Self Parking or Park assist, which car to choose

lola1515, Sep 7, 6:08pm
We are wanting to buy a new family car, can anyone recommend or give feedback on cars that have parking assist? Preferably both parallel and perpendicular park assist. Our budget up to 50000 Dollars. Thanks

socram, Sep 7, 7:38pm
"Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets. "

edangus, Sep 7, 7:48pm
Have it on the Jeep. Have not used it. Apparently it is very good. but it relies on the cars around you to be parked correctly.
That means if they have parked in the kerb or on the kerb so will you.
(This was from the dealer who had smashed a rim using it) so not that keen to try it.
It will hunt out the park for you too allegedly. Cool idea, not sure I will ever use.

edangus, Sep 7, 7:49pm
Pretty sure the Holden Astra has it too

sr2, Sep 7, 7:57pm
The VW Tiguan has Park Assist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5yUOAcdH8

fordcrzy, Sep 7, 8:13pm
#DRIVINGLESSONS

tamarillo, Sep 7, 8:26pm
Commodore i had included park assist. It would find a big enough spot, then take steering and tell me what to do with gears and movement then get me slowing down and stopping. Used to impress the kids but that's all. But, if someone wants it, why not?
Op, so many new cars have it, at least option it, I'm not sure anyone can give a list. Cars that have it overseas might not here.
Think you need to decide what kinda car you want, make a shortlist, then ask dealers which have it. Then if you ask here you might get some useful info about which one rates well etc.

2sheddies, Sep 7, 8:33pm
When ya reach a stage in life where ya got 50k to blow on a wagon, who wants to bother driving the dang thing especially when your hands are full with those double shot mochas. May as well get all the techno gadgets.

sw20, Sep 7, 8:54pm
Try finding a manual transmission on a new car.

caleb.b, Sep 9, 10:12pm
Tiguan is Great, Always parked itself perfectly first time while we had it on loan. Scary the first time you let go of the wheel though, takes some getting used to.

berg, Sep 10, 7:09am
Yep. All our vehicles are manual and they are getting harder to find. Prefer the hands on driving experience rather than the vehicle doing half the work myself. As for self parking, I find it gimmicky and don't bother using it when driving cars with it.

db.price, Sep 10, 7:52am
Ford doing as $46k special on the Mondeo Titanium which has park assist. Also the Escape has it too.
As VW Tguan has it
Possibly Sloda Kodiaq or Seat Alteca

I am with a few others on here. I think it would be a nice toy but could never see myself actually using it I can park pretty well and rare I have to have a go at a parallel park twice.

But the Mondeo is a nice car. James Bond can't be wrong 😁😁😁

vtecintegra, Sep 10, 9:42am
My Mazda 3 is a manual.

Most of the cars I'd be interesting in upgrading to are still available with manual transmissions (Toyota 86, Focus ST, Golf GTI etc the Golf is apparently special order but the manual is the only thing available in the Focus)

lola1515, Sep 10, 11:15am
Thanks everyone. Theres not much out there. Weve decided the ford escape is too expensive. We are thinking about the Nissan Qashqai and Volkswagen Tiguan comfortline. Except we wanted heated leather seats (kids, cold wife) but the comfortline doesnt seem as well finished even if we get them relined. The mercedes (ex demo) was flawless but we dont want a mercedes just because of our own preconceptions/ risk of vandalism
We were not aware of Skoda and Seat having park assisst so we will look into those.

vtecintegra, Sep 10, 11:19am
Skoda and Seat are just other VW brands

Don't expect miracles BTW - I've used a few of those systems and none will get into a typical fairly tight parking space like you'd find in Wellington or Auckland especially not on a longer car like the Mondeo.

clark20, Sep 10, 12:55pm
The Commodores' have it and it works well

neell, Sep 10, 1:30pm
I have friends in Aussie and none of their children (30 to 40 year olds) know how to drive a manual.
I guess it will be the same here soon if not already.
Madness

db.price, Sep 10, 2:56pm
Ford were just doing the top of the line Escape - the Diesel model too - for $46000 so will within your budget. Likewise the Mondeo for the same price.

The Skoda has park assist as standard in the top model - but that is $55K plus ORC. Had a quick look at the Seat - but didn't see it there.

db.price, Sep 10, 3:18pm
Nothing - but technology is developing to help us and to make things easier for us. 10 years ago a car that told you if you were wandering out of lane was almost non-existent (outside Marque brands), as was it telling you there was something in your blind spot, or behind you. Headlights that went around corners (though the Tucker Torpedo tried it in the 40s), or headlights that dip or adjust their beam automatically. Cruise control that adjusts it's speed for the traffic conditions, and systems that see road signs. Cars that can brake for you if you are not paying attention, or brake harder if you're not.

Most new cars now have these - and not just the expensive ones. Cars in the sub $30k area are getting many of these features.

In a further 10 years autonomous driving will be widely available.

klrider, Sep 12, 7:35am
I keep mine in the passenger seat, very difficult to turn off too.

sr2, Sep 22, 12:44pm
LOL; you're talking about the optional 'passenger seat airbag'?