Does your car have to have windscreen washer

Page 1 / 2
likit, Sep 13, 8:04am
to get wof!Purchased car a while ago & notice there is no horn or windscreen washer.Previous owner cleaned up engine bay but I think he might have gone too far.Have purchased horn just wondering about washer.

alimac1, Sep 13, 8:08am
If it was fitted in the factory it has to be there and it has to work

robinm1, Sep 13, 8:08am
If the car had a windscreen washer as std, ie everything in the last 50 years then it has to have a working one to get a WOF.

likit, Sep 13, 8:12am
Cheers for that.Do you know of a aftermarket alloy washer bottle with motor attached similar to factory plastic washer bottles!

johnf_456, Sep 13, 8:13am
What sort of car is it! Can you not find one at a wrecker!

likit, Sep 13, 8:15am
I'm doing up an XD Fairmont & don't want plastic in engine bay hence alloy or aluminium

mopeds, Sep 13, 8:16am
They quite often don't bother checking, I had a car that passed its warrant routinely without the washer working because they didn't bother checking.

snoopy221, Sep 13, 8:16am
Can we start with THE YEAR! First registered.Please as if pre 1991 ! -I.E. your 1956 morrii.NO it doesn't need screen washers.

franc123, Sep 13, 8:16am
No it doesn't have to have one.

likit, Sep 13, 8:17am
79 XD Fairmont

richardmayes, Sep 13, 8:21am
You can get a stand alone pump/motor anywhere, you're probably going to have to go custom for a metal water bottle.

snothead45, Sep 13, 8:27am
It is not a warrant of fitness requirement to have a windscreen washer.does have to have wiper, but not screen washer.

franc123, Sep 13, 8:30am
It is if its post '92.

snoopy221, Sep 13, 8:50am
Mandatory equipment
1. A vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1992 that is fitted with a windscreen must have a windscreen wipe system.
2. A vehicle manufactured on or after 1 January 1992 that is fitted with a windscreen must have a windscreen wipe and wash system.
3. Windscreen wipers must be power driven, unless they follow OE specifications in a vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1960.
Permitted equipment
4. A vehicle may be fitted with a wash system when this is not required.

likit, Sep 13, 9:33am
So looks like I don't need it,thanks.

rob_man, Sep 13, 9:55am
Stick a water pistol in the door pocket.

gunhand, Sep 13, 9:58am
Concealing what could be construed as a possable lethal weapon! tsk tsk.

rob_man, Sep 13, 10:01am
I guess it would be OK if it was plastic.

gunhand, Sep 13, 10:04am
Glocks (is that how you spell it!) are plastic lol, but yea a bright yellow one might be ok.

howie69, Sep 13, 7:56pm
Never Never go to VTNZ testing stations for WOF. They don't have a clue and fail cars for faults that are not a WOF requirement. I think they fail to keep up to date with WOF changes, and there have been many of these in the past year.

shelleigh, Sep 13, 11:35pm
To me it's just a matter of common sense and safety that a vehicle has to have windscreen washer.
It's something I keep an eye on especially before going on a long trip especially if it involves going off sealed roads.

likit, Sep 14, 8:15am
I'm doing up an XD Fairmont & don't want plastic in engine bay hence alloy or aluminium

mopeds, Sep 14, 8:16am
They quite often don't bother checking, I had a car that passed its warrant routinely without the washer working because they didn't bother checking.

snoopy221, Sep 14, 8:16am
Can we start with THE YEAR! First registered.Please as if pre 1991 ! -I.E. your 1956 morrii.NO it doesn't need screen washers.

franc123, Sep 14, 8:16am
No it doesn't have to have one.