No front number plate! What are the implications!

Page 1 / 2
kiwibookhunter, Jan 31, 11:16pm
Hi, could someone who is definitely in the know either tell me the implications of not having a front number plate with regards to fines and insurance coverage or direct me to a site that has the info plz.

Also is it easy to get another printed (the old one is long gone) or would the single plate have to be surrendered and the vehicle allocated a different set of plates!Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

bigjerry, Jan 31, 11:18pm
well in regards to fines, you get no speed camera fines so thats quite good. Seriously though, you can make a plate it doesnt have to be a real one, you see it lots of rods etc

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 11:20pm
Technically you can't, you have to use the plate as issued and not modified in any way.

franc123, Jan 31, 11:22pm
Just go and get a new pair, take the old one with you, only costs about $16, or used to at least.

pollymay, Jan 31, 11:27pm
We put a modified plate to fit on the back of a 57 corvette. Got a fine and the officer suggested using self tapping screws to attach it to the boot. What dolts

And I'd just get a sticker made, we use them on the trailers we build no problem, the aluminium ones tend to fall off and get bent up too easy.

sw20, Feb 1, 2:22am
$150 fine and no demerits for running a red light.

$200 fine and 25 demerit points for plate 'infringements' when pulled over by the police.

$&#$%.

mrfxit, Feb 1, 3:33am
Sad but true . Oh & thats PER infringement ticket PER day AND for every cop that nabs you for it.

socram, Feb 1, 5:16am
$500 fine - not $200 (I had a warning letter).That is for using European manufactured reflective perspex plates that are in all respects more visible, durable and readable than the local ones.I have written to MOT and his assistant Nathan Guy, the under secretary, replied with a less than helpful response.

They are supposed to be looking in to it as the original law was to outlaw scrappy bits of cardboard and wasn't really meant to outlaw full size stick-on or perspex, reflective plates.

cowboy110, Feb 1, 5:35am
Or just save yourself a lot a grief and get a new set of plates for under 20 bucks.

trademerob, Feb 1, 6:13am
If the car or bake is not legal i.e not displaying a front plate.Asside,s for bikes your insureance is void.

johnf_456, Feb 1, 7:55am
I am not even going to bother replying to this utter dribble.

townie55, Feb 1, 9:39am
I have two cars at home here that both have no front plates.Mainly because the design of the front of the car simply does not lend itself to attempting to fix a plate to it.I realise that I run the risk of a $200 fine every time I go out in them.

But surprise, surprise, I find that since I drive the cars in a sensible and orderly manner, the cops don't pull me over.Who would have thought.

rz_zone, Feb 1, 9:54am

pollymay, Feb 1, 1:49pm
Because $200 and 20 points is necessary for such despicable crimes as going on holiday.

sw20, Feb 1, 3:20pm
New low. My respect for the traffic police is dwindling by the day.

camerong1, Feb 1, 7:51pm
Just because you drive nicely won't stop them pulling you over. we have just finished a new car for our youth group at church and were pulled over the first day we drove the car because the front plate was in the window and not on the front of the car we had to mount the plate which was hard with the after market bumper but it saves being pulled over

vtecintegra, Feb 1, 9:56pm
Maybe that wasn't the intention, but with the introduction of automated systems like speed cameras and AVR it makes sense form an enforcement point of view to have a know typeface and plate size.

desmodave, Feb 1, 11:10pm
Did you get this information some where or did you just make it up cause your clever.Either way you are incorect.

mazz1972, Feb 1, 11:25pm
As does having it only half attached so it looks like it's about to fall off.

berg, Feb 2, 1:01am
I'm sure you would win this arguement when talking to all the service stn owners who are dealing with driveoffs at the moment. Anybody else want a tui!
Sure it is a minor traffic offence but it is commonly used by thieves to cover the theft of fuel by the way of petrol driveoffs and we all hate thieves don't we.

camerong1, Feb 2, 2:23am
Just because we have a car with a non standard bumper and the plate in the window doesn't make us boy racers. We built the car as a promo car for a church and hadn't decided where to put the plate as the sign writing wasn't complete.How dear you say that all people like this are boy racers till you have the full facts we plan to drive the car nicely as with sign writing all over the car we don't want to bring a bad name to our church. we only race at the drag strip.

sw20, Feb 2, 3:00am
Don't throw your toys. Biker was very tongue in cheek.

mrfxit, Feb 2, 3:41am
Not having both govt issued number plates on a car & or altering a govt issued number plate is classed under the "altering a govt issued document" section
OR for the slow ppl = DOCUMENT FRAUD

Prove me wrong please

pollymay, Feb 2, 3:56am
Just tell em you learned it was alright just like it is with the treaty of waitangi, see how it goes down

bubbles52, Feb 2, 4:25am
aslong as one plate is a ltsa issued one, you can have a custom one for the front according to land transport when my friend inquired for his lotus 7 kit car