Selling car to different city

wayned, Mar 14, 7:33am
Helping parents sell a car. Got a seemingly genuine enquirer from the other island. How do you make sure it isn't a scam, like you sometimes hear of? How do to make for a safe trade/transaction?

tamarillo, Mar 14, 8:02am
Ring them and make sure there’s nothing odd in way they wish to transact. They pay you before and it goes with respectable transporter.

tygertung, Mar 14, 8:11am
It might be cheaper for them to just fly down and pick it up.

bryalea, Mar 14, 8:51am
We purchased a car 3 hours away and after a VTNZ check drove to view and pay cash on pickup. I also bought my ute the same way but further away, and after a VTNZ check sheet was viewed (sellers had it) I paid in full and collected a week or so later when we could get there to do so.
So definitely you get paid in full before it goes anywhere.
If it's on trademe check their feedback.

annie17111, Mar 14, 8:57am
We flew down to Christchurch to buy a car, the seller met us at the airport and we test drove it and then bought it. Paid cash

likit, Mar 14, 10:19am
I’ve purchased last 3 cars from Auckland, Hamilton & Wellington, always paid before I picked up, my concern the seller wasn’t a scam

s_nz, Mar 14, 11:51am
Buyer is ment to carry the bulk of the risk in such transactions.

As a seller, only dispatch goods once payment has been received, and for car buyers collect the purchasers details (photo of drivers licence).

Don't accept payment that isn't a bank deposit or cash. Never refund over payments etc, especially not by services like western union.

Should be reasonably safe if you stick to the above.

kazbanz, Mar 14, 9:24pm
the only way to be scammed is by not being careful. The main concern you will have is ensuring that the funds ARE in your account. Not a screen shot of sent funds but actual money arrived.

franc123, Mar 14, 10:46pm
You don't release the vehicle until you are paid in full either cash in the hand, a bank transfer or ping payment. You also don't release it until you have sighted their drivers licence, have their physical address details and email and have signed over the registration to them AND have the confirmation emails from NZTA, I always do this on behalf of the buyer and pay NZTA directly with your own card (its only a $9 charge online) so you know it's done and you also know they're not a disqualified driver. Also give them a written receipt/statutory declaration stating both your names, the vehicles details, its rego number, the date of disposal and the license/WoF expiry dates if the latter is expired or is not less than 28 days old you must state its expired or merely current and they're accepting it in as is condition, and get them to sign it. THIS PAPERWORK IS VERY IMPORTANT. Some private buyers expect a complimentary warranty and 24hr vehicle recovery at the sellers expense until they're good and happy with their purchase of a so so quality car when it was new (like a Holden Viva for example) for some time afterwards regardless of how old it is and how much they paid for it!

tony9, Mar 15, 8:27am
Use the Carjam Sales and Purchase agreement. It has 99% of what is required. Costs nothing and if you log in it is largely pre-filled out.

tgray, Mar 15, 8:43am
Unless it's a car that is hard to sell, sometimes it's just easier to wait for another buyer to come, test drive and give you the money in person, like most people would. Some things are just not worth the hassle for you.

nice_lady, Mar 15, 8:37pm
Make damn sure that you do not release the vehicle until any and all monies paid into your bank account HAVE CLEARED.

This should definitely be NON negotiable.

Make certain your bank gives you absolutely proof the funds have cleared.

andrew1954, Mar 17, 5:42pm
Why them not being a disqualified driver important ?

franc123, Mar 17, 7:39pm
FFS, why does a disqualified driver need to be purchasing a vehicle for their use? It ensures that the change of registration goes how it should and you don't start getting fines on behalf of someone who should not be driving.

nice_lady, Mar 17, 8:37pm
If you do the change of ownership transaction at the time of sale online it's completely irrelevant whether the new owner is a legal driver or not. It's not your problem who drives the thing as YOU are no longer legally associated with it.

curlcrown, Mar 17, 9:44pm
I agree, It is not worth the risk of them being unhappy with it im some way and becoming a major pain. It may be a good car but you don't know what their expectations are. Possibly agree to pick them up from a near by airport then at east they can see it and make sure they are happy with it. I made a promice to myself years ago never to sell a car out of town sight unseen no matter how desperate I am. Simply to much possibilty of agrovation and there are plenty of horror stories.

marte, Mar 17, 10:25pm
I thought you needed the new owners license to change ownership this way.
I use the Post shop & do it all there, Inc $$$, it's all on camera too. I have been told the online setup has a delay on weekends (by someone who bought a car that then had the plates deleted the next day due to being out of rego for too long. Well that's the story anyway. Checked on Friday day, done after hours Friday, wasn't processed untill later )
At the Post shop I get several receipts, plastic slip & email confirmation too.

onl_148, Mar 24, 4:40pm
The person or organisation that a vehicle is registered does not have to be the person or organisation that legally owns the vehicle. Unlike a lot of countries NZ does not have "ownership papers" for vehicles. I think in the US they talk about the "pink slip", which is actually the ownership document.
If you have to have a license to change the rego, how would a company or government department rego a vehicle ?

tygertung, Aug 30, 9:07am
And the person buying the car might just want fix it up as a project for when they get their license back.