Small car to tow with RV on A frame

sin01, Jul 2, 12:20pm
Small car to tow behind motorhome manual on detachable A frame up to $20 k Regards John

msigg, Jul 2, 1:51pm
Just have a look at the motor home pages for ideas. Suzuki.

bill-robinson, Jul 2, 3:03pm
get a FWD car and tow it on a dolly. saves a lot of wear and tear on the drive train.

gpg58, Jul 2, 5:46pm
Agree, use a dolly or you are limited to manual transmission cars.
Would research rv forums (or dealer), as think there may even be an issue with some jimnys being towed(run the engine for a few minutes every 200-300km of towing ?)

sin01, Jul 2, 10:24pm
I would be happy with a manual trans Thank you for the imfo.

s_nz, Jul 3, 12:03am
You would do better going to a motorhome specific forum.

A quick good search turns up:
Fiat 500 (manual only)
Honda fit (manual only)
Toyota Yaris (manual only)
Vairous Suzuki's

xs1100, Jul 3, 7:27pm
suzuki grand vitara, reason you can knock the transmission into neutral along with the 4wd system, most others still turn the speedo over . reason most have a vitara

gpg58, Jul 3, 8:02pm

slarty45, Jul 3, 9:02pm
Had a 3rd gen 3 door 2.4 manual for 6 yrs.
Heaps of traction & grunt but bit thirsty being permanent 4wd.
Probably handy for towing motorhomes stuck in the mud
Only thing needing replacing was battery at 5 yrs old, not even a blown bulb.
Never had the occasion to twist the knob on dash to put transfer case into neutral

gpg58, Jul 3, 10:30pm
Copy from part 2 above.

COMMON FLAT TOWED VEHICLES IN AUSTRALIA
Note: vehicles are manual unless otherwise noted, and not all year models will work. Consult the baseplate distributor and the owner’s manual regarding suitability.

Second- and third-generation Suzuki Grand Vitara (3- and 5-door, manual and auto) – by far the most common. As your resident Grand Vitara expert, I’ve included a guide to choosing the best third-generation Grand Vitara at the end.
Old and new Suzuki Vitara
Suzuki Jimny (with modifications)
Suzuki SX4
Suzuki Swift
Suzuki Ignis
Suzuki Alto (there’s a definite Suzuki flavour)
Daihatsu Terios
Jeep Patriot
Jeep Wrangler
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Echo
Honda CRV
Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Excel
Hyundai i20
Hyundai Getz
Kia Rio
Fiat 500 Pop
Various Four-Wheel-Drive utes including Colorado, HiLux, 70-79 Series LandCruiser and various others with steel bullbars (these are heavy and only towed behind the biggest rigs).

also see in part 1,
With the last Suzuki Grand Vitaras being made in 2018, no manufacturer selling in Australia supports their vehicles being towed with an A-Frame. If any part of the vehicle a manufacturer could be argued might be affected by flat towing (i.e. the gearbox/transmission), then warranty may not cover these parts. This may be a consideration if you have new car warranty remaining on the proposed towed vehicle.

desmodave, Jul 4, 7:33am
Single axle car trailer allows you to buy any small car you like , then your only wearing out a trailer with 2 tyre's . If you ride put a motorcycle rack on the back and enjoy .

electromic, Jul 4, 11:39am
I was thinking the same thing. less moving parts and freedom to choose any car.

dazzie, Jul 5, 5:36pm
The only thing with a trailer as you’ve have to watch what weight you put on it what weight you can pull behind your motorhome depending on the weight of the vehicle you will need brakes warrant Reg and maintenance pros and cons like anything in life

muppet_slayer, Jul 5, 5:55pm
Seen a few with Suzuki Jimnys on the back so they seem to be a popular choice.

desmodave, Jul 5, 6:45pm
Not hard to weigh up though , how large is the Rv as such. I think a lot have a trailer hang up ,more feel comfortable towing with an A frame . Hook on and forget .

sin01, Jul 5, 10:30pm
Many thanks for the replies .They give me some options Regards John.

s_nz, Jul 6, 12:36am
It seems like OP already has a clear preference.

But I agree, on the face of it, $6,100 buys you a brand new single axle car transporter, with a 420kg Tare and 1080kg payload. Load on the subcompact hatchback of your choice (incl automatic), strap it down, away you go. No worries about custom wiring lights, fitting A frame towing hardware, setting up breaking system's, unlocking the steering etc. And best of all, if you need to, you can back up with a trailer, unlike a car on an A frame (steering will slam to the side).

Deal-breakers for the above are generally:
- Space taken up at the campsite
- Need to tow the trailer into the campsite. (With two people, somebody could just drive the Dingy if tight maneuvering would be required.

Minor issues:
- Storage of trailer at home
- Maintenance of trailer
- Security of trailer at campsite.
- Weight to trailer having eating into payload, slowing acceleration etc.

framtech, Jul 12, 5:41pm
Buy a Dodge Ram and tow the RV.