Anyone's car had ozone treatment for nicotine?

Page 2 / 2
nesta129, Feb 14, 1:51pm
Haha yes the seatbelts too and those grab handles on the ceiling by the doors,sunvisors etc.Soak that ashtray thoroughly as well. We used to strip the dash apart to clean as well.
Yes Ozone best works when the car is thoroughly cleaned.Its the last step and sometimes not needed if the clean gets rid of the smell.
I havnt heard of hydroxyl though ill look into it now,if you do try it,let us know how it went.

tweake, Feb 14, 2:09pm
the hydroxyl units you typically find are basically forms of ionizers and they also produce ozone.
its what Panasonic has in their air conditioners "nanoe". the advantage is using the cooling to collect the moisture on the 'needle' to turn it into 'hydroxyl'.
by mem the safer form (panasonic has a least 3 different versions) is also the least effective.

hazelnut2, Feb 14, 2:33pm
The ashtray lid actually need THREE scrubs with hot sugar soap to remove the tar and was the first thing I cleaned.

Thanks for the tips. Can't actually dismantle the dash myself, but have the glovebox out now and the fan has been removed and cleaned. Will have a go at cleaning the firewall behind the glove box, and will remove the eyeball airvents and clean as far down the hoses as I can.

kazbanz, Feb 14, 3:43pm
With the fan out you can wash down inside the plastic AC tubes. -perfect chance there.

kazbanz, Feb 14, 3:44pm
If chasing an initial impression-sure thing. But for smell removal long term Never worked for me

hazelnut2, Mar 4, 7:27am
Reporting back:

Didn't need to use the ozone treatment,

Because:

After many hours of elbow grease, using a great cleaning product everywhere, and most recently and (quite importantly it turns out) the change of the foam on the fan blower air-circulation flaps, I'm happy to say that after having the car sit in the sun for two hours with the windows closed I could no longer smell any nicotine!

Hooray!

marte, Mar 4, 11:58am
Thanks for the update & I'm glad it's resulted in a positive experience.

intrade, Sep 6, 3:52pm
for ozone watch biclive.com
ozone is created by lightning so basically the planet is cleaning the air you can smell the ozone after lightning at times.
also ozone destructs your distributor cap of old cars with cap and plug leads, there is a hole vent cap to let ozone out of the cap if you ever wondered what the heck that was for.