Buy a car Privately

stuckonyou, Nov 2, 10:38am
I never bought a car privately before, I have always got my cars from a sales yard. What do I need to look out for when I buy privately?

Also, what is best process to use when transferring vehicle ownership privately?

You feedback and help is always appreciated!

bjmh, Nov 2, 11:55am
Do some homework on the vehicle you intend buying,if you know how carjam the Number plate number and you can see a bit of info,you can also buy a report on the security of the vehicle. if it has money owing on it. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/ is the site to change ownership online,fairly straight forward.Try and get someone to do a pre-purchase inspection on the car you want.

kazbanz, Nov 2, 12:17pm
There are a few traps a private buyer could fall into.
1)Do a full security check on the vehicle to ensure theres no money owing.
If you are concerned about the seller its worth double checking before you part with the money
2) Check a carjam report to check if the mileage has been "adjusted" and also to see if the vehicle has been deregistered in NZ-suggesting itsbeen a written off vehicle.
3)get a full and comprehensive PP inspection carried out. remembering there is no comeback if the vehicle has a fudged over fault.
4) Get a proper receipt/invoice for the vehicle with the sellers name and address vehicle details on it.
5) do C of O immediately.

intrade, Nov 2, 12:43pm
if you buy private less consumer guarantee act bullox.
The problems of today are people buy cars unseen i sold my hilux unseen the guy! HE. was local never came to look. Lucky i dont sell stuff that is of absolute no value like cars Who are about to blow up or have hidden ultra expensive electronic faults.
This brings it to the next thing you want a Good inspection not a AA report who tells you how many paint scratches it has .
The next problem is if it is a true bargain then it be gone! quickly to somone who thinks everyone has to give 100 year guarantee and it must all be showroom new or better.
This is the problem you face as while you do a inspection to saveguard against to buy a poo-fighter some moron just might click buy now based on pure ignorance.
From a dealer you have consumer gurantee act. its however better to buy from a dealer who actuarly lets you know this = they are most probaby fixing things without huge fuss should you have a claim.
Next thing is a vehicle sold by a dealer should in theory cost 3000$ more then a private sale as a dealer has to give these guarantees and has to try and make a living from the profit.
O you could say private listings should be about 3 grand less then dealers prices. This is however not the case . But gives you things to think about. What do you want cga law from dealers or being shafted by somone. and dealers can shaft you also of course . just remember scamstain1 who import complied and sold his own wracks from japan till he was nuked.

msigg, Nov 2, 1:13pm
Get a car inspection done from a good reputable service do the change of ownership online when you pay. Easy as. Take a photo of their licence and get their address for future reference if needed.

tamarillo, Nov 2, 7:53pm
As above, get it properly inspected mechanically, then if you're happy check car jam for milage and security, then do a deal, get reciept, and you can do paperwork online https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/buying-and-selling-a-vehicle/ or local AA or postshop. You can pick up a form at AA or postshop so you can get seller to provide info and do there bit.

stuckonyou, Nov 2, 9:55pm
Thanks for all the lovely advice in this thread.

I was going to get the inspection done at the AA inspection centre, but instead of the AA, who would you recommend in Auckland?

The car is Japanese import and only been in the country since July. Is it worth paying the extra $44.90 for Japan History from Jam Report?

headcat, Nov 3, 9:08am
I have bought a number of cars sight unseen with only one deal that was a bit dodgy and that from a 'dealer'. Use your own best judgment and be prepared to take a gamble.

toyboy3, Nov 3, 10:25am
What model year and make is the car ?

myrns, Nov 3, 10:33am
I have noticed alot of cars sold privately often are not much cheaper (or in fact dearer ) than dealers. Dont just go and buy that car without test driving the exact same model for comparison.

billyfieldman, Nov 3, 11:59am
I have seen a couple of private sellers who say they are selling on behalf of a friend who has gone overseas.

In this type of situation, are there any extra steps to be taken?

kazbanz, Nov 3, 1:40pm
I would question as to why someone is selling their car after just a couple of months. It may very well be a "Vehicle trader"

stuckonyou, Nov 3, 2:00pm
Toyota Vitz 2012. Looking at buying either Toyota Vitz 2012 or Mazda Demio 2011. I'm trying to choose between them.

stuckonyou, Nov 3, 2:00pm
I wondered the same, but he said he is moving to Australia in a couple of months.

kazbanz, Nov 3, 2:26pm
But bought a car a couple of months ago? hmmm
Do be careful with the vitz. The 1300/1500 are great cars The 996 cc--called 1000 is for our use gutless and ends up costing more to run than the 1300

stuckonyou, Nov 3, 2:27pm
Thank you for the info about 996cc Vitz. That is good to know.

captaink, Nov 3, 7:58pm
If every seller that was 'moving overseas' actually did, then I am sure that we would have zero population growth ! The number of traders that i have followed as 'moving overseas' and then are happily trading on here 6mths or so later beggars belief. When questioned, every time it is the same answer, 'Oh circumstances changed' , yea right.

supernova2, Nov 3, 8:10pm
My initial reaction to that is "what a load of codswallop". Well my reaction was a little more obscene than that but I selfedited.

laurelanne, Dec 8, 3:42pm
There are only two reasons too want to deal privately. One, the vehicle is so cheap, a dealer would not be interested because there is no margin in it for him or two. You know the vehicle and it is being traded, so you have an opportunity to buy at a discount.