Buying a manual 1993 Honda Civic

glyn4, Nov 23, 9:35am
Does anyone know how these cars go reliability wise once over 200,000 kms! My Co has a one for sale (ex rep car) and I wonder what I should look out for and how many km's it could run to without any majors. Ta.

thegravelracer, Nov 23, 9:45am
depending on the engine they come out with a few ! what model is it the d15b and b16a at 200.000 kms are fine thats hardly broken in for most lol,

franc123, Nov 23, 10:11am
They're OK, as good as anything else out there, obviously cambelt changes need to be done but other than that just keep up with the other normal maintenance that you would do on it.Keep in mind that a well maintained car thats been run hot all the time and even better one that you know the history, or at least part of the history of is always an asset, more so that a cold running low km car thats not been looked after that costs more to buy up front.

panicky, Nov 23, 5:28pm
I had a 1992 D16a civic, done about 212k when I sold it. Was a good little car, although I replaced gearbox when I got it as the synchro in 2nd was none existent.I replaced cam belt and seals also as well as rocker cover gasket as all have gone hard by that mileage. .

vtecnet, Nov 24, 6:09am
Good car if you are a good driver and don't plan on crashing http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=qz-XhULNG2g For the same money you can get a mk3 Golf and get this result instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=jyU7oqPEFxs&feature=resul
ts_video&playnext=1&list=PL17DE776AB7544D48

Not saying that the Golf is that great either, but same age of car.

a.woodrow, Nov 24, 6:12am
Safety wasn't a priority in the early 90's, all small jappas will have similar crash protection, having said that, they are a good wee car and pretty bullet proof

vtecnet, Nov 24, 6:15am
Yes, but not everyone knows how dangerous early 90's Japanese cars are. compared to new cars. that said a new Chinese car wouldn't be safe either probably. I got my mid 90's golf for $1500, couldn't get a good civic
of that age for $1500 usually.

That said I also have a turbo 1987 Honda CRX and drive it at speeds of upto 200km (at the race track) in the back of my mind. i worry a little

Reliable cars for the age though, the only thing i've had fail on older hondas is the distributor. usually cheap enough to buy second hand.

a.woodrow, Nov 24, 6:20am
very good point - and the golf would have a bit more soul

vtecnet, Nov 24, 6:23am
Yeah I can't complain, a 1995 Golf VR6 with ABS, Traction Control, Dual Airbags, 120,000k on the clock for $1500. had a leaking heater core which I fixed, its a good thing NZers are scared of old Euro cars, i've had some awesome bargins :)

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 6:29am
Me too!
No need to be mucking around with very old Japanese shopping baskets when for the same money you can have something newer, safer, better equipped and more fun to drive.

My 99 top spec Fiat Marea with 120K on the clock in supurb condition with new tyres and brakes cost me $1350

I have seen very tidy Volvo S40's go for $1500 and they are probably more reliable than the Honda, even at the same age and km's.

Plenty of bargains around.

mugenb20b, Apr 5, 9:03pm
'93 Civics are pretty good little cars, nice to drive and have more advanced suspension setup than most cars of the same size and era. However, rear trailing arm bushes do perish, but I wouldn't mind betting that they've already been replaced (which is not a major job anyway). Like already mentioned, make sure it gets serviced and cambelt replaced when required.