Volvo.

jasongroves, Nov 27, 11:53pm
I dunno, how much Volvo is there!

lizyw, Nov 27, 11:59pm
A whole cars worth.

jasongroves, Nov 28, 12:02am
Nice.
Ok, what year and model is this Volvo!
Is it just the boot! Or does the CV itself need replaced!

kiwicon, Nov 28, 12:03am
it says CV boot JG. so on that, do you want a price for just the boot, or for someone to put it on.

ninja_man, Nov 28, 12:06am
$30

lizyw, Nov 28, 12:24am
Seriously!
Right hand CV boot torn.needs replacing - $30! You're dreamin.
Comn' Mechies, how much!

jasongroves, Nov 28, 12:28am
$30ish for the boot itself.
Without details on the car, even though I asked for them half an hour ago.I would guestimate $200.
You could have got an actual quote or 3 in the last hour and know for sure;)

lizyw, Nov 28, 12:39am
thanks jg - Volvo xc70 - 4wd - thought the Forum would be quicker for a quote. Forgive my ignorance, but who would think I could possibly get a car part for $30.

ninja_man, Nov 28, 12:44am
boots are not expensive, its the cv joints that costs heaps.

lizyw, Nov 28, 12:46am
Yep, I've had CV joints done on other cars, so I was expecting the same price. Righto, better book it then. Thanks everyone :)

mm12345, Nov 28, 12:51am
CV boots can be simple to replace, or a bit of a can of worms, so guessing labour time to do the job in a not very common car won't be easy - sight unseen in a forum like this.
If labour cost is going to be high - then it might be worth getting complete CVs replaced, as if the boot is split, there's a chance that the joint will deteriorate quickly and need replacement sooner rather than later.
Last set of CV boots I bought didn't cost $30 - more like $12, so you can certainly get some car parts for less than $30.But if you go to a franchise dealer workshop, they'll probably get OEM parts, which could cost much more than that.
So you've almost asked how long a piece of string is - don't blame the people who didn't respond with what you hoped for.

lizyw, Nov 28, 1:29am
Thanks for your advice - have just been quoted $120 for the boot (Typical as it is Volvo) - so a very long piece of string! That was a quote from the CV Joint guys - no franchise involved.
Sometimes it's quicker to call, sometimes the forum can throw upmore information alot faster. Any information is appreciated , I'm not complaining about any of it.

mm12345, Nov 28, 1:57am
A very quick google, and I find a set of inner and outer boots for XC70, with bands and grease, for US$12.
Aftermarket - probably.
I wouldn't pay extra for OEM - after all it's the OEM ones which have failed, hence the whole point of this thread.

kiwicon, Nov 28, 1:59am
shop around. get a couple of quotes.

I have a k11 march (work car) got quoted $210 for the clutch kit and 4-5hrs labour. screw that I thought. got one from ripco for $120 and did it myself in 2. would have been just over 1, but was a mish getting the box lined back up by myself.

lizyw, Nov 28, 2:30am
Website please! We picked up an ETM for the volvo from the US, and saved a Grand, so happy to import. Yes, and we are sick of buying Volvo parts that fail.

mm12345, Nov 28, 2:36am
http://www.swedishautoparts.com/XC70/volvo-xc70-driveshaft-and-axle-parts.html

That page lists AWD and 2WD shafts etc, for manual and AT.
Not sure if the boot kit listed fits all - it doesn't say.
More practically, I suggest you call BNT or Supercheap auto locally.Will probably cost more than US$12, but $120 is an outrageous price.

pollymay, Nov 28, 2:51am
Some CV places you can give the inner and outer measurements and they can just match it for you to an off the shelf boot. I've done that on some and it's usually 20 or $25 or so which is good

mellisa2000, Nov 28, 11:12am
Probably misinterpreted, and could be $120 all done, labour incl, would not be far off the mark.

carmedic, Nov 28, 7:10pm
I'd charge $100 + gst including parts and labour.

mm12345, Nov 28, 8:33pm
Nah
In the link I posted above to US aftermarket boot kits, I think there are some OEM kits for about US$70, so $120 for an OEM boot in NZ is probably about right.
When the parts guys at dealerships started wearing ties and jackets, we were always going to be in trouble.

the-lada-dude, Nov 28, 9:28pm
utter bull shit KIWICON.

the-lada-dude, Nov 28, 9:31pm
it takes as much time to replace a boot as it does to change the whole cv.
unless you have those stretchy boots and expander.

the-lada-dude, Nov 28, 9:34pm
OH sorry KIWICON , my apologies,you meant days, not hours to change the clutch, my mistake.

carmedic, Nov 28, 10:36pm
You think!
I have two K11 March loan cars (one manual one auto), It took me a little under two hours to do the clutch.
On a hoist with small transmission jack, leave the shafts in the box (no gear oil required), just pull the box apart enough to get your hand in to change the release bearing once the clutch is out the way, having got to the bolts by turning the engine by hand. All very quick and easy to do assuming you??