Recommendations for a midsize SUV

bazfan, Aug 26, 2:38pm
Still looking for a new car. Budget is $15k and below. Usage is regular trips into the city during the week (bout 15kms a day) then longer trips in the weekend up to the Bach in Northland. I love my Mazda 6 but on long trips it really hurts my back so looking to get a car with a higher seating position.

Would need to have

- good safety features like 6+ airbags and stability control as a lot of yobbos driving mad in the far north
- ok acceleration for the open road
- economical and able to run on 91 for city driving
- enough boot space for 2 dogs

Saw a good 2011 Rav4 priced under $11k but it went in the day before I was able to have a look. The 5spd ones are great but harder to find. Like the Vanguard but lack of spare tyre up north wont work. Any others let me know

trogedon, Aug 26, 3:45pm
Wouldn't a better shaped seat be preferable over just a raised vehicle?

msigg, Aug 26, 6:37pm
We purchased our RAV4 2 years ago for 16k 2010, NZ model limited, my wife loves it, we do long trips in it with the cruize control and it is fantastic, she drives it to work everyday in auckland traffic and finds it really good, very comfortable and very easy to get in and out, my Prado is a lot higher so harder for her to get into. You just need to keep looking and be quick as they are in demand. What about CRV. Have you driven the RAV4, if not you need to to see if you like them. May be a subaru, or nissan. Depends what you like. Yea not many in manual.

bazfan, Aug 26, 8:50pm
Thanks Msigg what’s the difference between the LTD and the normal model?

By 5 Spd I mean 5spd Auto which is on some of the Ravs from 2010 onwards. I wouldn’t mind a manual but those are even rarer

bazfan, Aug 26, 10:27pm
Thanks Guys- everything is newish on the 6 - it has only done 70K. Not so sure on the Ssanyong Poppy- although I’m keen on the Kia Sportage as well

Biggest challenge is finding a good one

bazfan, Aug 26, 10:28pm
Love the CX5 - they still hold their value so well

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 10:33pm
Skoda Yeti or VW Tiguan. Drive them both, I don't see you wanting anything else after that. Especially if you take economy and servicing in to account.

kazbanz, Aug 27, 6:58am
bazfan-Im not convinced that your reason for wanting a 4wd vehicle is gonna work out for you.
My reasoning being that most of them have the same bum to floor relationship that your mazda 6 has.
I think the 6 is still a bit old school with seat height getting in and out but that's not your issue.
I would suggest trying a mark X Zio as a point of reference. --Higher and softer seat might be your solution.

s_nz, Aug 29, 9:25pm
You could take a look at something like what I have, a 2006 Lexus RX400h. Its about 100mm longer than a current Rav4. Mine was $13,500

Seats are really soft felt way better than other cars we tried in the used, 10 year old large SUV space (Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW x5, Subaru outback, Volvo XC90). Both drivers and passengers seats have electronic height and lumber support adjustment.

Regarding your requirements:

- Safety: loaded with safety stuff, heaps of airbags (even one for the drivers knees). Also has headlights that look around corners, and a 2tonne empty kerb weight if somebody crashes into you.
- Acceleration: This is a powerful car. 200kW powertrain, 7.6sec 0-100.
- Economy is reasonable. rated at 8.1L/100km (95RON). On the open road, mine tends to use (dash reported) 8 to 9 L/100k real world. In the city, with lots of cold starts and short trips, tends to be 9 - 10.5 L/100km. The latter is way better than my 1.8L corolla hatchback doing the same duty.
- Boot is reasonably sized, if your dogs are super tall, might want to check they won't hit their heads on the sloped rear windscreen.

It has a full sized spare, which is something many cars lack these days.

nz_stacie, Aug 29, 9:38pm
Tax these type of hazard things on the road

bazfan, Aug 29, 10:21pm
Hi Kazbanz I like the zio but I want to be able to tow and I’m not sure the CVT would be up to it. They are nice cars but the people mover aspect also puts me off

bazfan, Aug 29, 10:22pm
looks good thanks!

mack77, Aug 29, 10:41pm
What are these "hazard things"?

flack88, Aug 30, 8:20am
I think he means Chinese tourists in an 018 Highlander,which fortunately for us has lane departure mitigation!?

serf407, Aug 30, 2:48pm
If there is a problem with your back, I doubt that changing vehicles is going to fix your back.
Bit on car seat egonomics
http://www.ergonomics4schools.com/lzone/seating.htm (suggest frequent breaks etc) https://bit.ly/2C6dBCq gel car seat cushions etc

trogedon, Aug 31, 7:57am
They're just trying to justify buying an SUV.

kazbanz, Aug 31, 10:30am
Sorry mate I think you are missing my point. I'm saying that going to a 4x4 I don't feel is going to actually sort your main reason for wanting to change. I'm suggesting TRYING a Zio and see how it feels on your back. Then you will know you are on the right track.
There is this fulla in westysville would lend ya his zio prolly iffn ya askd nicely. --I do love a nice muffin :-)

kazbanz, Oct 11, 4:42pm
Bazfan- mate heres another thought. Have a crack at fixing the issue not the car. I could point you to a darn good Physio who might sort out your lower back/core. -Not being a smart ass but for other reasons Ive really been foccussed on this and the side effect is no back pain driving.