Rust underneath my suv

spirithigh, Dec 16, 2:45am
my truck hasn't had a warrant or rego for nearly a year now because there's rust underneath it (on the chasis maybe!)and it was going to cost more than i have to fix it at the panel beaters.anyway i have a friend with a pit i thought if i get underneath it, scrape the rust off with a wire brush and paint over it with . 'rust killer'! or something!does that sound right and would it do the trick!

also - what happens exactly when/if my truck goes over a year without being registered!will it cost me more if they de-register it!any help/advice gladly accepted. thanks!

pico42, Dec 16, 2:53am
Has the vehicle failed a WoF or have you simply not taken it in for a check!

How bad is the rust! Surface rust only, or big gaping holes!

vtecintegra, Dec 16, 2:55am

spirithigh, Dec 16, 3:04am
it hasn't failed yet but last time it i got a wof (over a year ago) i was told i was going to have to take care of the rust underneath it.so i'm not sure how bad it is.i guess it's a years worth worse than when it didn't quite fail.i dun even know why it is so rusty.i don't live near a sea and the vehicle is 12 years old, ford explorer.

vtecintegra - thanks for that info.will check it out.

snoopy221, Dec 16, 4:53am
mmm surely ya astutley put the rego on exemption!

rustihammer, Dec 16, 5:06am
Bog it and underseal.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 5:19am
Anywhere you can get back to rust or metal go for POR-15. You can underseal over that if you wish. Its important to read the instructions as its possible to "over prepare" and then it will peel off like celotape.

You MUST wear gloves as this stuff will not come off your hands for a month.
My other trick is to decant it from the tin with a laundry scoop so you don't get it in the track of the tin. If you do get any in the track clean it thoroughly with a Q tip before putting the lid on.

When you put the lid on put a single layer of shopping bag plastic underneath. This is a MUST as if there is any POR-15 in the track of the tin you will not get it open again.

Great stuff, just use it right!

franc123, Dec 16, 6:58am
spirithigh wrote:
it hasn't failed yet but last time it i got a wof (over a year ago) i was told i was going to have to take care of the rust underneath it.so i'm not sure how bad it is.i guess it's a years worth worse than when it didn't quite fail.i dun even know why it is so rusty.i don't live near a sea and the vehicle is 12 years old, ford explorer.

A previous owner has probably used it to tow boats, pretty common with Exploders.Bit late now but its something that should have been got onto ages ago, but assuming it hasn't gone over the magic 12 months since it was last licensed then all is not lost.Find out exactly how much longer you've got to exempt it from licensing and pay whatever you owe now and exempt it so at least that gives you some breathing space.Then get someone who knows about these problems to advise you on what needs to be done and what costs are involved, it may be possible to DIY with a strip disc or sandblasting to get the worst of it off and then use a decent rust/metal sealer product like POR to get it painted, with any luck it won't have eaten into it too far.With any corrosion problems delaying treating them or having a vehicles registration lapse thats got rust problems is the worst thing you can do, it can be an expensive nightmare to get it all sorted again.