Car Scissor Lift

ian86, Mar 26, 6:39am
I'm considering getting a mid rise lift for my garage - only a Versatile double with a 2.4 stud height so a hoist is not an option for me. Getting older and getting tired of the floor jack/axle stand procedure - would be nice to have a lift to get the car off the ground for restore/maintenance work. An old Cortina so not a big heavy car. Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations - good idea or not, cheers in advance.

kevlight, Mar 26, 8:42am
your other option is to dig an old fashion inspection pit ,like they have at the VINZ testing stations, .either way is expensive ,cheaper option is a steel ramp .

saki, Mar 26, 2:02pm
I've got one of these, I'll be using it when my hobby car comes back from painting
https://www.sulco.co.nz/505BL3500SLX.html

saki, Mar 26, 3:19pm
OP say's 2.4M stud height.

2sheddies, Mar 26, 3:56pm
What a silly arse waste of time that thing is. The car is too high to lay on your back and too low to stand under it. What are you supposed to do, squat on your haunches? Ridiculously expensive for what it is too.

If I couldn't have a proper hoist, I'd just have a pit dug out. At least with a pit you can stand upright.

amasser, Mar 26, 4:40pm
That money should get a lot of work done by a(nother) mechanic.

differentthings, Mar 26, 4:44pm
yep I was thinking the same. Or buy the 2 post hoist above and put it outside

nice_lady, Mar 26, 7:46pm
That was my immediate thought also. Can't see how it'd be useful ?

robinm1, Mar 26, 8:04pm
I have this one, bought secondhand for under 1000. Not as good as a 2 post hoist, but a hell of a lot better than groveling around on the ground. I use it mainly just for basic servicing, oil changes, tyre or brake work etc.
I have made a wee stool on casters that I sit on when doing oil and filter changes.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1513676200.jpg

ian86, Mar 27, 4:21pm
That is a good option for me

ian86, Mar 27, 4:23pm
Like this as well - will keep an eye out for one

gunhand, Mar 27, 4:39pm
Umm, you realize there is more to doing work on cars than just underneath them? I reckon if one was restoring a car or did a bit of panel and paint at home that would be perfect.

evotime, Mar 27, 5:22pm
Agreed. my 1st buggered back was from folding in two to work on Honda engine bays. Scissor lifts aren’t great for suspension work (well not full size commercial ones) but are good for other things. Really for a project I think a scissor lift is fine.

2sheddies, Mar 27, 6:04pm
Of course. But the main reason most people want a hoist is so they can work under the thing, or on the brakes etc at standing height. That thing is bloody useless in my opinion. Spose you could sit on a stool to work on brakes at a pinch, but not ideal. Like another poster said in reply yesterday, you'd be far better off pouring a nice concrete slab beside your shed and putting a proper 2 poster outside. Seen a couple of blokes with that idea. Only downside being it'd be unpleasant working in the rain and difficult at night. Or just have a pit. Better yet, a hoist outside and a pit in the shed. Now I'm getting greedy lol.

gunhand, Mar 27, 6:11pm
I hear ya. I would be happy to have a lift like that myself. The years of kneeling I did beside cars could have been made 100% easier and comfortable with such a device.
Are home pits legal now?

2sheddies, Mar 27, 7:18pm
Oh for sure mate. Like most things, they'd be appreciated by some no doubt. I couldn't tell you re legality of a pit to be honest. But at a guess, knowing how inane and utterly pedantic councils are these days, I just bet you'd have more than a headache by the end of it. It'd probably be just as much drama if you said you wanted a shed with a stud height sufficient to accommodate a hoist.

Reckon us car blokes would be better off with a bit of land out in the sticks with room for a few barns and such, then you can have all these things without the hassles lol.

saki, Mar 28, 5:09pm
Good for us oldies, i suffer a lung condition so if I can do the majority of the work sitting on my small seat though engine and box removal will only be slightly easier, not cheap but I will save money using it.

blogzy, Apr 3, 4:24pm
im guessing you can you get single phase 2 poster ? Regards putting one outside, how would they handle the weather ?

ebygum1, Apr 3, 5:28pm
I drive past one quite often on SH39, they seem to maintain farm vehicles with it. I guess it would need a bit of cover and maintenance of the power unit.

muppet_slayer, Apr 3, 9:23pm
I wouldn't trust this set up. Looks very flimsy. Wouldn't be too hard to push the whole lot over.

secca2, Apr 3, 11:28pm

blogzy, Apr 3, 11:56pm
The price is good.

1.5m lift is a bit low unless your 1.4 m in height. working in a stoop under a hoist is no fun.

sr2, Apr 4, 12:13am
I've been buying tools and plant of Sulco for some 20 odd years (they are considered to be a leader in the industry).

Big call for you to make.

secca2, Aug 26, 6:56am
i agree, in all reality, i would be inclined to raise that particular part of the roof and just buy a normal 2 post hoist, unless for the home hobbists.