Small car as a runabout

bazfan, Aug 9, 6:20pm
Hi Guys we are looking for a small runabout as a second car and wanted some thoughts on options. Budget is $5k, I don’t mind a high km car as we won’t be doing over 5K a year.

Looking for something that is
- economical
- safety rating at least 3 star
- cheap to run. Thinking Japanese as we also have a X5 which is anything but cheap!
- small and easy to park in the city but enough room for a pram in the boot

Unfortunately all the Japanese imports at that price don’t have side airbags or ESC

Currently looking at 08+ Mazda 2s, Honda Jazz (still too expensive) and Toyota Corollas 08+ and Ford Focus 06+

Any advice on those?

Thanks
Baz

dlin9, Aug 9, 6:46pm
All fairly good options in my opinion. Also throw Toyota Blade in there if you're looking at Corollas. They are basically a Corolla but with more features & a more upmarket interior

bazfan, Aug 9, 7:25pm
Thanks I saw them but they’re 2.4 so not very economic unfortunately! Lovely car thouhh

sw20, Aug 9, 8:04pm
If you get a Corolla you will need a 2011+ because they got seven airbags, traction control, stability control etc.

You will struggle to get a hatch for your budget. The wagon is just a poverty spec Jap import.

serf407, Aug 9, 8:14pm
Try an find a suitable corolla/ axio sedan, the boot area could be a better crumple zone than what a hatchback bumper is. A keep a good tread depth on the tyres and check shock absorbers etc.

kazbanz, Aug 9, 8:33pm
Just a thought-off base a bit--5k pays for a LOT of fuel in the X5

aoc1, Aug 9, 8:49pm
Suzuki Swift

globalwanderer, Aug 9, 9:12pm
I have a Honda Jazz and am amazed at how much cargo space there is for the size of car. Its a lot more than many larger cars. Economical and very easy to park. Once Ive worn this one out Im going to get another as its replacement.I do tend to use it as a 'ute' with the back seats down flat. Can easily fit my pushbike in there, without taking the wheels off too.

franc123, Aug 9, 9:39pm
How big is your pram? The answer to that may discount many of the suggestions so far, especially Swifts lol.

tom-tk, Aug 9, 9:56pm
If you are only doing 5,000 km a year, the money spent on fuel will be less than a tank a month. The fuel economy issue shouldn't be an issue.

tamarillo, Aug 10, 8:58am
How small? Holden Spark NZ new had curtain airbags etc and is lot of car for money as don’t hold value like Toyota.

sw20, Aug 10, 9:08am
Sorry I missed the 5000km a year bit. You may as well just keep driving the X5 and get a bicycle if you are only doing 13-14km a day.

msigg, Aug 10, 9:48am
Corolla 2006-2008 you can get for 5k. These things will last and last, they will all do 400k if serviced correctly. Turn the key and go, they are very good to drive and versatile, I have a 2008 corolla hatch, 150k for 4k, everyone in the family use it as it is the spare car, never any problems, my dad had it from new, just servicing and away you go. Over to you.

vtecintegra, Aug 10, 11:35am
3 stars by which safety rating? There are three different ones used interchangeably and they are by no means comparable.

The previous gen Corolla is either 2 stars or 5 depending on exactly which rating you are going off.