Best really small SAFE car?

Page 2 / 2
s_nz, Aug 24, 6:01pm
I'm not surprised, but think that the start of gen Z getting to early to mid 20's might have be more of an impact.

For OP, in the hatchback segment there are some great deals to be had with manual car's, as long as you are happy with low spec level. As an example the manual Skoda Fabia is $4000 cheaper than the auto (which also gets a more powerful engine). A like for like comparison on the suzuki swift, the manual is $2000 cheaper.

Brands know not a lot of new manual cars sell these days (outside of utes & proformance cars), so will sometime under price the manual variant so they can put a cheaper "From" price in their marketing material.

vtecintegra, Aug 25, 7:46am
I dunno where you're getting that figure from but the 500 is much longer than that, still shorter than a Polo or whatever but still more than 3.5m long

The problem with the 500 is it's an ancient design now and safety features have moved on since then. Just look at what happened with the Punto when it was retested to more recent NCAP standards.

s_nz, Aug 25, 9:53am
Lol. I accidentally quotes the length of the 1957–1975 fiat 500.

You are correct, the post 2007 fiat 500 is 3.55m long.

You are also correct that it it got its 5 star Euro NCAP rating way back in 2008. The car was tested by IIHS in 2015 and scored a "Poor" rating for the small overlap frontal offset crash test.

kazbanz, Dec 1, 5:07pm
Well it looks like the OP doesn't actually want advice or has gone away.
My concern for them is that they are based in Nelson. (according to TM)
So immediately im concerned re maintainance of any non mainstream in NZ vehicle and also with if its a city car or if its expected to regularly climb up and over the hills out of town.