Reverse camera to an old car - wiring? Make?

socram, Oct 19, 7:13pm
Visibility to the rear of my car isn't so good.

I wired the whole thing from scratch and incorporated wiring for parking sensors, activated by the reverse gear - not yet fitted, but will be incorporated into the rear bumper, which is now fibreglass. Am I correct in thinking that I could use the same wiring to connect a camera, which I wouldn't need unless in reverse?

The dash/console is all old school walnut veneer but the screen would have to be discreet and probably out of sight behind a hinged flap unless required.

So presumably I could power the screen from the same circuit?

Any suggestions for a make - bearing in mind this car doesn't do much mileage, so it doesn't need to be top of the range?

carlz05, Oct 19, 8:57pm
Go to somewhere like Jaycar, they sell them, ask them to open a box, and look at the wiring diagram in the instruction manual, it will give you the ideas you need.

kazbanz, Oct 20, 9:26am
is this a road car with a radio? -Just thinking you could use the radio slot for a scree/radio unit.-My preference is the JVC head units./cameras

socram, Oct 20, 7:41pm
I built in a radio slot in it and because I started building it several years ago, a CD stacker (located behind the driver as a roll cage means a saloon is classed as a 2 seater) - remember them?

A screen/radio unit sounds ideal kaz. Will have a look at the JVC. Might be a bit pricey, but might need to study wiring and installation diagrams to study before committing.

The walnut veneer for the dash/console cost an arm and a leg, so might need to redo/redesign a mark 2 version! This is 2010!

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1421296787.jpg

Thanks carlz, I was thinking about that as an option.

cabrio1, Oct 20, 8:05pm
I fitted one of those clip on rear view mirrors with rear camera.
Works great, and the rear view mirror is a bit bigger than the old one.
Was less than $150 the image appears in mirror.
Easy install

tim41, Oct 20, 9:16pm
wire it to a switch you can turn on anytime ,handy when not in reverse gear and wanting to look behind

socram, Oct 22, 4:43pm
Thought about that, but presumably the mirror needs an unsightly cable to power it or plug in to recharge it? Messy. The camera would still need to be wired for power, bearing in mind this is a car with a boot, not a hatchback?

kazbanz, Oct 22, 5:54pm
Ohh yea that could be a problem
From a camera point of view you want it up at least where your switches are located currently.
The head unit should just plug into your existing loom where the other unit is located. The camera itself you could mount to a bracket off of the number plate bolts (off the shelf bracket) The wire you run forward is close to domestic telephone wire and you run it along the existing wiring location. It just plugs in back of the head unit and you could either use your reverse light switch to turn it on or run it to an independent switch so it can run whilst driving forwards.

mrfxit, Oct 23, 8:22am
Seriously tho, ditch the cd stacker & go with a mechless head unit.
You would have a compact design radio case along with USB connection.
Stick all your music on the usb stick & ignore it till you get bored with the music selection.
I put my usb stick on an extension cable so it sits in the glovebox.

Some ppl hide the whole "radio" idea in the glovebox to keep that "classic car" look & the mechless radio/usb stick would do that for you.
Then you could find a suitable screen that would fit the current radio slot/ mount it on a sliding rail & just slide it out in to view when you need it

kazbanz, Oct 23, 9:55am
Winner winner chicken dinner.
THAT I reckon is the best idea yet.
There is a radio Ive seen where the Gps/reverse cam screen pops outwards and flips up when in use. So you could use the existing radio slot. but still have reverse camera when you want it.

socram, Oct 24, 5:31pm
Thanks guys. Plenty to think about.

matarautrader, Oct 26, 8:52am
I've been considering putting the screen behind the sun visor so you only see it when the visor is pulled down

lookoutas, Oct 26, 11:22am
I've seen a wireless job that connects to ya cell phone.
Think some of those mirror ones are wi-fi. So that would eliminate the ugly wires

socram, Nov 1, 5:43am
They still need charging! I don't use a cell phone either.

Luckily, I may still be able to run another wire to the rear of the car to the camera, as currently, there is no headlining (roll cage interferes with the original).

Screen behind the visor would be a good idea, but again, the roll cage already compromises the visor.

I'm leaning towards a new head unit with screen, as the current radio is an older one and is hidden behind a hinged flap and yes, the CD changer is out of date. USB stick is much better.

That is the problem with a project started back in 2004. Technology advances.