Importing car from Australia

kid_dynamo, Nov 8, 9:49pm
is it possible to import say a 1997 ford falcon from aus to nz under the 20 year old or over rule ?

kazbanz, Nov 9, 11:08am
Yep it sure is. But it still has to meet compliance standards.
Its not the same as newer stuff but "close enough" -The biggies are corrosion and previous accident repairs.

franc123, Nov 9, 2:41pm
Unless it happens to be a very rare variant like an EL GT or a factory V8 XH which isnt easily obtainable here, I wouldn't bother.

xs1100, Nov 14, 9:27pm
what about caravans and what sort of cost there s a particular brand and model i keen on thats all over oz but seems to be in short supply as a 2nd hand nz model

s_nz, Nov 14, 9:41pm
People do it all the time from the UK. I assume Aussie is similar. Remember to budget for 5% duty, 15% GST on top of obvious fright charges. Also it needs to be extremely clean or MAF will charge you for bio security related cleaning.

Perhaps get an agent to handle the process for you?

Edit - Make sure it is under 3500kg GVM if you are looking at bigger ones.

martin11, Nov 15, 7:46am
Know of 3 vehicles that were imported to nz and none of them were able to be registered on the roads here . Did not comply with the rules in force at the time .

brouser3, Nov 15, 8:22am
The rules around 'trailers' are not as complex as they are for cars. Still have the duty/associated charges/GST to pay tho' and it needs to pass MPI inspection re cleanliness from potential unwanted hitchikers.

xs1100, Oct 24, 10:52am
cheers guys well under 3500kg more a off road poptop kind of thing and dont want to get a UK one with torsion suspension and the usa ones seem to need to be rewired