Wipers on auto, (The Nissan van saga continues)

mrfxit, Jul 31, 9:15pm
95 Nissan Caravan TD27.
Right, so it hasn't been used much recently & thers been a nasty dose of condensation appear in the van.
The only thing that is acting just a tad odd , are the wipers.
Turn on ign key & the wipers run.
Sometimes they stop, sometimes when stopped, they will start up again for no apparent reason.
Got to the stage quickly that I unplugged them so I could use the van for towing.
Went out of town & had rear windows open & heater on full hot blast which dried the van a lot & it's had a dehumidifier running in it for 48 hours.

Pulled the column switch off & gave it a healthy dose of CRC & air compressor but no difference.
Switch feels ok.
Drivers side floor is wet so suspect a leak somewhere, probably those blimin washer jets again.
Could it be the wiper motor or maybe the fuse box playing silly buggers

bigfatmat1, Jul 31, 9:50pm
i would doubt its the fusebox but there could be a intermittent wiper control unit somewhere. Or it could be part of switch assy that the switch or motor you really need to test the system otherwise its a guessing game. Download a wiring diagram. And see how it works is your best bet. Then run some tests with a test light not a led one though

3tomany, Jul 31, 9:58pm
I bet it has rust where you can not see it.

intrade, Aug 1, 5:59am
my mb140 is drysabone inside. you have water ingress somewhere.

andy61, Aug 1, 8:00am
I had a Nissan Mistral , the wipers had a mind of their own (I put it down to European electrics! ), was talking to a 4WD dismantler after I sold it (i thort it may have been the switch) and he said wiper motor.

mrfxit, Aug 1, 8:29am
Yep said that, those vans have a 50mm stickout pedestal mount under the screen.
Had to reseal the left side a couple of years ago

countrypete, Aug 1, 8:35am
Mitsubishi had that issue in he '80's. Check the fusible link at the battery.

mrfxit, Aug 3, 10:34am
Ok, seem to have fixed it.
Just for the hell of it & fiddly around with the wiper system.
Manually (& gentlyof course) moved the wiper arms across the screen a few times full arc.
Teased the system a few times by going through all the speed options & it's now behaving it's self
No issues with the wipers auto starting

All I can think of, was the intermittent trigger switch inside the wiper motor just needed a manual reset of sorts, by moving the wipers by hand a few times

bigfatmat1, Aug 3, 11:07am
contacts are prob dodgy in wiper motor. There is no reset

mrfxit, Dec 13, 11:09am
Yep I know that but it's done the same thing, sort of.
Time will tell if it lasts.
Will put the column covers back on in a few days