First time Campervan buyer, what to look out for?

Page 1 / 2
v0rtrex, Jan 14, 11:33am
Budget is only $50k which limits options to second hand with moderate kms and only for 2 adults and one child. What are some of the pitfalls to avoid and what should I be looking for specifically? Thanks in advance.

tygertung, Jan 14, 11:50am
I would want to carefully consider the cost of the campervan compared with the cost of just staying in some hotels, motels or backpackers. Some backpackers can be very nice, just as nice as a hotel, but they have a kitchen so you can do your own cooking.

Keep in mind that often in a campervan you will end up staying at a camping ground anyway and it isn't going to be much cheaper than getting a cabin anyway.

$50k is going to get you a lot of hotels. Also it may work out cheaper just to rent a campervan when you want it, rather than having one in the driveway and using it a few times a year.

You might even be better off to put the $50k in an investment fund, such as simplicity and the $50k might increase in value faster than you take the money out for hotels, campervan rentals etc.

If you rent one you don't have to bother with wof, rego, insurance etc and they clean it for you after you drop it off so you won't have to do that either.

muzz67, Jan 14, 12:33pm
All of the above is right, but if you do decide to buy, first you need to decide if you are likely to travel each day or park up for several days. A bigger slower bus or truck will be roomier with bigger watertanks and batteries, where a van based camper will travel much nicer but may not allow showering for more than 1 night.

tamarillo, Jan 14, 12:34pm
Need to narrow down what you need and want first. Do you want at fully self contained with shower and loo? Once decided you know minimum size you need.
Next how will you travel. Travelling lots with plenty of miles a day? Or tend to drive and stay, or travel very slowly?
Then can look at what suits. Basic options are van body converted, older jap bus converted, or van cab with custom enlarged body.
Search Facebook for groups to join, plenty of experts on these groups.

msigg, Jan 14, 12:39pm
To answer the question as it seems some can't . look for one that has neen owned by the same person for a number of years, ask about service records for engine and gearbox? How many km have u done in it etc. Go to a popular camp site and ask and look around at the different types and sizes etc. Ask them how much they paid and reliability. Go onto the motor home association group and look in the forums. Some older japanese small truck type campervans seem very reliable. Smaller type vans as in highace are very reliable. Make sure you get a mechanical inspection done k. Good luck and have fun.

gpg58, Jan 14, 12:48pm
Some are fussy about number of seatbelts fitted, older heavy ones (like buses) may have none, as were not required.
I got a 1989 fully fitted out 7m hino rainbow recently(basically stole it for just 36k was originally listed for "a lot" more), which is on a 6 ton label, which as it is a motorhome, can be driven on a car license(exemption 6 ton or less), even though over 3.5 ton. It only has a drivers seatbelt(must be worn if fitted)

Look at what amount of water and waste tanks it has, and type of toilet, basic cassette or full size with its own large waste tank(intend to replace my basic cassette one).
Sink with pressure hot and cold water supply(not hand pump).
Shower and a basin?
Heating is another thing to note(installing a diesel one in mine), also insulation, plus double glazed windows would have been nice.
House battery size, solar panels and controller.
Fridge size, freezer space or separate one, oven, microwave, hob.

I am spending a fair bit upgrading mine, better tv(32"), vastly bigger solar panel(410w) and huge batteries(2x 325ah), replaced bus main 24v batteries too.
New 10" touch screen android stereo, and 4 wood cone speaker sets to install(originally $4k/set but old stock on sale currently at a fraction of that).
Re - Hot water system, mines a pilot light type one, which is using gas all the time, so will be replaced with a dual electric and on demand gas one.
Water filtration, mine had none, now has a twin 10" set.

ginks, Jan 14, 1:30pm
Do you want to slow traffic on our roads and back up as many vehicles as you can behind you ,without consideration for them ?

