Can a seller refuse to state number plate?

callum.irvine, Jul 19, 7:09pm
There is a trailer on here I am interested in. But seller won't state number plate for "privacy reasons" Reading the other comments it seems the trailer could be part of a recall. Seller says it isn't but.

Cant reveal auction number obviously, but a Tandem Trailer 2500x1500 would sure be handy to have.

Anyway. Is it sellers prerogative to not reveal the number plate, or is that not allowed?

supernova2, Jul 19, 7:14pm
Seller can do whatever they like however if I were a buyer I'd be very suspicious if they refuse to tell the plate number. Plate numbers are hardly "private". If I were you I'd be reporting the advert to TM as I think its dodgy to say the least. I'm wondering why if its only on the big trailer to save space what was the need for all the tie downs and so on.

jmma, Jul 19, 7:55pm
It is one of the recalled Trailers, but that one has been repaired which is OK, look at Bunnings site. In saying that I still wouldn't touch one of those trailers, wheel bearings are shit.

socram, Jul 19, 9:03pm
Unlike a car where the mileage and WoF history may be important, not quite the same with a trailer.

If you have any doubts, don't bid.

franc123, Jul 19, 9:17pm
No.plate number = no bid. Move on.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 9:20am
An ADVERTISER can do anything they want. Its up to you if you are prepared to carry on the purchase on that basis.
I'd probably go--that's ok but no money changes hands unless you have checked the rego number

likit, Jul 20, 9:35am
This seems common even with people selling cars, don’t know wh,at the secrecy is especially as they need to be on display when on the road.
Don’t bid.

bumfacingdown, Jul 20, 10:33am
Maybe they thought the OP was a dodgy bugger looking at taking the trailer with no payment?

amasser, Jul 20, 10:48am
Could the seller let the registration lapse then re-register with a different number? If so, don't walk away - Run!

pauldw, Jul 20, 1:18pm
Did they take the original manufacturer's id plate off the draw bar for privacy reasons as well 😉

lythande1, Jul 20, 2:59pm
Yep.
And you can refuse to buy it.

marte, Jul 21, 6:37am
I have read that criminals will search or find a identical car on the 'For sales' & make up a set of plates with those numbers so they can go & do criminally things with them on their car.

Now everybody knows.

likit, Dec 20, 6:18am
They could do that sitting on the side of the road, I might have to cover my number plate now when out & about.