Insurance recommendations

Page 1 / 2
_peas, Oct 27, 4:54pm
Just called to claim on my glass cover policy and was told that there is now a $500 excess on replacement windscreens. As the crack seems to have generated from the outside of the windscreen its not going to be a repair (free). I'm currently with AON through Mike Pero. Anyone heard of this with other companies. Looking at changing if needed with 2x houses, 2x cars and contents.

duncb, Oct 27, 5:26pm
With AMI. Had a few screens fixed with no excess.

tony9, Oct 27, 5:33pm
Same here. AMI have said that they have not put on high excesses to cover high tech windscreens, Yet!

annie17111, Oct 27, 5:55pm
We are with fmg and have no glass excess

realtrader1, Oct 27, 5:58pm
Trademe insurance. Do a quote online. You'll be surprised!

lyl_guy, Oct 27, 6:00pm
AMI here too, just had my windscreen replaced, as it was chipped slightly and failed a WOF. They sent the guys around to my place, and replaced it here at home for free.

tony9, Oct 27, 6:14pm
I was, poor value compared with others such as AMI ans AA.

intrade, Oct 27, 6:15pm
500$ exess i only paid 484 for my windscreen. clearly shows why i am correct to not have insurance.
but if i ever would pay any form of insurance it be with FMG

realtrader1, Oct 27, 6:18pm
I guess it depends on variables. I find I save approx $100 annually.

annie17111, Oct 27, 6:55pm
it depends on how they pay out as well. Some insurance companies screw you over as much as possible

_peas, Oct 27, 9:12pm
Interesting that the online quoting tool with AMI seems to offer a windscreen excess buy out which his about $4.50 /month. 9 years worth with no windscreen claims? Seems like a decent deal. Might see if my insurance wants to play match the deal. They have 4 additional policies to lose.

bwg11, Oct 27, 9:19pm
I'm with Lantern (under written by NZI), no excess for windscreens.

wind.turbine, Oct 28, 3:00pm
FMG no excess, 3 widescreens in a year no issues, even had one replaced then had a stone chip an hour later on new screen, fixed the next week no problems

joanie04, Oct 28, 3:29pm
I was with AMI. No excess on windscreens. One replaced when I was with them. Now with FMG. Have a stone chip which is not in the field of vision and is currently behaving itself. Have let FMG know. Told if it becomes a problem just to rock up to either of the two places in town to have it sorted.

I also have inside knowledge into what a lot of screens can cost.

gpg58, Oct 28, 3:34pm
Anyone know what sort of money we would be up for, with a high tech one?
For example my 2020 astra rsv which has radar cruise, auto wipers etc
Not checked policy yet, guess i had better (with tower, i just assumed free as with the others i have claimed before, but maybe not?)

rhys12, Oct 28, 9:34pm
Sounds like you are with Vero - unfortunately they won't change their policy wording for a single customer, even if you do have 4 additional policies they might lose. It would mean adapting their policy wording for one customer, which they just won't do (no Insurer will to be fair).

I used to be with State and you could pay extra if you wanted windscreen cover - I never did and in my 27yrs of driving I have never *touch wood* had a chipped or cracked windscreen. I'm now with FMG who do include windscreen cover, but if I could get my premiums cheaper with no windscreen, I would do it (pretty sure I've saved more NOT having a windscreen claim than paying extra to have the cover).

If windscreen cover is that important to you, then go to another Company that covers it, but you can't expect a Company to change their policy just to suit you.

rhys12, Oct 28, 9:37pm
Suggest you read your policy and/or call your Insurer/Broker. Windscreen/Glass cover often only covers just that, the actual glass. Some Comanies do cover the additional bits and peices, but they are usually higher end policies.

_peas, Oct 28, 10:14pm
I wouldn't expect them to. The full story is that AMI seem to offer the same cover(actually better with agreed value) for 25% less including the windscreen excess buy back. If Vero/Aon want to come to the party on that then all good but I'm about ready to leave. This was through a broker and I'm still charged brokerage fees on each policy every month. Would have thought they earned their cash by doing a review or something similar, couldn't even tell you my brokers name anymore!

Should have checked it up ages ago.

phoenix22, Oct 29, 8:46am
What if you crash into someone else? How will you pay for the damage to their car?

amasser, Oct 29, 8:57am
Were you never told of the change to the contract or did you not read the notice? You could try negotiating a better deal, covering all your business with Aon.

3tomany, Oct 29, 9:32am
FMG, no excess and super good to deal with. We recently did two screens on the same car inside one month and they paid no questions asked.

_peas, Oct 29, 9:18pm
I'd imagine that they did mail something out. Got enough going on without having to worry about these details, until it becomes an issue like now. I've emailed them to see if they want to do a better deal on my policies.

pettal, Oct 29, 10:11pm
Ditto .

bryshaw, Nov 1, 10:55pm
With some new car windscreens costing up to $1500 with sensors etc then sooner or later insurance companies will limit the number of free replacements.

pandai, Oct 29, 1:17am
I am with Aon as well and when I made a claim for a light recently they said there would be an excess - but I referred them to the policy wording from when I took out my insurance and they waived it. There is an excess if the cost is above $2k or so though.