Car Sales with Locked Gates

stevo2, Feb 1, 9:06pm
My daughter has just returned from overseas and asked me to find a car for the family, so while I was out and about yesterday (Sunday) arvo I thought I would have a quick look at a few dealers yards. To my surprise quite a few of them had their gates locked up tight.
Went for another look today (Aucks Anniversary Day) and same again.
Now I dont expect them to be open for business but surely they could leave the gates open during daylight hours?

mrcat1, Feb 1, 9:14pm
I went to Paperplus in Bethlehem for my elderly mum today and it was shut, everything else was open, maybe the cost of wages on public holidays is biting in to employers pockets now.

kazbanz, Feb 1, 9:20pm
Depends where you are I guess. To be fair Auckland anniversary is traditionally really quiet. If the gates are open then a staff member has to be there

stevo2, Feb 1, 9:31pm
The dealers without gates or with gates open had several people looking at their stock, even though they weren't open for business.

marte, Feb 1, 9:50pm
I was walking past a caryard at 1 am & one car started up, revved a bit, then revved high, tyres squealed & smoke started pouring out & then 3 young guys came running out & ran off laughing.
The cars still smoking up it's tyres.
But a car driving by stops & someone gets out & runs in & shuts the car down & soon the firebrigade turns up & another cars stopped & as I leave the police turn up.

They must have found a car with the keys in it or got past them, started it up, blocked the gas pedal & put it in gear while it was pushed up against the rear concrete wall

gph1961, Feb 1, 9:53pm
theys good boys cos their mums said so

2sheddies, Feb 1, 11:33pm
And therein lies the reason why Steve struggles to find a yard that he can gain access to outside business hours.

Once upon a time, people were sensible. Sadly, those days are over.

sw20, Feb 1, 11:52pm
People were still scumbags 20+ years ago. I remember a WRX that got stolen from the Holden dealer in Blenheim in the late '90s. The thieves got a key cut on a test drive, came back early hours of the morning and drove it over the garden. They only got caught because they were running out of gas coming into Kaikoura. They were parked up waiting outside the BP until it opened when the local constabulary took notice.

tygertung, Feb 2, 7:51am
They should have gone to the marine pump by the wharf, I've filled up my motorbike in the middle of the night there before. It has card pay.

kazbanz, Feb 2, 10:33am
It would be interesting to see how much vehicle damage and theft is done in those yards with no fencing.

stevo2, Feb 2, 11:54am
⁹ i did some building work for one such yard 5 years ago. They said almost none. I assume you are fenced and gated

kazbanz, Feb 2, 11:59am
Yep-1.8 fence with razor wire,electric fence and alarm. Gates are open here every day of the year except statutory holidays.

headcat, Feb 2, 7:19pm
Once upon a time a car left like that would stall.

jayzeeb, Feb 3, 11:03am
i've worked on yards with and without gates and there is a lot more damage to the yards that are unfenced, have had people decide to jump on the roofs and bonnets, and smash windscreens, kids skateboarding through and a few bodily fluids to clean up in the morning .

skiff1, Feb 4, 12:39am
jeez, aren’t people charming?

tygertung, Sep 18, 9:15am
I wonder if there was card pay petrol down at the wharf in Kaikoura back in the 90s? I can't remember when such things came out. I only started driving in about 2000.