JUMP STARTING - AUTO to AUTO TRANSMISSION

Page 1 / 2
marree, Sep 25, 12:04pm
Just a question (as have told to be careful / cautious). Daughter upgraded vehicle in May and since that time her NIssan Cube (smaller version) has "sat". No-one has started it and I'm guessing battery is dead. She is going to lend to a family member whose vehicle is out of action at the mo. Just needs a jump start and a good run I suppose however some people say be careful when jump starting auto's. Intention was to jump start with Nissan Skyline 250GT or Toyota Wish - advice please, as I don't wish to blow the cars to the sky LOL. In hindsight though, I've recently replaced my Wish with a new battery and was always having to jumpstart via the Skyline without problems.

budgel, Sep 25, 12:09pm
Just take care and do it like you jumpstarted your wish.

thunderbolt, Sep 25, 12:10pm
As long as you have surge protected leads, both cars should be fine.
However, if the battery has sat for a long time, it would be better to remove it from the car and get it charged by you local workshop/auto sparky, so they can test it when it is recharged.

kazbanz, Sep 25, 12:12pm
marree--I'd say the easy solution would be to charge the battery up instead of trying to jump start the car.

intrade, Sep 25, 12:14pm
Best would be to charge the battery with a charger like a ctek.
if you do umpstart it you would need to hook it up correctly .
There is no such thing as not able to jumpstart a automatic. Never ever try to push start a automatic car that would do serious damage if it was a cvt transmission.
Now back to jumpstarting the problem would be spikes when you connect the jumper cables. and spikes when you remoove the cable again in to the elctronics .
What will happen is if you start it and it runs with a flat battery the power to supply will come from jumper cables and when the battery is flat. the car would stall or the alternator from the jumped car would ramp up charge instantly causing a spike from alternator of the jumped car and it can not be absorbed that quickly by the flat battery causing damage to the elctronics.
That would be the actuarl reason what potentially could happen. dont means it wont happen but could.

marree, Sep 25, 12:14pm
Thanks budgel. I'm just thinking what could possibly go wrong LOL (has me terrified haha!). I'll be jump starting via the Wish to the Cube. I'll just do the usual "red to red" and "black to black".

91zero, Sep 25, 12:15pm
It's no different from jump-starting a manual.

I think they mean you cannot/shouldn't CRASH-start an auto ie. pushing it and then dumping the clutch (which they don't have) as it could damage the auto-trans.

Jump starting is fine, just ensure you use jumper leads that have a surge guard and connect them correctly.

bwg11, Sep 25, 12:16pm
A little pedantic, but safe. Cut and paste from the AA.

A step-by-step guide

Find someone with a car who’s happy to help. Their car must have a fully charged battery with the same voltage as yours (usually 12 volts)
Park both cars so their batteries are within easy reach of one another (without the cars actually touching). Keep the handbrakes on and the ignitions off
Use the red jump lead to connect the working battery’s positive (+) terminal to the flat battery’s positive (+) terminal
Take the black jump lead and attach it to the negative (-) terminal on the working battery. Then attach the other end to an earthing point (unpainted metal on the engine block or chassis) well away from the flat battery and fuel system
Keep both engines off and wait for three minutes, then start the working car’s engine and let it run for a minute
Start your car
Leave both cars to idle, at a fast pace, for around 10 minutes
Turn off both cars’ engines and carefully disconnect the leads in the reverse order to the way they were connected (i.e. remove the black lead from your car first and finish with the red lead from the other car). Make sure the leads don’t touch one another, or either car, as you remove them
Restart your car
If your car won’t start there’s probably a more serious problem requiring professional help

marree, Sep 25, 12:19pm
I can laugh, but it in all seriousness, need to get it sorted. Thoughts on jump starting this Nissan Cube 2000 (I think it's 1300cc) - either via the 3.0 V6 Skyline or 1800cc Wish (with brand new battery).

marree, Sep 25, 12:22pm
Thanks bwg11 - what you've mentioned above is the technique I usually use and have had no problem. The question is do I jump start via the 3.0 V6 Skyline or 1800cc Wish (which has a brand new battery). It probably doesn't matter (hopefully).

