Electric car charge cost not woppy weed cost!

intrade, Sep 23, 10:34am
i only have 1 meter Anytime . Reality not fiction power dont comes from aliens behind the moon for free.
So Genesys has 2 pland one 81 cent the other 1$ per day that cost has to be used to calculate your cost to charge your electric car the cost dont just magically dont exists like some of you dopheads think.
Daily Fixed Charge - cents/day 81.00 100.00
imes 30 days is 30$ for just the conection without a single unit of electricity or 24.40$ per month to have a outlet who sells you the power.
Variable Anytime - cents/kWh 26.71 28.91
are the units you get charged in nortland . there is cheaper units for night and all sorts.
Fact is i only have 1 meter so i have to pay that high cost.
another fact is during the day thats your charge cost .
No matter how much weed you smoke that fact wont change .

intrade, Sep 23, 10:34am
So 14kw nissan per day times 30 days = 420 kw unit.
420 times 26.71 =11218.2 cent 1$ is 100 cent divide by 100= 112$ thats the power plus 24.40= 136.60 rounded up
That is the true cost of a electric car fuel per month .divided by 30= 4.55$
if i recall right 14 kw was used for 60km thats pritty darn expensive considering power prices go up and up all the time plus you add ruc that comes soon to electric car and you are shafted big time.
if you look at other power companys they are all the same cost plus or minus a few cent they just make the daily charge higher if they give you a few cent lower unit prices.
its called pulling the wool over your eyes.
there is eaven more charges on the elcricity bill i have not eaven included in this calculation.
like gst on top . some districts have multiple extra sub charges where costs are hidden and offset against your suppesed cheaper power
in taumarunui i pay 11 cent a kw and if i use many unites the lines charge goes sky high for 12 month some pay 5000doller connection charge per month do you really think it matter if they get power for 1 cent if they get charged 5 g large . What matters is the bottom of the bill if i pay 4.20 for 420kw unites and 5 grand for a connection then my power is not 4.20 my power is 5tousend and 4.20$ divided by 30 days of the month.

bitsy_boffin, Sep 23, 11:34am
Your posts are barely intelligible. It doesn't help that you are confusing units.

Watt (and thereby kilowatt) are units of instantaneous power.

Watt-Hour (and thereby kilowatt hour) are units of consumption (power over time).

"14kw was used for 60km" doesn't make any sense without a time component, namely hours.

I will be generous and assume you just typo'd several times and meant to write kWh.

A quick google. "Under its five-cycle testing, the United States Environmental Protection Agency found the 2011 model Leaf's energy consumption to be 0.212 kWh/km", thereby for 60k will require 12.72 kWh, but ok let's say 14kWh.

If you do 60k per day and charge at home, then yes you are going to use an extra 14kWh. I run a heater in my home office all day and most the night in winter, that heater uses more than 14kWh per day. My household uses far more than 14kWh per day.

It is not a large amount of power at all.

I don't know about in Taumaranui where you live, but down here lines charges are fixed at about that $30/month. The more power you use, the cheaper it gets because the lines charge is amortised into your usage.

intrade, Sep 23, 3:03pm
14 kw was used by somone to charge his elecrtic leaf to drive 60km.
the above is from genesys in northland .
in taumarunui its a complete mess and they have been in fair go and are under negotiation of changes for fairer prices.

The way it was in taumarunui was if you used a lot of power in the winter months then the lines charges go up per month and that the whole year . for maximum profits.
Now they are changes planned to time of use , but they stated that it wont change the fact that they need the same amount of money as they always had just that some pay a lot more and some less with any changes due to the huge nework and few customers .
The thing is however. you can tell them to come and remove the meter and f. k off like the women across the road did and fit your own solar cells.
Then they have eaven less customers to pay . So yea id like to keep that option open its why i converted to gas the heating and cooking and if i change to a califont i can fit solar cells and tell em to remove the meter also. if they think they want to keep shafting people in the lines company district.
i currently pay something like 26$ lines charge i paid 100 a year ago and i paid 1200$ while not having any power the first few years. So yea my simpathy for the lines company is not extreemly huge.
things would change if you used night time power instead of boiling the water heater charge the car.
if the ripple charges for hot water are excluded from high lines charges then you would want to hack your electric car in to the place of the hot water and have ultra cheap power in taumarunui. i pay 11 cent per kw with pules . So power is extreemly cheap here but lines charges to deliver are extortionately high.

framtech, Sep 23, 3:33pm
A better option would be to buy a real car and put petrol in it instead of fooling yourself you a the great evo man saving the planet, NOT

johotech, Sep 23, 3:47pm
As usual, you make little sense.

But anyway, here is the calculation.

