Car theft - Recourse?

s_nz, Jun 21, 9:42pm
Cross your fingers and hope the thief abandons the car somewhere undamaged.

Unless the thief has the means to rebirth the car (say they own a crashed, but still registered car of the same make, model etc, and they plan to swap the identities), or connections with a organised operation parting out (usually for export), or smuggling out of the country, a stolen car will be hot from the time it is likely to be reported stolen.

As such many stolen cars are used for a joyride, or a trip somewhere, then abandoned. And burning them isn't a great play for the the thief, attracts attention and up's consequences if they are caught

Hopefully you will get a call from the police saying they found the car and where to collect if from.

If they catch the thief (less likely), you are entitled to recourse from them.

If none of the above applies and the owner wasn't insured for theft, then it is their loss to carry.

cjohnw, Jun 21, 10:32pm
Do you realise how old this thread is?

Quite possible they have moved on now.

weera2500, Aug 23, 12:56pm
My cousin's car was stolen a few days ago. He was on 3rd party insurance. He is below 25, can't afford full insurance - too expensive for him.

Police has been informed but no sign of the car yet. He slaved hard to get his car and it's gone. Is there any recourse for him? Thanks in advance.

sw20, Aug 23, 1:01pm
Nope.

Third party fire and theft is available for usually only a few dollars more a month. Shame he didn't take it.

franc123, Aug 23, 1:18pm
As above should have had TPFT. What was the car?

kazbanz, Aug 23, 4:15pm
No recourse. That's why its called third party insurance.

thunderbolt, Aug 23, 6:09pm
As most have said already, he needed to insure against theft, rather than just 3rd party.
I'm interested in the question of recourse, Who do you think should be responsible for a payout to replace his car?

apollo11, Aug 23, 6:18pm
The car might show up. There isn't much you can do except wait, and maybe keep an eye on the facebook buy and sell pages to see if someone has a go at selling bits off it.

richardmayes, Aug 23, 7:48pm
Put photos and plate number on local FB buy sell pages and cross fingers.

gph1961, Aug 23, 7:51pm
may have TPFT and not know it
find out

pettal, Aug 23, 8:26pm
recourse = find the Thief and punch him in the throat .

saxman99, Aug 24, 1:05pm
About the only recourse I can think of is to find out who stole it and pursue them for reparation through the DT. Not easy.

smallwoods, Aug 24, 2:01pm
Here's the problem.
If the thief acknowledges the debt, there is NO dispute, so DT won't do a thing.

tony9, Aug 24, 2:19pm
So you request summary judgement from the court. Then request to seize property.

kazbanz, Aug 24, 2:48pm
How successful have you been doing that?
My experience has been less than positive trying to get money out of low lives.

cjohnw, Aug 24, 3:34pm
Yes same.
And to the best of my knowledge only a court appointed bailiff can seize property as reparations.
Well, that is how it was when we went through the DT may be different now.

tony9, Aug 24, 3:55pm
Three times. The summary judgement application did it once. Application to courts to seize did it, and the third ended in bankruptcy. No, I did not get all my money back, but the low lives did not get away with it, and in each case I got more than if I did nothing.

You just have to be persistent and keep at it.

msigg, Dec 2, 2:00pm
Yes Tony you are correct, my mate had his MK11 cortina gte stolen many years ago, went to court via the police, found guilty and repatriations. Took a good approx 15 years maybe more to get all his money back, when thief wasn't working and on dole my mate got small $ amounts , very small. It was all paid off one day.