VW Polo gear stick

coro2, Aug 16, 6:42pm
Probably a stupid question, but am looking at a VW Polo automatic that is for sale , and one thing that bugs me is the the writing that shows which gear it is in is on the left hand side of the gear stick, not the right hand side. Usually this is on the right hand side which is easier for the driver to see isn't it?

intrade, Aug 16, 7:05pm
thats probably because the driver normally sits on the left hand side of a car like this. id be more concerned that you dont buy a lemon that no one serviced right.

saxman99, Aug 16, 7:06pm
You’d get used to it. Probably got left off the list when they engineered the RHD version. In any case there will be a digital readout on the cluster display in front of you.

poppy62, Aug 16, 7:09pm
No! The car was designed for Left Hand Drive. That's why your indicator stalk is also on the left. Strangely enough Most Japanese cars (although a RHD nation) are also on the left.

coro2, Aug 16, 7:28pm
Thanks everyone. I did think that it must have been designed for left hand drive. It is a Japanese import though. It is for sale at Turners, any advice on that?

msigg, Aug 16, 8:52pm
Just get a sticker on the right hand side. Get an inspection done see what they say.

807, Aug 16, 10:20pm
I've had a few Toyotas over the years, but all of them have had the auto positions on the rhs of the gear lever, ditto the indicators have all been on the rhs of the column.

franc123, Aug 16, 10:56pm
You may find the range selector information is shown in the instrument cluster in a digital display box anyway.

supernova2, Aug 17, 11:16am
Euro ex Japan and for sale at Turners is not usually a good combination. Get a comprehensive PPI inspection done by someone who knows VW.

kazbanz, Aug 17, 1:23pm
by turners do you mean Auction or retail?
if auction IMO the phrase "Run Forrest Run" comes to mind.
If its got the wet clutch dsg gearbox then Run FAST

richardmayes, Aug 20, 5:59pm
Used Volkswagen, I'd be more concerned about any funny noises that the transmission may make when it's running, the position of the PRND21 lights is the least of your worries!

intrade, Aug 20, 6:58pm
probably the same noises as toyota make as they use aisin unless its a DSG

vtecintegra, Dec 4, 12:51am
Almost all somewhat modern VWs are DSGs though.