14kW charge, giving you 60km.
30 days per month=
420kW of power consumed. (You can forget about the hours, because that is just related to how fast you consumed the power - it's the total used that matters - this is a whole different discussion and if you don't understand it, then just take my word for it).

1,800km driven.

Forget about the fixed daily charge. Presumably, you need to have power connected so you will incur that charge anyway.

So 420kW @ 26.7c = $112
divided by 1,800km = 6.23c per km.
At $2 per litre, that would equal 32.1km per litre
Which equals 3.11 litres per 100km.

Sounds reasonable.

, Sep 23, 4:03pm
Ok, not another one of these threads with a whole bunch of the same people who don't own electric vehicles talking about something they know nothing about?

Here goes. with some real world operating cost numbers from a real car:
2011 Generation 1 Leaf X, purchased beginning of April 2016 for $12000.
Mileage at time of purchased 13000km
Current Mileage 49000km
Distance traveled 36000km
Average efficiency (flat Canterbury plains driving open road approx 100km/day energy usage around 14Kwh per day)
Average price of power paid when charging the car (at night on Flick electric) 13c per Kwh. 13c x 14Kwh = $1.82 per 100km (probably slightly less in reality but close enough).
So 36000km at $1.82 per 100km = $655

No maintenance except air in the tyres and washer water in that time (no oil, no filters, no nothing).

$655 in fuel costs.

In reality its cost a lot less than this as it gets free charging at work regularly.

To put it into perspective for you if this was a normal hatch like a Corolla it would have cost about the same price for an equivalent vehicle in purchase price but would have used something like $5600 in fuel (at around 8l/100km) and have required several services. All while driving a car with far less performance.

johotech, Sep 23, 4:09pm
Of course, work to your own real world figures.
I was just correcting Intrade's garbled, weed induced mess, and used his figures for his power costs. Obviously your power cost is different.

, Sep 23, 4:13pm
Yes, for some reason Intrade is totally obsessed with bagging EV's despite have no experience at all with them (never owned or driven any), pretty much no grasp on how electricity is charged for (e.g. fixed charges vs actual cost paid for power). I don't understand why he bothers, this has to be about the 5th thread he's started.

johotech, Sep 23, 4:14pm
So it's 6 years old now. and do you know how much it will cost to replace all the batteries when that's required?

, Sep 23, 4:22pm
It had an 85% SOH battery when I purchased it, its now at 83%. At its current rate of degradation it will no longer make its daily commute (with charging at work) in around 10 years. Its very difficult to extrapolate what the cost per Kwh will be in 10 years, but if it were to decline at its current rate it would be something like $1440.

The car is free in around 2.5 years on operating costs versus the car it replaced so its not really something I've looked at.

Currently you can't buy a battery in NZ, but there is a company in Auckland who do refurbs, but not something I'll need to do.

To give you an idea of how reliable EV batteries are if you look after them:
http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-400k-km-250k-mi-7-percent-battery-degradation/

johotech, Sep 23, 4:27pm
Umm, you're comparing a Nissan to a Tesla?
Are you intrade's southern cousin?

Battery life is certainly going to be relative to how they have been treated during their life.

And considering you were extolling the virtue of no oil/filter maintenance etc, I thought I would just point out that they are not maintenance free - and that 10 year battery replacement/maintenance could easily cost $5k or more at a guess.

ryanm2, Sep 23, 4:32pm
Those Leaf's are awesome cars. Not sure why everyone get all hot and bothered about the potential of Tesla (namely the 3 model) as the Leaf is already here, been here for a number of years and has excellent reliability worldwide. At 85% is that 11 or 12 bars on the battery life indicator?

, Sep 23, 7:58pm
As far as battery technology goes, there are some minor chemistry differences and the Nissan lacks active thermal management on the battery pack, but they are basically the same technology. Admittedly the Nissan Leaf is significantly more reliable than the Tesla in every other regard. Although Tesla's are awesome cars, they've had MANY quality control issues.

I don't believe I said no maintenance? just that my vehicle hadn't yet reach the interval required for maintenance in the 36000km I've done so far.

The battery replacement by your logic above would be 16 years (not 10) and I don't think you could make any assumptions about the cost of it at this point. However by the time I need to replace it I will have done 319,000km. I will have been through some tires and at least a few wheel alignments, I may have done the brake pads (although with regen braking doing most of the work who knows?).

I will have saved in excess of $45,000 in fuel costs alone so even $5k battery would be fine (but the leaf will be long sold by then). Having owned petrol and diesel vehicles until very high mileages, I can tell you few cars drive trains make 319,000km, and are certainly not maintenance free.

tim41, Jan 11, 1:17pm
if- the batteries last 10 years