Airbag replacement at 15 years, dealers will love

Page 1 / 2
gunhand, Dec 3, 5:18am
this. So if I go and buy a car of 1995 1996 vintage or earlier and find that it is recomended the air bags should be replaced at 15 years will the dealer do it for free. Pays to read your owners manual at times lol. Was reading one and came across this. And theres shit loads of cars of that era still being sold for 5k plus in yards.

phillip.weston, Dec 3, 5:23am
the early Volvos with air bags recommended replacement every 10 years.

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:25am
I remember there was a lot of noise about this maybe 10 years or so back! but nobody wanted to know about it then and I doubt people will rush out and replace them. Dealers certainly won't be replacing 15 year old airbags for free why would they!

gunhand, Dec 3, 5:27am
Because they would be then selling an unsafe product. If the manufacture says they should be replaced they should be, shouldnt they!

gram, Dec 3, 5:28am
Audi changed their policy on this. Instead of requiring them changed every (I think) 14 years they are now good for the life of the car. Might pay to check with the respective dealer. as I did.

neo_psy, Dec 3, 5:31am
WOF only checks that the warning lights work properly, IIRC.

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:32am
They aren't selling an unsafe product - not with a life span of 10, 15 years. maybe they should be replaced but not at the dealers expense - no different to tyre companies saying their tyres are only good for ten years (or whatever it is) you don't see firestone replacing peoples 10 year old tyres f.o.c

phillip.weston, Dec 3, 5:33am
Why are you singling out dealers! I would say the majority of 15 year old vehicles would be sold privately. If you were the owner of a 15 year old vehicle and you were selling it, would you be happy to replace the air bags in it, more than likely at the cost of the value of the vehicle alone!

gunhand, Dec 3, 5:34am
NO firestone dont, but you dont see yards selling cars with bald and dangerous tyres either. Well we hope they dont. Nothing to do with manufactures replacing them at all.

gunhand, Dec 3, 5:37am
Not singleing out dealers but they have a responsability dont they! If they have a 95 car in there yard it should be safe to drive. And private sales are different as we all point out all the time when some gets ripped by a private sale.

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:38am
Ahh I see what your getting at. well, I guess a concerned buyer could ask the dealer to replace them for him, like you might negotiate a cambelt replacement etc, but I can guess what the answer will be, and if it were to be done you can bet the price would be added to the sale

trogedon, Dec 3, 5:38am
Sellers should replace the brake fluid too but that doesn't happen.

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:40am
remember they sell them in a safe condition - i.e. with a wof. if the law was changed to require expired airbags as part of a wof check then they would be replaced - cost passed onto customer

gunhand, Dec 3, 5:42am
This isnt a dig at anyone at all just a question of interest with possable huge ramifications for dealers if someone say got killed in a car they just sold and the airbag didnt deploy as it should. Bit worring really. Oh and in a few years time there will be cars with 8 plus airbags to be looked at unless technology has made them safer for many more years.

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:43am
I think it would be unlikely that an airbag would actually fail to deploy, more likely manufacturers wanting to play it safe

gunhand, Dec 3, 5:46am
Yes I can not see them all suddenly failing at 10 15 years.Its the propellent that seems to be the issue

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:48am
yeah I think the risk is like old fireworks - might just get a fizz when you wanted a bang!

neo_psy, Dec 3, 5:48am
Airbags don't always deploy anyway - that's why they're SRS - not primary.

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:50am
Yes very true. I have often been stuck explaining to a disgruntled customer why some or all of their airbags didn't deploy in their accident.

gunhand, Dec 3, 5:53am
If there disgruntled but still alive whats there problem LOL tell them they just didnt have the right kind of accident. Some people moan about anything including being alive LOL

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:58am
I know lol. I've also had to explain to people that the airbags did in fact work when they try and tell me "they didn't go off properly, they just hung there deflated" despite the fact that they have grazes on their face from where the airbag hit them!

gunhand, Dec 3, 5:59am
To much televison they have been watching me thinks.

crzyhrse, Dec 3, 8:09am
I'd rather just not have airbags at all.

pup2, Dec 3, 8:59am
I've had my face inbetween a couple of airbags when motorboating, and I never got any grazes on my face

morrisman1, Dec 3, 9:01am
but they were the type that don't deflate instantly after they pop out