Class 1 car licence weight limit

Page 2 / 2
mrfxit, Jul 25, 2:47pm
Quoted from NZTA ph call just now.

Either of. . 6t manufactures GVM or 6t gross weight for class 1 FULL driver license, inclusive.

Either of. . Classification of Motorhome/ learners/ restricted license operating an up to 6t gvm rated vehicle is allowed up to 4.5t gross inclusive

4.5t only applies to class reg'd Motorhomes/ learners & restricted license holders

6t gross is for all other class 1 full license holders (2 years full applies)

If the vehicle is reg'd GVM of over 6t, then you need a class 2 license
Gross weight under 6t rated doesn't apply

pettal, Jul 25, 5:06pm
And - if said vehicle has a GMV 3500kg and over it is classed as heavy and restricted to 90km on open road .

bashfulbro, Jul 25, 5:08pm
i recall, reading somewhere that the reason for the change was because tourists were arriving here, hiring motorhomes for holidays then finding they couldn`t legally drive them,on car licence.Lobbying from Motorhome assoc, and Tourism organisations brought about the change,and it certainly wasn`t in the interests of safety.

tweake, Jul 25, 5:30pm
i'll fix that.

6 ton manufactures GVM or 6 ton GCM for class 1 FULL driver license, inclusive.
so its 3 ton 4x4 towing a 3 ton trailer, not a 6 ton small truck AND towing a light trailer.

mrfxit, Jul 25, 6:00pm
We can do better
6t manufactures GVM with max gross @ 4.5T for learners / restricted licenses & anyone driving a vehicle reg'd as Motorhome.

All others on full license (2 years & over) can drive 6t manufactures GVM & up to 6t max gross.

Over 6t manufactures GVM requires a class2 regardless of legal load limits

henderson_guy, Jul 25, 6:39pm
I think learners can only drive up to 4500 gvm. Restricted can drive up to 6000kg gvm, laden to max 4500, and full unrestricted up to 6000kg gvm

mrfxit, Jul 25, 6:41pm
Post #27

ross1970, Jul 27, 9:48pm
The 5995 swtspot. No class2 no logbook no tsl. 6t is so much more useful than the old 4.5t

mrfxit, Jul 27, 10:01pm
LOL, yea but who would want to operate that close to the weight limit

ross1970, Jul 27, 10:47pm
I'm talking about manufacturers having models with a 5995 gvm.

mrfxit, Jul 28, 10:40am
Yep but still sitting pretty close for a full std license holder with a full load.
Ppl get tempted all the time to just "load it up" & it'all be fine.

2sheddies, Jul 28, 12:03pm
My truck has a GVM of just under 6 ton but would rarely be anywhere near that. Nice to have it in reserve though, if it's ever needed. It's much, much better than the old 4500kg which was useless.

I wouldn't feel comfortable however, sitting in the passenger seat while someone with no experience driving a heavier vehicle was in charge. Whilst small by truck standards, it's still very much a truck and behaves totally differently to a car. Same could be said for one with a 4500kg limit. They're not cars and have to be driven appropriately.

mrfxit, Jul 28, 12:08pm
Yep keep telling ppl with proper 4x4 vehicles the same thing, it's far more of a truck then a "car" . but they still keep sliding off the road & chewing front tyres trying to drive them like a proper car.

mrfxit, Nov 10, 6:41pm
Pretty much anything with a specific GVM tagged on it's door & or a full size 6 stud hub (or more), has thrown the "car" concept out the window.