Toyota Caldina Rear Main Seal replacement

Page 1 / 2
sorayaking, Dec 7, 10:58pm
I think the rear main seal needs replacing in my gtt toyota caldina, I've only had it a month and it's been leaking from the area which would indicate that. A couple of mechanic tutors have had a look and agree but without taking apart the car it's very hard to confirm. Have had two quotes to replace it as I understand it's a big job (engine out) one was about $2050 inc gstand the other $1725 inc gst and the seal.

I'm not sure if these quotes are high or not or if I'd be better to get the job done when I'm over chch if it was going to be cheaper. Anyone had one of these done and at roughly what cost!

kazbanz, Dec 7, 11:58pm
sorry but somebody is talking rubbish.The book says 5 hours labour and the seal is about $40. so even being really really negative $1000 to fix it.
I'd be thinking more like $500 to be honest.

a.woodrow, Dec 8, 12:37am
sorry kazbanz, subframe, engine and gearbox all have to come out, OP's quotes sound about right. 5 hours would be just for a standard caldina

ginga4lyfe, Dec 8, 12:47am
yeah being 4wd and all, the engine has to come out the bottom of body, ( or so im told ) not such an easy job

mm12345, Dec 8, 1:31am
Might be possible (or it might not) - particularly if it's an A/T - to split the engine and trans and lift the engine out, which might (or might not - depending on what else needs to be done) be quicker.You only need to have an inch or so space to shift the motor to the left so the flex plate will clear the bell housing - for this to be possible in theory.But I'd be cautious unless you know it's been done before.
I suggest you talk to someone specifically in the engine swap business, rather than a general mechanic workshop.Might save $$$.

gadgit3, Dec 8, 3:05am
Done a few of them. The price is about right. Engine out on sub frame is the eayest way 10hours is a good attempt.

gadgit3, Dec 8, 3:06am
Oh and you won't find it easyer to remove the trans from engine inplace because of the centre diff .

mm12345, Dec 8, 3:18am
x1
So, between about $170 and $200 per hour is expected typical charge-out rate!
Or is the price not about right, or 10 hours wrong.!

gadgit3, Dec 8, 3:21am
Nah 10hours is a good attempt ie I've done more then 6 of them and 2 of them were in a row. I think you will find a workshop estimating 18-24hrs depending on how many they have done in the passed.

gadgit3, Dec 8, 3:22am
And then theres consumables (gear box fluid and coolant) and half shaft seals plus input seal

mm12345, Dec 8, 3:24am
Fair enough.So perhaps the OP shouldn't accept either of the quotes, but find someone who's done this before.

kazbanz, Dec 8, 4:49am
In fairness the last one I had done was a 4wd non turbo old shape so I can only go on what I was actually charged -I must have underestimated the hours I'm sorry-it cost me $675 plus the partsso I guess its $67.50 an hour and 10 hours

sorayaking, Dec 8, 10:16pm
all sounds rather complicated, I would assume both places have done this job before but will definitely check. The more expensive of the two places was the actual toyota dealer here and the other was the honda dealer. Honda was cheaper, not sure how that works out but might do a ring around in chch as I imagine they've got more experience in doing this job. Only want it done once and right after all

richard198, Dec 8, 10:58pm
The fact that their quote is on the money would suggest they have done it before!

drew2009, Dec 8, 11:12pm
Definitely get some more quotes when over in Christchurch.
Should be able to do much better than dealer prices over there.

mm12345, Dec 8, 11:47pm
I thought "gadgit3" above established that this was a 10 hour job for a competent mechanic, so I can't see how +$2000 is "on the money".The parts and fluids won't amount to that much, so it's potentially not an extra $300, but more like an extra $1000.
I strongly suggest that the OP gets more quotes when in Chch.

richard198, Dec 9, 12:00am
"10hours is a good attempt."
"you will find a workshop estimating 18-24hrs"
"The price is about right."

I actually thought it looked like gadgit3 was agreeing with price.
Not every one can do it in 10 hours and certainly wouldn't quote on that basis.

OP: "Only want it done once and right after all"
Who would have the most experience!

mm12345, Dec 9, 12:17am
I thought it was the other way around, that he was saying 10 hours as"good attempt" was about right, but workshops (who may not have done the job before) would estimate much longer.

Anyway, getting more quotes is IMO a very good idea.

gadgit3, Dec 9, 12:33am
The old non turbo 4WD caldina you could disconnect the transfur from the gear box and remove the box from the engine inplace. So no need to remove the subframe and engine in them but the GTT is alot different.

gadgit3, Dec 9, 1:39am
Thats bang on what I'm saying.
But finding workshops that have done a few to get their times down will be a mish. Thats why the estimate given is bang on because they will all be covering their behinds. Just remember most workshops will only give out estimates not quotes so time can very (sometimes in the favor of the customer. But it is better to estimate high and charge lower then estimate low and charge high with sad faces and bad words.

sorayaking, Dec 10, 4:22am
None of the garages I talked to said the price was an estimate. They were all pretty firm with the cost. Toyota around here have been known to be a bit more expensive than anywhere and not just for toyotas. They might have more experience with their own cars than the other though, will have a chat to them. I don't want a mechanic whose never done this before to use my car as a test subject!

richard198, Dec 10, 4:37am
That extra $300 might be the best $300 you spend!

sorayaking, Dec 10, 6:38am
could well be lol. I'll grill them a bit further and ask specifically if they've replaced one on my model car before. The fella i spoke to initially didnt know much about it

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 6:41am
You are best to confirm this and actually ask "is this a firm quote".
We have a major garage/dealer here in Tauranga that seems to think they can give a price in a manner that legally constitutes a quote, then charge significantly more and only complete half the work.

phillip.weston, Dec 10, 7:34am
for $2000 I would just continue to top up the oil and place a drip tray under the car. and then wait until the clutch needs replacement (assuming if 5spd of course) to do the rear main seal. I gather you've made damn sure it's not coming from somewhere else like rocker cover gasket, half moon seals or even head gasket!