Car thats been re regestered

Page 1 / 2
h.e, Jul 2, 8:00pm
I am looking at a vehicle that has been de regestered in the past. Does car jam or any such outfit tell you why. Its an expensive vehicle and want to be sure it hasn't been a write off in the past Cheers in advance

desmodave, Jul 2, 8:21pm
Have you asked that question to seller ? . Do you have some1 lined up to inspect its condition . Have you paid for a carjam report . I don't think they have a crystal ball to tell you why there has been a laps or re reg .

h.e, Jul 2, 8:31pm
seller is saying lapsed rego in the past on his auction and to be fair it is a very low km immaculate model, but it is only 14 yrs old and a years lapsed rego is of concern. If a site can tell me if it has been writen off in the past at this stage is more important than pre purchase etc. Cheers

saxman99, Jul 2, 8:42pm
NZTA may know why, I don’t know if they would share that info though.

h.e, Jul 2, 8:51pm
Its an oddity aye,. If it's imported as a write off and repaired here it is there for all to see, but if it's written off here and put back on the road it seems the only one who knows are the insurance companies

mrfxit, Jul 2, 9:44pm
Not that uncommon.
Was going to buy a tidy car in Auckland a few years ago but had to back out when they said it had been deregistered simply because they hadn't been using it after they got a company car the year before.
Tidy car that fully legal would have been around 4k but worth about $500 after dereg

kazbanz, Jul 2, 9:51pm
do your due diligence. Find the reason it’s derego. Either lapse or insurance Wright off.

h.e, Jul 2, 10:08pm
It is regestered and warrented but in its past has been de regestered. How do I find out why it has been de regestered is the question. Asking price is just over 40k and I live at the opposite end of the country. If I can find out why other than the sellers word then the rest is easy, finance owing pre purchase, fly up check it out drive or send home. Cheers

nzmax, Jul 3, 12:41am
Ive also heard of a few cases where a car was deregistered rather than put on hold simply because it was no longer being used for whatever reason. I know of a late model low mileage car owned by an elderly couple, where the husband died, and the wife didnt drive or realise the rego would lapse after a year, and it was simply overlooked. One of her sons even got a WOF for it not long before it lapsed with the view that his mum would register it, and the family had just assumed she had done it. The car did end up being re-complied, which unfortunately will now always have the stigma of being a re-registered car when it was only 4-5 years old at 15 or so thousand km.

franc123, Jul 3, 1:10am
Cars that have been deregistered and recomplied again can be safer buys than something late model NZ new thats been smacked up and fixed and NOT deregistered/written off because it was fixable. Your choice whether you want to own something with a 'stain' on its record which may not be in itself a reason to not buy it.

gunna-1, Jul 3, 5:07am
Make sure it is eather a minter or you have deep pockets before going there, i was told you only have two weeks to sort out any compliance issues unlike a whole month for a wof, its not enough time to fix anything serious and you pay the 400$ 500$ or what ever it is now all over again for retesting.

tgray, Jul 3, 8:36am
Does the seller have paperwork to support lapsed Rego claim?
If it is a dealer and they put in writing lapsed Rego and it turns out is was written off due to an accident, you would be entitled to your money back.
Carjam reports do not tell you why cars have been re registered.

toyboy3, Jul 3, 8:49am
Do a CarJam check and see how far apart the wof s are as a starter

smallwoods, Jul 3, 9:03am
1989 RX7 I had lapsed twice, still sold for $15k dereg'ed.
I just got too busy with life and missed the "hold" notices.

Hence why I sold it.

socram, Jul 3, 9:51am
Getting a car through compliance is a nightmare if it is an older car that has been restored. (Been there, done that, got the tee shirt).

mrfxit, Jul 3, 2:08pm
Yea pretty much the situation is that the older the car is, the "Closer to Factory New" it has to be but with new factory parts only specific to that model

nzmax, Jul 3, 5:16pm
Not when I did my 1962 car in 2019. Parts are now unobtainable for my car, so its now make do, adapt or mend. Had no issue at compliance. Inspector even suggested a couple of alternatives for some non load bearing or non structural parts, one being a piece of truck tiedown in place of a rubber strap for limiting the travel of the rear suspension when its jacked up or put on a hoist. Re-compliance for an older car is pretty much just a very strict WOF with zero tolerance for rust, and only has to conform to the regulations at the time the car was new.

marte, Jul 3, 6:33pm
I know a car dealer who had several cars lapse due to selling/buying a 2nd hand car business & a mix up over putting some cars on hold.
Another because the owner was overseas when Covid happened.
Others happen because to put a car on hold, you have to pay the back rego up to the time you want it put on hold.

joanie32, Jul 3, 6:40pm
I sold an ex write off to my in-laws

It was a good car that eventually I traded back and used as our family car

Every Wof the inspector would ask if we knew it had been written off

So there must be something in the system somewhere to say why it’s been re-registered

socram, Jul 3, 7:29pm
Not quite. Mine was 60 years old and had been dip stripped and ALL rust replaced with decent metal, painted at great expense. Compliance wouldn't pass it without a welding certificate.

The 'welding' assessor then wanted paint stripping off to check the welds on non-load bearing panels and expected spot welds to be as per a brand new BMW for spacing etc, all cavities wax injected - not a 1956 standard at all.

Eventually found a more sensible assessor who was happy with all work done but it was a very stressful and frustrating exercise, My big mistake initially was being honest and sending a full set of photographs, before, during and after welding, done by a retired professional who did a stunning job. Had the car never been deregistered and rego on hold, it would have been a breeze.

nzmax, Jul 4, 9:53am
Ah thats the difference. Mine wasnt a restoration, just a number of small rust repairs to a still very tidy original near 60 year old car. Mine went through the rust repair process after the compliance inspection, so it was all documented and certified during the repair. No mention of cavity wax, spot weld spacings or anything like that, and I was relatively involved during the repair seeing what had been done and more being nosey to see what was underneath with guards etc off the car.

kazbanz, Jul 4, 12:32pm
Talking to your local testing station might drag up the reason for deregistration listed on file. insurance wright off or lapsed.

h.e, Jul 4, 2:56pm
I used motor web and got a VIR. This was enough to raise a few suspicions, it got a warrant 4 months before it was deregistered and another warrant 4 months after it was deregistered. The vehicle in question is very tidy low km but quite expensive for what it is without a questionable past. So not for me. Thanks for everyones help, it should be easier to get conformation of a vehicle being a write off or not as there are plenty of cars out there tainted due to deregistration that shouldn't be

curlcrown, Jul 4, 3:17pm
Yes you are right, you can't tell for sure the cause of reregistration, but based on what you describe it would seem it is not simply a rego lapse, although that is still a possibility. No matter, the car should be cheaper than others if it has been reregistered, its not that it makes it a bad car, just a stigma attached to it that will never go away.

curlcrown, Jul 4, 3:19pm
What kind of car is it?