Best time to buy car from a dealership?

bazfan, Sep 4, 10:52pm
Hi Guys

Looking at getting a USED car from a name brand dealership- Honda. I have seen that the car has been on trademe since July and they ran a weekend clearance on it with a reduced price and it did not sell.

The question I had is how long are dealerships happy to keep a used car on their yard as they specialize in selling new and surely as a trade in car they would have got a good price on it

Over the phone the salesman was saying that its been slow with car sales because of the election. Has anyone had any luck with trying to get a reduced price on these trade ins at named dealerships. Car is priced at $18k so not a cheap dunga!

slarty45, Sep 5, 4:50am
Just keep rubbing it in that you know it has been on the yard for a while.
Ask if it has seized from lack of use etc.

A greedy Shadboltville dealer had an overpriced car I was keen on that sat for 7 months. It was 2.5k too much & they offered 3k less for my trade than the others.

serf407, Sep 5, 8:06am
You might go back sometime and find the vehicle has been transferred to another dealer down country.

franc123, Sep 5, 8:07am
Could believe that, have heard similar before, it seems a bit weird that these 'Shadboltville' dealers think they have a captive market and charge accordingly. Maybe they need educating in the fact its possible to relocate better cheaper cars from Auckland or other NI centres for around a $1000-1200 and that their Southland Buyers Premiums of several grand aren't acceptable.

slarty45, Sep 5, 10:26am
They seem to go for max profit and don`t seem to mind if the near new traded cars sit on yard for ages. An ignorant mug might wander in and buy them.
I did buy 1 new from them & traded it on another new a year later, but I determined the deal or I go to Dunedin or Queenstown same brand dealer. They humed & harred for a long time and got within $250 so it worked.
Other dealers I have used at D&Q are less greedy and near new traded cars sell much faster.
One I traded at D had a buyer in 2 days, another at Q took a week.

kazbanz, Sep 5, 12:26pm
bazfan- Have you done due diligence ? So how does this car stack up compared to others elsewhere in NZ?

nz_stacie, Sep 5, 8:35pm
try look at a different car

trouser, Sep 5, 9:48pm
An hour or so after lunch is usually about the best time to buy a car from a yard. First thing in the morning is no good as they might not have had their coffee and are a bit grumpy. Morning tea time is a big no-no as is afternoon tea. Between morning tea and lunch is get paperwork done time not sell car time. Later in the day closer to closing and there is not enough time to do all the paperwork properly and energy levels are low. So really after lunch is ideal.

mharwood, Sep 5, 9:56pm
maybe 1130pm good time to go on the net and offer them a deal i sold a number that way

bryshaw, Sep 6, 10:46pm
Has the Honda got a full service history?

framtech, Sep 7, 12:14am
Most likely over priced, barter with them or walk away

91zero, Oct 4, 1:52am
For new cars, towards the end of the month when they are trying to meet their "quota". New cars sales don't tend to provide dealerships with much in the way of profit, the profit from new car sales comes from achieving a sales target assigned to them by the parent company for which they earn a bonus.

I THINK the same goes for used cars purchased by a dealership from the parent company.