash so needs to be re-vinned. It is still drivable though.
Other than that I can't say what else is wrong with it.

I thought I'd ask for approximate value for its age and mileage; to factor in to any decisions made.

Thoughts? .
TIA

jc555, Sep 5, 5:27pm
Thanks supern0va.

very informative.
seems like there are people out there that are interested in the model, yet dont want to pay $8,000 for a low km one.

Add in high k's, lower the value.

not looking good .

gph1961, Sep 5, 5:46pm
get some chickens
ideal chook house

franc123, Sep 5, 7:57pm
I'd forget it especially if this 'crash' has caused even a sniff of structural damage.

supern0va, Sep 5, 8:35pm
Even parted, you wouldnt think demand would be high? Turn it into a demolition derby car and at least give it one last thrash.

lythande1, Sep 5, 8:38pm
Meaningless.

Asking price, meh.

Expired listings is what you check:

2 listings, showing 1 to 2

Photo
BMW 740i 740i 1996
236,000km, Sedan, 4cc petrol engine
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
Auction Closed
Save to watchlist
Reserve Met
$1,105
1 bid
Excludes On Road Costs

Photo
BMW 740i 4.4 V8 1996
160,000km, Sedan, 4400cc petrol engine, automatic
Auckland City, Auckland
Auction Closed
Save to watchlist
$3,500 Buy Now
No Reserve
$3,500
No bids

saxman99, Sep 5, 9:42pm
If you look at it purely as an economic exercise, i.e. Focused solely on the vehicles' inherent value then it's not worth doing. However, if doing such a job brings other things with it, like the satisfaction of 'saving' a beautifully built car from the scrappie, or enjoying driving a superbly engineered luxury car which cost 160k+ when new etc then you are considering the intrinsic value which may be quite high, especially if the car was previously owned by someone noteworthy to you.

If this was Ed Hillary's old car would you fix it? Does it matter? Would a BMW enthusiast fix it? Should you give it away to someone who will put in the time and effort to sort it out?

budgel, Sep 5, 11:37pm
I sold my 1999 WOF & Registered 740i for $1500 recently because while it was great to drive, it was going to need some money spent on it in the near future, and wasnt worth doing it for me because I couldnt see the value in doing that for what is now an old (albeit classy) car. The guy that bought it was at the start of his ownership journey and wanted a project, so I let it go cheaply rather than dick around hoping for more money. I had purchased it cheaply in the first place, which meant I was dropping less than $500 per anum over the seven years or so I owned it. (Not counting the new battery, good rubber & suspension & other maintenance parts I had put into it.)

1996 is pre-facelift, so feels even older than the one I had.

In your case I see no economic sense in what you are wanting to do.
It would only make sense if you think that long term ownership for yourself is what you want, as the money you spend would probably average out to not too much over several years.

jc555, Sep 6, 7:22am
Thank you everyone for your considered replies. I now know how to proceed.

There is a lot of intrinsic value attached to the car. And will provide a project for a family member.

Thanks again.

kazbanz, Sep 6, 11:32am
if its an insurance wright off then I feel its going to cost a LOT more than its worth to repair it.
My breakdown of costs for you to give you an indication.
Recompliance inspection $400
Engineers report $400-$500
Rego from MR2 a $300
wheel alignment $50 (needed by engineer)
Those are the fixed costs ^^^^ no matter whats required repair wise.
Then you have the costs of the repairs which can't be done by anyone.
Structural repairs must be carried out to the engineers specifications which are usually Manufacturers specs.
Basicly iof repairing for sentimental reasons go for it,.But its going to cost you a fair bit

flack88, Sep 6, 1:14pm
The M62 4.4 have a bad habit of destroying the timing chain,i know of one on rotton row now,not a cheap fix,the earlier 4litre no vanos have a lot bigger beefy chain.

elect70, Sep 6, 1:43pm
The V8 engine is worth good $ c/w its loom for projects rest of it bugger all, I wouldnt bother fixing it if its had a bad enough shunt to be a write off

supernova2, Sep 6, 8:16pm
IMHO the costs of getting through the process are going to be far more than the vehicle will be worth. Apart from the compulsory fees what is the likely costs of the repair work needed to get through the compliance process?

meow_mix, Oct 4, 1:48pm
The value of owning and driving a nice car like that is immeasurable. I guess a lot depends on how bad the crash damage is. The car may increase in value over the years as it goes from "tired old Euro-box" to "desirable classic".