Thinking of replacing my car.

goldfish76, Aug 5, 8:28pm
Have a 2017 RSV Astra. Would like a vehicle that is a bit higher than this. Would like similar specs though. Vehicle model does not really matter.

3tomany, Aug 5, 8:55pm
Mazda cx5 comes to mind as the best replacement. Ford escape 2.0 ecoboost would be the most powerful on the market but it is in run out for a new model so may not push ya buttons.

tamarillo, Aug 5, 8:59pm
Lots of choice of soft roaders. SUV type vehicles based on cars but higher. Think Mazda cx3 or 5. Toyota, Ford, Kia, Hyundai, and Honda have similar things and all are good.
Might be a few cheap Holden trax left but wasn’t great car Holden goneburger.
Mitsubishi have asx which is cheap but old though popular.
Toyota Chr and rav 4 rate very well in tests and hybrids real cheap to run.

franc123, Aug 5, 9:39pm
I would not be buying another Holden, as it is you are going to get a rude shock at the trade in value. Really as above you have a heap of worthy choices, it's going to come down to how much you want to put into it, what physical size/performance you want, is AWD desirable and do you want to tow with it, pretty common criteria really.

goldfish76, Aug 5, 10:04pm
Not buying another Holden. Would like a 1.6 turbo if possible. No, don't need to tow with it.

zak410, Aug 5, 10:06pm
Suzuki Vitara ?

s_nz, Aug 5, 11:15pm
You have a lot of vehicle's to choose from.

The RS-V Astra is a sport focused, FWD 147kW, hatchback, 1485mm tall, 4386mm long, and 1363kg kerb weight.

To meet your taller requirement, you could look at taller Hatchbacks.

For example the Nissan leaf e+ is 1565mm tall & 160kW. While more powerfull it is less proformance focused, and has a lot higher curb weight.

If you want even taller, there is a raft of compact corss overs which:

VW T-rok top spec is 140kW
Hyundai Kona is available in a 130kW 1.6L turbo petrol, or in a 150kW electric.
The Maxda CX-5 is available with 115, 140 & 170kW petrol engines, and has a reputation to be nice to drive.
Toyota Rav4 hybrid is 130kW.

If you have the budget, there are a raft of attractive options from the premium brands. (BMW X1, Lexus NZ & UX etc)

tamarillo, Aug 6, 7:44am
Honda Hrv and Toyota ch-r are latest kids on block with new tech and funky styling that both seem to work very well. The Toyota has lively 1.2 but is said to drive well, or a hybrid. Honda engines always good and it engine more conventional.

tamarillo, Aug 6, 8:07am
Hrv has more passenger space, Toyota small rear windows and not best for people back there so depends what you need it for

serf407, Aug 6, 8:20am
Similar car is a Hyundai i30N -line - 1.6 turbo (or wait for the i20N)
https://www.drivelife.co.nz/2019/12/2019-hyundai-i30n-line-car-review-the-poor-mans-i30n/ Kia Niro hybrid for a bit of eco-virtue signalling.
An inbetween Mazda CX30 has a 2.5 litre engine but a bit larger size than the CX3

Subaru XV - non turbo - the new american version likely to get the 2.5 litre engine. Probably not for downunder. https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/new-subaru-xv-2021-gets-foresters-25-litre-engine-as-part-of-facelift-to-better-ri
val-kia

poppy62, Aug 6, 8:45am
Mercedes GLA 180 (1.6 Turbo).

s_nz, Aug 6, 3:09pm
2.5L C-30 at 139kW might be a good option.

Subaru XV is a bit low powered compared to what OP is used to, as are ch-r & hrv.

goldfish76, Aug 7, 9:28am
Thank you all for your input. Looks like I need to go to lots of car yards and do some test drives.

kazbanz, Dec 11, 4:00pm
You have already had a lot of great suggestions for vehicles but you may also find that theres a number of other vehicles like the Toyota Spade for example that give you the higher seat height without the need to go to a "softroader"
My concern for you is that with the demise of holden coupled to the relatively high price you pay for a softroader you are going to have an unexpectedly high change over figure.