Auto transmission problem

oscar220, Jun 6, 9:33am
I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla. Its done 360k and the trans is probably on its way out. Main issue is when reverse is selected it feels like its binding up and hesitant when reversing. The fluid is dirty, but in forward gears changes up and down are smooth.
What do you guys think my best option is taking into account I'm retiring in November. I do about 1,000 km per week.

1. Get a pot-luck 2nd hand trans fitted and if so any ideas on cost to get swapped over
2. Repair current transmission. Is it likely to be a major or minor repair?
3. Cross fingers and hope its good for another 24,000 km

Either way come December I'll probably list it as $1.00 reserve with full disclosure

Thanks.

martin11, Jun 6, 9:50am
Has it ever been seviced by an auto trans place ?

curlcrown, Jun 6, 9:51am
First thing to do would be to change the transmission oil. If you intend to sell it in a few months it’s not really worth spending much on because it won’t be worth much at that mileage.

s_nz, Jun 6, 9:56am
Get a diagnostic (and fix if a viable price) & service done. Could be as simple as a broken valve spring. Typically need to dump the fluid to do the diagnostic. - given your fluid is dirty, now would be a good time.

And if the fluid is dirty, it badly needs flushed. This is due every 100,000 - 150,000km. Costs $300 - $400 as the fluid is expensive, and the flushing process requires quite a bit of it.

#1 potentially costs a lot more than getting your current gearbox fixed (if the problem is simple).

#3 potentially leaves you a broken car, necessitating a rushed replacement purchase. - Even if it doesn't break the gearbox issue will take a fair chunk of the value when you come to sell it.

2004 corolla's are worth a lot at the moment. Cheapest auto 2004 on trademe is asking $3,500 (303,700km). Yours will be at cira 385,000km at the end of the year, so will likely we worth a little less than this, but perhaps $2,000 - $3000 with no issues. Therefore you shouldn't really be treating your car as a disposable to run into the ground yet.

franc123, Jun 6, 10:56am
You're not going to know until its looked at, it may be a known problem, if its only affecting reverse there is a specific issue with one of the components that controls it. I would be hesitant to flush a trans where the fluid is very dirty as its possible to kill it completely, which will instantly mean a used trans will be the only viable repair option. If the fault can be repaired quickly in situ I would certainly run with that otherwise it shouldnt be too difficult to find a lowish km used trans for it.

gph1961, Jun 6, 12:15pm
in neutral,handbrake off,engine off,flat/level ground,is it easy to push backwards versus forwards?

oscar220, Jun 6, 1:00pm
No noticeable difference.

redhead18, Jun 6, 1:09pm
When put in to reverse noticeable hesitation to engage more noticieable when dead cold than when warm after use/
Sim ply check this for us by starting and trying reverse dead cold then same when warm after a run.
Moot point here is a known given for a lot of early toyota automatics when lack of servicing leads to a blocked filter.
If so then a simple service with transmission pan gasket and filter and new fluid . Okies.

oscar220, Jun 6, 1:10pm
Thanks to all for the feedback, I guess best to take it to an expert and make a decision on cost of different options. Hope its a repair or adjustment that can be done without removal as I'd imagine labour cost would be significant. A cost of $1500 or more would be a step to far for a car that realistically with a working trans is probably only worth $2000. Its been a great car and paid for itself many times over and apart from usual expected costs been trouble free

kazbanz, Jun 6, 1:15pm
if the oil is dirty Id change the tranz oil and carry on driving.

oscar220, Jun 6, 1:55pm
Doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference from cold to warm, in fact just took it for a test run and was working ok, one of those problems that occurs randomly, but was thinking till now it was possibly me selecting reverse too quickly considering age etc. Anyway best get an expert to give their opinion.

oscar220, Jun 6, 2:01pm
It was always going to be which would retire first, me or the car.

intrade, Jun 6, 6:32pm
a bit like the alcoholic i know i said what will die first his neglected unserviced toyota or him. I said at least he treats him self the same as his car.

car__parts, Jun 8, 5:20pm
If there is a hesitation when going into reverse it could be worn clutch plates.

car__parts, Jun 8, 5:21pm
If there is a hesitation when going into reverse it could be worn clutch plates. It is also important to check the oil level according to the hand book, probably with engine running, also could be blocked filter.

gph1961, Jun 8, 5:33pm
yous making me laugh. again

muppet_slayer, Jun 10, 12:19am
Yes I would get it in for a tans service. What's in the bottom of the pan will give you a clue. Any steel filings shes on her way out. If no filings and only a bit of sludgey stuff then a new filter, pan gasket and an oil flush might fix it. Worth a try. Probably cost 2-3 hundy though.

lyl_guy, Jun 13, 2:26pm
Check oil level first.
Replace oil, throw in some Lucas trans gunk, it may work it may not.
They your cheapest start points!
Come December treat yourself, enter demo derby, ya don't need reverse!

cabrio1, Jun 13, 6:37pm
Replace the current fluid.
Fingers crossed, it will be fine I'm sure. Toyota after all.
Avoid reversing if you can.
Sell as described.
Best value for money option.

yz490, Jul 26, 6:13pm
You say reverse feels like it's binding up then hesitant. Gotta be a clue there as opposed to slipping. Had a Rover many years ago that shed the lining of the forward plates which packed down between causing the forward clutch to "not" release fully so poor old thing didn't know which way to go when i selected reverse & just sat there & grunted.