intrade, Sep 25, 12:43pm
nissaqn 2000 year if you have still got any dash lights on the car .
otherwise put jumper cables on correctl with nissan ignition key off and out of the car . essentially charging the battery for 15 minutes then turn ignition on and start the car and then wait a few minutes both cars runnung and then you remove the cables minus cable removing first.
year 2000 is still stone age technology in car electronic therms.

esky-tastic, Sep 25, 12:54pm
So why is there no spike when you disconnect/connect a new battery?

esky-tastic, Sep 25, 12:55pm
You're spot-on, it doesn't matter!

m16d, Sep 25, 4:34pm
Like they said, just charge the battery. if you haven't got one, I'm sure your neighbor will lend you his.

gusthe1, Sep 25, 4:40pm
thats not the technique you use. In post #6 you said you used red to red and black to black.

kazbanz, Sep 25, 5:15pm
If the battery is dead flat then jump starting the car is doing no one any favours. all you are doing is transferring the problem to the person that's borrowing the car. By putting the battery on charge you are establishing if the battery is ok--ie a dud battery wont hold charge,. You are also ensuring the battery if fully charged if it is any good.

intrade, Sep 25, 5:28pm
There is one it's why modern cars have special jumpstart ports.
And the spike is minimal on a good charged battery as where it's potentially big if you have 14.2 volt and it drops to empty battery voltage 3 volt the alternator ramping up can cause a spike , don't means it will damage but the risk factors are bigger on a flat battery.

gsimpson, Sep 25, 11:43pm
Some Autos use a clutch and these can be crash started.

marte, Sep 26, 1:36am
A Coupe of theorys.
The last cable connected goes to the flat cars engine/chassis. When its being removed (first) its going to spark, that spark is not near the newly charging battery, which gives of potentially explosive hydrogen gas as its being charged.
= no explosions.

Theory #2. Connecting the earth cable to the battery means the powers got to go all the way thru the battery's earth cable to the starter.
By connecting it directly to the engine, the starters earth cables a lot shorter and the starter gets a better connection (considering there's two long jumper cables included in this connection)

Note, use the lifting eye/loop bolted to the engine as the earth connection.
Not the metal sheath around the fuel hose. Or the carby or such.

Intrade can answer this better than I can anyway.

intrade, Sep 26, 7:21pm
basically marte i dont see a problem in your theory.
the reason why you disconect the minus first fully on both cars jumper-lead is because you dont cause a short , should you drop the clamp on metal parts . solong as you dont drop it on the plus therminal of the battery.
That is the main reason .
For connecting a battery you connect minus last because again if your spanner earths out no spark on minus .
also no spark on plus if you earth the plus out while you tighten the therminal clamp, because the other side of the battery is not connected

Some Autos use a clutch and these can be crash started.

gsimpson
that is a dangerous mythos not to be done automatic should never ever be atempted to push or tow started

kevymtnz, Sep 27, 6:52am
just connect jumps and leave charging for 10mins disconnect then try start

nice_lady, Sep 27, 7:30am
You're confused between jump starting and roll/crash starting.

vtecintegra, Sep 27, 7:32am
The battery on those Skylines is in an awkward spot so you'd be better off using the Toyota.

As other have said you can just charge the battery, and a battery charger isn't a bad thing to have around anyway so it'd be worth picking one up

monsieurl, Sep 27, 11:22am
Has anyone ACTUALLY first hand caused damage to a car by jump starting it?

I have jumped and been involved in jumping at least a hundred cars and none of those have ever caused any electrical damage to the jumped car.

I think it's just an old wives tale or else i have been extremely lucky.

shotgunkid, Sep 27, 6:34pm
I've seen a computer fried in an HSV when the groomer put a jump pack on with the polarity the wrong way around and spiked the car. very expensive fix. Several mechanics have told me to turn the headlights on the flat car as any voltage spike will go to the headlights and not the cars computers, not sure how true this is but I do it to be on the safe side.