Serice of car imported into NZ

ianalice1, Jun 6, 7:50pm
Can some one tell me what's involved in boarder service of cars NZ.
IE what fluids are changed, filers, etc.
Thank yoi.

franc123, Jun 6, 8:41pm
Border service? There isnt any requirement to service a car as part of entry certification, obviously any work needed to brakes, tyres etc in order to make it comply will be carried out, ditto the air filter element MAY be replaced if it will help it pass emission testing. Otherwise any service work is done courtesy of who is selling it or on behalf of. Used cars dealers are often fond of using the term "full service" carried out during advertising blurbs which is a term simply not used by the new vehicle industry/does not exist which often just involves an engine oil and filter change. Unless theyve specifically listed other items like spark plugs, transmission, power steer oil if that applies, coolant, fuel filter etc be very suspicious of these statements, let your PP inspector determine if any of this has been attended to or if it needs to be.

kazbanz, Jun 6, 8:51pm
NOTHING is automatically done.
The border inspection you refer to I guess you mean compliance. Compliance is a fancy WOF inspection. So filter,plug,oil changes etc are decisions made by the individual importer

ianalice1, Jun 7, 1:04pm
Thanks guys.
Just as I thought.
We bought a fresh import, a short time ago, * dealer said had a ful service.
So a few months latter I took it to my normal place & they did a proper service.

kazbanz, Jun 7, 1:36pm
Im curious now. Given the dealer committed that they had carried out a full service why did you feel the need for another service?
What was the dealers qualification of a "full service"?

franc123, Jun 7, 1:43pm
Fairly typical scenario. What amounts to a "full service" (which as I say is a term not officially used by anyone) at its worst could cost a couple of thousand dollars if expensive coolants transmission oils and spark plugs are involved. No dealer is going to do that on a used car just because they want to do something nice for you. All servicing is based on an annual engine oil and filter change (or after a specified km which can vary between 10-30k) whichever occurs first, and checks of fluids, brakes, steering, belts, body lubrication, tyre pressures, filters etc, and wheel rotation and/or alignment if it needs it. Additional jobs mostly in the form of fluid renewals, spark plugs, air/fuel/cabin filter renewals get added on from there at certain age/km intervals as specified.

stevo2, Jun 7, 2:24pm
Do I recall you mentioning a couple of years ago that you were getting your servicing done at a muffler shop or was it a tyre shop?

kazbanz, Jun 7, 3:22pm
In fairness part of compliance is Belt inspection for cracking-replacement if cracked, Power steering has to work properly,Brake fluid hydroscopic test has to be passed ie fluid is clean or has to be changed. Tyres have to be in good condition and greater than legal minimum tread. The other stuff I'd like to see that dealers definition of a full service . So did the dealer change air filter? did he change the plugs,the transmission fluid ? `

franc123, Jun 7, 4:31pm
Mate you're not going to ever see a definition of this mythical full service malarkey because they could not define it themselves. Unless they could provide an itemised account of what they actually put every fresh import (or any other used car theyre selling) through by whoever their service provider is, that EVERY SINGLE ITEM defined as a servicing consumable by the manufacturer has been changed or adjusted, then the term is used purely to lead potential buyers to believe that no servicing expenditure is going to be required in the near future for that car something that of course may not be true.

franc123, Jun 8, 9:21am
I would also be interested in what servicing your "normal place" carried out.

ianalice1, Jun 8, 3:50pm
He said VTNZ did the compliance and a service.
I spoke to the owner of a "service place" that we been going to since we come to Tauranga, over 13 year ago & he said for peace of mind.

ianalice1, Jun 8, 3:51pm
I believe they service the exhaust system?

ianalice1, Jun 8, 3:55pm
Oil filter and a list of about 20 things they check & advise.
Like water content in break fluid, the engine belts, condition of air filter.
After 13 plus years we been happy with them.
Manager been the whole time & seem to have good staff.

horsygirl, Jun 8, 4:01pm
I love stories with happy endings.

franc123, Jul 28, 5:13pm
So a very basic annual service in other words.