Replacement van needed

Page 1 / 2
mrfxit, Jul 30, 2:29pm
Trusty old 95 Nissan Caravan is getting a bit tired now & i'm tired of fixing niggly bits all the time.
Recommendations please

The obvious points I need in a replacement vehicle are .
Reliable
Modest performance
Easy to drive AND easy to back.
Modest to high roof
Good selection of mirrors
Diesel turbo
Post 2000
Prefer Manual
Modest to good economy.

Other things that I can work around if the vehicle has them or not, are .
Internal rear wheel arches
Rear seats (full or part sets).
Side windows, (tho some would be nice)
Wheel size & stud pattern (std 5 stud/ 4x4 size 6 stud)
Not that worried about doing some repairs but don't want to be forking out for expensive parts.
Not too worried about panel work/ dents etc but reasonably tidy would be good
Cab/ cargo bay?

saxman99, Jul 30, 2:33pm
Merc Sprinter.

intrade, Jul 30, 2:45pm
only one i found is 2020 crafter for 48 k . they want 16k + for clapped out rusty heaps of sprinters. and the vw are all low roof. and the hiaces are death traps.

intrade, Jul 30, 2:55pm
quote 'm tired of fixing niggly bits all the time.
wait till you get the electronics component repair bill of a more modern one. i am going to do shocks swaybar bushes and a seatbelt for 1100$ on monday and i am almost 400$ cheaper then the next garage. and thats only a 2000 corolla not a merc or other electronics poofighter
you be having 2500$ next year 4000$+ niggli bits to repair on a more modern van.

s_nz, Jul 30, 3:11pm
Frankly you need to provide some more info of you want suggestions that are useful. Like budget rough size of the van you want.

Also what is a modest roof (low? Mid?), and modest performance (slow?)

Given what you have mentioned above (sick of fixing Niggly bits & don't want to fork out for expensive parts), the obvious soultion is to buy a new van with a warranty.

Personally I am a fan of the iLoad, but it is only available as a standard (low) roof.

New shape hiace could be a good bet. It's available as a mid roof (both with windows and as a panel van.

Transit custom has a high roof variant available.

stevo2, Jul 30, 4:50pm
You need to mention your budget to get a helpful reply

kazbanz, Jul 30, 5:26pm
Sorry mate but as I predicted there is now stuff all in the way of decent commercial vans around

poppy62, Jul 30, 7:04pm
Fiat Ducato. Hyundai iLoad. there are some for sale under $10k .

3tomany, Jul 30, 7:09pm
Are they not prone to engine failure? iLoad that is

mrfxit, Jul 30, 9:42pm
Yep getting to that.
If you checked the roof height on a std Nissan Caravan which is a full 9 seater passenger van, then "modest height" is only needing to bend a little bit getting in & around.
Something like a fill size Fiat Ducato with walk in flat floor would be full height.
What I do need to avoid is a low roof van thats only really suitable for throwing things in, not carrying stuff in for stacking & back out.

Something thats perfectly usable for passengers in regards to roof height with a little bit of bending over.

Budget would be about 8k-10k.
Towbar is a "must have" tho can be fitted later, but then again, I don't want to get stuck with having to spend a small fortune getting a manufactures only bar can be fitted type situation.

After a specific brand/ model selection is made, I can compensate for things like replacing tyres/ basic stuff for a wof/ windscreen etc, for the right purchase price.
Hence my comment about expensive parts

mrfxit, Jul 30, 9:44pm
Yep thats why I mentioned post 2000 rather then saying near new/ new.

mrfxit, Jul 30, 9:57pm
In general terms, Nissan gearbox's have a short life span.
Those pre 2000 vans also suffer badly from roof rust.

In the last 5 years, done Gearbox/clutch/driveshaft (before I even got to use it)
plus probably spent another $3k on it since.
Yea I know, another 3K & it will be just about rebuilt.
But that motor just keeps on singing

intrade, Jul 31, 7:36am
the problems with toyota vans is most have electronic injection pumps on diesel like the KZ = more of a nightmare to repair then a d4d while the d4d fails more easy there is parts for a d4 and there is non to repair a E pump + if you do get parts its 1800$ to spend on a test bench that can do a e-pump= forget about basically then only 4 cilinder petrol with old engine like the 7k
i Have been locking for a long time and the only one i still would buy if i know its a good one is another mb140 as my one is a camper nothing can be removed from it so no use to transport much with it.

intrade, Jul 31, 7:44am
anything over 3500kg needs a cof. if you have any idea what nightmare cof is you know to never buy one who is 3550kg as they do exist. i know a guy who owned one and no you wont change it to 3500 to get a wof.

intrade, Jul 31, 7:52am
there was a box body under 3500kg with lpg it looked like it had the old mazda 626 12 valve engine . dont know if it still on or if its sold now its price was good compaired to what the asking price is of the scrap metal on sale as i see it.

intrade, Jul 31, 8:04am
i just googled this pritty much one like this was on tradme for sale dedicated only lpg hence no high demand and cheap to run . it was under 3.5T so be carfull they do come over also.
i have not read the discription its only to show what i mean.
https://www.toysonwheels.co.nz/vehicle/2008-Mazda-Titan-Dash/3216

mrfxit, Jul 31, 8:04am
"Passenger" as in typical roof height of the older vans as opposed to the likes of the low roof Nissan Vannettes etc.
If the replacement was a passenger type vehicle, the last row of seats would be coming out anyway, but the roof height would be acceptable.

mrfxit, Jul 31, 8:22am
The offerings at the bottom of the auctions also shows theres still a lot available under 10K but will take a lot of tyre kicking to sort the list out.

mrfxit, Jul 31, 8:25am
Would be great for intercity pick ups but not there just yet, but then again, if I was doing intercity pickups, I would probably need to go bigger.

mrfxit, Jul 31, 8:28am
Std type towbar & wiring for older vans is around $400, so thats not a big issue unless it's got electronics to worry about or extra/ special attachment points

3tomany, Jul 31, 10:40am
something left field, i would get a transit though and did but not from here.
https://www.fleetpartners.co.nz/vehicle-promotions

richardmayes, Jul 31, 3:41pm
I've seen a few sole trader / professional handyman types driving around Wellington in the likes of a Nissan Elgrand or a Toyota Estima with the rear seats taken out.

Pretty small van with not much tow rating, not a very big payload area, even lower roof than a proper van, and a "tailgate" that isn't really, due to a bit of a lip between the floor and the rear opening that you would need to lift everything up and over. but if that meets your needs then they would be pretty easy to drive with an automatic petrol v6.

Much cheaper than a real van, $6k for a tired one, $15k for a beautiful one.

s_nz, Jul 31, 4:11pm
Mate who ran a bouncy castle hire business had two little (old & tired) box trucks one Estima / Previa with seats removed that was paired with a medium box trailer.

The people mover was newer, nicer and much more reliable than the trucks, and the lower load high of the trailer made it easier to load. But few/none of his staff were comfortable with maneuvering the trailer, so typically they perfected the trucks.

Sounds Like OP wants a fairly big interior, and the ability to tow a trailer.

kazbanz, Jul 31, 4:26pm
mrfixit- I'd suggest having a look at NV200 PETROL vans.
There will be some around with manual boxes.
Frankly the fuel economy of the petrol 1600cc engine means diesel is pointless.
The space inside will surprise you .

intrade, Jul 31, 7:30pm
i started looking at estimas if you know what i think they are, its that bad already that they also look good now.