Electric car charge in northland

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Jun 18, 4:11pm
is for utter dreamers and Numskulls.
I got info that my genesys contract is ending and they give me another dollers off if i renew . So i went to see if there is cheaper and there is not Low User Plan Fixed daily charge: 30.000c /DayLow User - Uncontrolled Usage Charge: 36.435c /kWh
Standard User Plan Fixed daily charge: $1.0435 /DayStandard User - Uncontrolled Usage Charge: 33.043c /kWh
Thats slingshot and i paz 30 a day and 34 cent per kwh unit with genesys.
and a 6% discount if i resign up again and some dosh off mz bill Plus power shouts with genesys smart meter. powershop and all others are not cheaper and it cost the same to charge a electric car as it is to run a diesel if i get my diesel from gull tekuiti or ntp terapa hamilton.
As you can see if you get a few cent off the power the daily charge go sky high. Who do you think is paying that daily charge the wholy ghost?

headcat, Jun 18, 4:14pm
So you don't like electric cars?

intrade, Jun 18, 4:18pm
i like electric cars if it was really cheap to charge and its clearly not.
If i could get a tesla p100D and a home supercharger that can pump 30kw in to the battery i would hook it to my monster 3 cilinder deutz and charge it with running waste engine oil powering the generator Now that would be real cheap power to charge a electric car

bill1451, Jun 18, 4:20pm
As usual you need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to be able to decipher this posters gobblegook.

wasgonna, Jun 18, 4:30pm
Would be ideal material for a speed-reading competition.

intrade, Jun 18, 4:34pm
Your new Energy Plus fixed-term rates
Genesys its the best company for northland power prices got to sign up for 12 month 50 bux credit on next bill if i renew . In the lines company district i am with pulse energy but the system changes again next year to one bill As there you get 2 bills some farms did pay 5000 $ per month connection fees to ines company in fair go many times. have a timer on my hot water so its only on from 11.30 to 5 am= current lowest line charge for that region. No such thing in northland.

intrade, Jun 18, 4:38pm
the Foam thing was stating a fact that crap can be sold for more then its worth as i managed to look at it.

tweake, Jun 18, 4:39pm
my god i'm going cross eyed trying to read that.

one thing to keep in mind there is no low user plans anymore. govt changed it a little while ago.
mine changed over last month.

intrade, Jun 18, 4:47pm
Thanks for choosing Genesis for another year. You're all set to enjoy the next 12 months of price certainty with us
i posted from genesys site i get 6% off i still have poower shout H i can book with the IQ app and i get 50 bux off for clicking to stay another 12 month on same prices,
post 1 is slingshots prices and they give 10% discount if you have other stuff with them price for northland.
with genesys i pay 30 cent a day connection and 34.48 cent a kw so cheaper power units plus the power shouts i had 16h free energy that i used to do test heating with electricity= another joke compaired to LPG flued gas heating.

m16d, Jun 18, 4:49pm
I just use this.
https://tinyurl.com/2fsau2xd

harm_less, Jun 18, 5:49pm
I think he may be bleating about electricity prices, but can't be bothered to unscramble his usual word salad.

*intrade* If you have Ecotricity available it is worth checking out their prices. Their cheap off-peak rates from midnight to 7:00am are perfect for scheduling your EV charging.

intrade, Jun 18, 7:42pm
yea thanks #12
Free listing day tomorrow 19 list your p100D teslLA FOR A DOLLER BUy now tomorrow i buy it lol

mazalinas, Jun 18, 8:20pm
How about if you've had a stroke and are doing your best to communicate? Still worthy of belittling comments?

nice_lady, Jun 18, 8:57pm
Intrade hasn't had a stroke and he's been on these boards years and years.

In person he's a nice guy and he's very knowledgeable in regard to vehicles.

He just comes across on here as a little. umm. Different lol.

itsafamilything, Jun 18, 10:36pm
A good point! Some are too intolerant for a forum such as this. Sadly it often says a lot more about the person who reacts.

bolt12345, Jun 18, 11:30pm
The genesis free power hour here and there is rubbish. You dont really save anything. It's a bit like an advertising ploy. Theres only one way to solve the problem and that's buy solar and go off the grid. Go and talk to the council, quite often you can buy it through them and pay back over 10 years.

bitsy_boffin, Jun 18, 11:51pm
So your kW/h charge in Northland then is 36c.

A Leaf averages ( https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/living-with-the-2020-nissan-leaf/ ) around 18kWh/100km. So that is $6.48 per 100km at your rates. We ignore the daily charge because you have to pay that anyway unless you don't use any electricity in your life.
Ignoring the RUC, at Diesel prices in Northland around $1.40 you will therefore need to have a diesel that can do better than 4.6L per 100km. Certainly it's possible, but only just I think, and you are talking about pretty high value vehicles.

Conversely you can get EVs that do better than 18kWh/100km, indeed since we are comparing to high value diesels capable of doing a headline value of 4.6L/100km then we should compare maybe to a headline value of a high value EV like the Model 3 ( https://thedriven.io/2020/10/20/model-3-achieves-record-low-energy-consumption-in-driving-efficiency-test/ ) at 11.9kWh/100km, giving for that 100km a cost of $4.29.

Good luck finding a diesel that can do 3 Litres per 100km to beat it.

gblack, Jun 19, 8:58am
Those rates in Whangarei seem really high.

Not sure if Intrade has checked a provider comparison site like Powerswitch.org.nz but other providers like PowerShop have KWh rates much cheaper if you go controlled and charge at night.

I did a fair bit of analysis before switching last year and it really did save some money.

The analysis that bitsy_boffin did was good, but if charging at 18c a KWh, then the results make the EV look even better.

3tomany, Jun 19, 9:31am
A diesel the size of a leaf will do that fuel mileage easy as.

sr2, Jun 19, 10:54am
+2 for Intrade; he knows his stuff (particularly with older diesels) and is always willing to offer advice.

He adds a bit of . umm. character to this MB!

remmers, Jun 19, 11:10am
Northland electricity prices are among highest in NZ. Here in Kerikeri we pay 42.4c kWh plus GST. (No off peak tariffs offered.) Which is why it make sense to install rooftop solar.

harm_less, Jun 19, 11:19am
That is exactly the situation that contributes to a 'death spiral' for the power co's. The higher their supply prices go, the more the economics of PV make economic sense, and so the power co's prices rise in response to a shrinking consumer base, etc.

And as the cost of PV reduces the balance of PV vs mains supply costs continues to work against the power co's.

bryshaw, Jun 19, 11:19am
When the power companies pass on their hiked rates Powerswitch won't be used much. You jump ship to get a cheaper rate and your new supplier hikes their rates. The Greens won't allow us any more power stations so I have retained our log burner for warmth.

harm_less, Jun 19, 11:23am
Powerswitch are so far behind the game in not allowing consumers to factor in PV buy back tariffs. Ignorance is bliss I guess, or this is dictated by the power suppliers.

intrade, Jun 19, 12:03pm
Some good posts You people finally understand what i am on about . i would say power will be 1.44 doller per kw nit if everyone would plug in there electric car and it be like in india power cut every 10 minutes but we all have to drive electric cars? And they want to ban gas also How ultra dumb are these people in power?
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/central-whangarei-power-outage-frustrates-shop-owners-and-customers/D7UMR7XHE34RSWDS3Q2JAUZAYE/