Small windscreen chip repair cost

sidewaysjim, Feb 8, 4:45am
Hi,

Does anyone know the rough cost to repair a small (3mm approx) and not deep chip in my windscreen?

I can't find any information online that isn't years old and probably out of date. Shops are closed today so can't call.

Thanks,

macman26, Feb 8, 6:58am
If you have insurance on your car it’s probably free. I have never paid for chip repairs on insurance. The old info is probably fairly close. Depending on local competition perhaps under $50.

strobo, Feb 8, 7:49am
If it's an old chip say 3months or more they ingress with dirt and don't fix very well.They back ground mine somewhat and didnt help much .around $50-$60

saxman99, Feb 8, 8:05am
If you don’t have insurance and you’re a bit handy you can get DIY chip repair kits, I managed to get an invisible repair with one of these. You can only use these for small chips that are outside the CVA and haven’t caused a WoF fail though.

marte, Feb 8, 9:25am
I had one priced @ $90 & ended up getting a repair kit & DIY.

The kit was a bit shabby but did the job. Like the round sticker didn't seal 100%.
The other '4 suction cups' version, the piston doesn't seal enough to give it good pressure.
A quality name brand version would probably be better.
You can use the leftover glue & plastic sheet to fill up anything stone chips you have too.

intrade, Feb 8, 9:34am
i would have said 70 bux . get it done soonest and get some stickers. you need to protect a crack from dirt for a good invisible repair to be possible.
Diy works i dont it on my astra and it lasted 4 years it now shows again. mind you you probably have more damage in 4 years . As i avoid stones as have no insurance for nothing.
modern screens can be 3500 doller upwards. i paid 480 for my van with 0 electronics just simple glass screen was quoted 670 form N. went to kiwiglass rotorua

martin11, Feb 8, 10:28am
Stupid to have no insurance , what about an accident/fire and you are at fault ,It could bankrupt you easily .

sidewaysjim, Feb 8, 1:45pm
Thanks everyone for your replies, it's appreciated.

strobo, Feb 8, 7:10pm
just taqke that astra and burnb the pos

kazbanz, Feb 8, 10:54pm
Count on $100

blogzy, Feb 9, 7:32am
Most places today want $100. I recently used Supercheap $45 kit. Chip near invisible after using.

hazelnut2, Feb 10, 8:58am
I agree. Third party should be the minimum.

intrade, Feb 11, 8:29am
I was able to make a invisible repair. with a kit that has the plunger screw in but you have to follow the instructions exactly . including tapping from inside to make sure resin fills fully. if somone is not extreem good technically then it could end up in a f/. up and they can demand a certificate for repair if they see it. If they dont see it obviously its self explaining then.

blogzy, Feb 11, 9:36am
Yes, I agree. The process could be tricky (unsuccessful) for the less than handy operator.
I actually applied a little heat from heat gun to assist resin flow. That could be problematic had I applied excessive heat.

blogzy, Feb 11, 9:42am
But $100 per chip is a rip off. Another classic example of kiwi gouging.

intrade, Feb 11, 9:52am
it depends they dont use the stuff we use for diy. The equipment should have a vacuum bowl over the crack probably 10 grand to buy and Uv light as where we need a towel and sunlight for diy

blogzy, Sep 15, 11:45pm
I didn't know they were $10k ! I would be surprised it they all invest that much in the equipment ?