Advice on 2010 Outback vs 2010 Accord Tourer

mariecc, Oct 22, 9:11pm
Hi there, we are after a wagon for us. The main things are space (boot space and backseat space), comfort, driver fun and safety.

Have narrowed it down to two cars and after advice on them

Subaru Outback 3.6 or 2.5 2010 onwards
Pros
- Good dealer network and very common type of car
-AWD for added safety
- The 3.6 is very fun to drive and we are mostly using it for long trips so fuel efficiency isnt a big issue
- The added height and visibility without having to go SUV
- Chain drive of the 3.6
Cons
- Haven't heard good things about Subaru reliability although I think the newer ones are better
- Not the best looking car
-possibly more maintenance because of AWD

The other choice is the 2008-2011 Honda Accord Tourer
Pros
- Looks great
- High level of spec vs the Subaru
- Have heard good things about Honda durability
- They are usually priced cheaper than a Outback
Cons
- Don't think resale is great as not a common car
- Visibility not as good because of lower height
- Because the design ran from 2008 they do seem a bit dated in terms of electrics etc hard to find ones with a good infotainment system

Any thoughts on the forum? Have test driven both and the Outback is the better drive by far buy you pay about $4k more and my mechanic thinks I will be better off repairs wise with the Honda

Thanks!

ryanm2, Oct 22, 10:27pm
Modern Subaru's are bullet proof.

msigg, Oct 23, 9:13am
have seen older subaru with 3-400k on them all fine, it all depends who services them if at all, plenty have had dingbats thrash them and do no maintenance till they die. Look after your motor and it will serve you well.

tamarillo, Oct 23, 9:31am
I had to make choice including these two a few years back and went Honda. But I like a sporty drive and the Honda handling, steering, and revvy vtec won me. Far better than the 2.5 sub which is gutless and attached to a cvt - yuk. Plus sub is freaking ugly for American tastes.
Resell on Honda is good if it's NZ new as our ones were high spec cars sold to private buyers, plus only used the 2.4.
I'd only go sub if it was the six cyclinder outback then you get some usuability (snow fields) and power and proper auto. But thirsty and more Complicated.

mals69, Oct 23, 9:42am
Honda in terms of engineering knowledge make
subaru look like a "school boy".

mariecc, Oct 23, 11:00am
Thanks guys looking at the 6 cylinder Outback and not the 2.5 CVT. I test drove the 2.5 and its very gutless.

The dealer told me that the Accord Tourer is the last of the Accord wagons as Honda switch from wagons to the new CRV and HRV. Anyone know why- is it because they didnt sell well?

The Outback seems a lot simpler and less electronics to go wrong in the cabin so leaning that way

kazbanz, Oct 23, 2:07pm
With those two choices quite honestly I would go with whatever you feel best driving.
not being smart alecy but both good cars both reliable. --I prefer the Honda to drive myself but that's personal preference not a recommendation.
Just get a PP inspection before purchase.

magrador, Oct 26, 12:41am
Bought a 21010 3.6 Outback nearly a month ago after looking through the mid-size SUVs and very happy. Holds the road, unlike suvs, and I like the way it drives. Comfortable, not too fussy and well-thought details like the lights-off when the engine stops. Better fuel economy than I had thought - getting 9.3km/l. Feels solid, safe, can stow a small army and lots of room for backseat passengers.

dublo, Oct 26, 5:52pm
Our WoF mechanic says "Discerning people buy Hondas!"

marmar1, Dec 13, 6:44pm
My WoF mechanic says " Practical people buy Subarus "