Dodge 440 problem running no power,hard to start

Page 2 / 2
strobo, Jul 8, 8:36pm
If you want to get fancy with the TDC indicator like one i made one up from a spark plug ,pull the guts out of it ,knock the porcelain bit off and whamy a drill through the steel then braze in a small copper tube about 4' to 6' long enough and bend it how you like ,spit on the end of it or some dishwash ,to create your very personal bubble gauge .

strobo, Jul 8, 8:41pm
Hydraulic lifters remember ,maybe false reading !If the leak down is too quick . they could be the very problem too establishing the rock etc .proma mbl 8.But i do get your point the marks on the pully dont line up with piston tdc.last time i fitted new lifters on a v8 they were cheap as chips.

strobo, Jul 8, 8:58pm
car__parts wrote:
When I say tappets are rocking, I mean that they are loose and have clearance so as to say both valves closed. At this point the rotor lines up, but the crank does not.[/quote

Also to add just because the valves were closed it dosen't mean the crank is where it should be relating to timing marks ie regarding the 4 stroke cycle.

muppet_slayer, Jul 8, 10:53pm
Fire it up with the dizzy loose and when running turn the dizzy anti clockwise should make it rev up and clockwise will make it die down. Turn it anti clockwise until it starts missing then back it off a tad until it stops missing, tighten. Turn the idle screw down on the carby and try that.

car__parts, Jul 9, 1:59pm
I now cant get the engine to fire, and run, I did get 1 backfire, I have spark and fuel, but unsure of the cam timing. Engine has only done 49000 miles, there does not appear to be much play when I rock the crank, so chain is probably OK but still not convinced about the timing, any Ideas.

poppy62, Jul 9, 2:41pm
Probably pay to tell us exactly what you have done in the past to the motor. Was it running Well at some time recently and have you done anything to it since it was last running well? That is, have you removed /reset distributor, or fiddled with the carb at all. Or anything else that has been changed that may have caused the issue. Are the spark plugs OK (gap) ?

car__parts, Jul 9, 5:42pm
Spark plugs are not very old, have been cleaned and gap 35 to 40 inch.
Compression test 70 to 100 psi.
Fuel dripping from plug holes, and has spark.

saxman99, Jul 9, 6:04pm
I vote for timing being wrong. Could be a chewed out crank keyway, happened to me once with similar symptoms as OP, although on a 4pot Mazda not a 440.

poppy62, Jul 9, 8:59pm
Judging by the compression Test which is Low. You've either forgotten to open the throttle right up when you did the Comp test. Or the Auto choke is fully closed. This will possibly be the cause of the fuel dripping from the plug holes. Or the Float is stuck down and the carb is flooding. This would be plainly visible looking down the carb while you crank the motor over. Before pulling the carb apart, give the float chamber a tap or two and check to see if it has stopped the carb flooding.

car__parts, Jul 9, 9:45pm
Ahhh yes now I think the choke was closed, I will have a look at the fuel tomorrow morning, Maybe look inside the carb, squirt some oil in the plug holes and try another start with the cleaned plugs.Then should try another compression test. I would like to look at the cam valve timing but it is a reletivly big job in a motorhome so putting it off until I can be really sure that it could be the problem.

car__parts, Jul 10, 9:10am
Before I go any further I will look into the carburator flooding, then another compression test.

martin11, Jul 10, 9:40am
Time to get someone on the job who knows what they are doing .

poppy62, Jul 10, 12:52pm
Must be a curse in Summer!

strobo, Dec 10, 4:53pm
As Guy Martin would say Suck, squeeze, bang, blow