kazbanz, Jan 14, 1:45pm
My advice to you is to rent a couple first before looking to buy.
Its a hefty investment so you do want to get it right.
A lot of questions you will be able to answer yourself as a lot comes down to personal preference. So whats a deal breaker for some might be a zero issue for others,
For my family situation I prefer rear bed with cabover bed for our little girl
My parents only want made up bed where we are happy with it being lounge/bedroom.
A couple of things.Nowadays the rules for being considered self contained are a lot stricter so you must be able to use the loo inside the van.
You need to ensure the electrical and gas WOF is up to date

neell, Jan 14, 2:25pm
Make sure you get one with NO rear vision mirrors. However should be easy as most don't seem to have them and those that do have them will be in good condition as they have never been used.

sr2, Jan 14, 2:47pm
LOL; my son and his girlfriend rented a 3 liter Merc. camper for a week. He said the highlight of the trip was driving at 80K to collect a huge line of following cars and then speeding up to 110kont the overtaking lanes.
Apparently for a camper it had a great turn of speed!

martin11, Jan 14, 3:04pm
Pity someone did not report them for that on #555 .

franc123, Jan 14, 3:18pm
Why do you specifically want a campervan? They are pretty expensive for what you get, your money goes far further in the caravan market. For the budget and amount of people you want to accommodate, and if you already have or are willing to buy a reasonable tow car (this doesnt have to be anything more than a 3L petrol or 2L turbodiesel car/suv) for most vans up to say 1600kg, they are a better alternative. A campervan is a whole separate motor vehicle to have to maintain and being a single vehicle every time you want to go anywhere the whole lot has to come unless you like cycling or walking to get your supplies, caravan you unhook and leave set up if you want to.

franc123, Jan 14, 3:20pm
Damn right. Its a traffic offence that should attract demerit points.

annie17111, Jan 14, 3:21pm
Get someone that knows campers to have a good look at it, they seem to have a lot of issues with rust.

annie17111, Jan 14, 3:22pm
I really hope you are joking as that is such a shit thing to do and causes crashes when drivers get frustrated and take risks.

likit, Jan 14, 3:52pm
Buy a caravan, that’s what we intend doing when I retire, not such a large investment, easier to sell & unhook when you arrive at each destination & explore.

saki, Jan 14, 4:35pm
A mate of mine recently bought a van so big it is refered to as the taj mahal it is so big, bought a brand new ute to lug it around, the idea was to have a nomadic retirement, 3 or 4 months into his dream he passed away poor soul.

tinytoes100, Jan 14, 6:01pm
go away stupid

tygertung, Jan 14, 6:46pm
I always slow down on passing lanes to encourage speeding drivers to pass.

sr2, Jan 14, 7:09pm
Absolutely not joking; he worked as a professional driver while at varsity and said it was great fun to experience how the other half lived and drove.
If the ever lovely Mrs sr2 and myself didn't like holidaying in hotels with room service so much we'd give it a go as well.

neell, Jan 14, 10:15pm
He is a complete dickhead for doing it and you are just as bad for saying you would do it as well.

sr2, Jan 14, 10:18pm
( As much fun as shooting fish in a barrel).

bwg11, Jan 15, 10:55am
I rented a 3 berth 7 meter Mercedes Spinter for 10 days a couple of months back. The double bed had to be made up in the lounge area (at the rear) each night and is not easy. Putting my dislike of Euro's aside, the virtually new Merc drove superbly. Economical, adequate power, a brilliantly intuitive paddle controlled auto. Reasonably quiet and goes straight without the need for constant corrections with the wheel. It was the rear wheel drive version. Being the latest model it had handbrake and gear lever as column stalks leaving a clear "walk-through" between the front seats. All round, a brilliant vehicle, but I would buy something bigger which could have a permanent bed.

tinytoes100, Jan 15, 12:44pm
Personally if you want a better ride spending the money buying your wife a diamond ring would be better value for you

v0rtrex, Jan 15, 2:55pm
Thanks honey, I will keep that in mind.