WOF inspector people. motorcycle question

bitsy_boffin, Dec 9, 8:58am
I have a bike which appears to have a twist in the front end, it's not totally obvious until you put it on the center stand and stand back a foot or two looking down the center line, then it really jumps out at you.Imagine a giant grabbed the headstock and twisted it anti clockwise a degree or two.

It is registered (on hold), it was freshly WOF'd when I got it, it had this problem when I got it (well, must have or I've been crashing in my sleep), there is no way it should have been freshly WOF'd when I got it for other reasons in my opinion, but that's water under the bridge and more than a year ago now.

Anyway, my question is, if I took this through for a WOF and the WOF guy noticed that it looked odd, and if it did fail for the frame twist, is it a simple fail - take it away do "something" to make it straighter and bring it back - or is there like some WOF inspector power to force it's dereg or get an engineers measure report or something like would be necessary if this was a recertification.

Just trying to decide if I should take it through a WOF and if it passes then decide to either flick it for what I can get [with full disclosure] or keep it; or if that might cause some massive problem should it fail the WOF which would make it much less saleable (better to strip for parts probably).

Additional info for those interested.

I do not know the reason, like it when I got it, I suspect it was written off (dereg) and then reged again, but. well, if I was a certification inspector I wouldn't have let it go I think.Forks are straight.

It does not affect riding too horribly, above legal speeds (120 or so from memory but been a while since it's been roadable) it gets a bit of shake, and somehow I missed all this when I acquired it and rode it a few hundred k's back and equally a couple hundred k's over some weeks, before one day I just noticed the bars didn't line up.

i-n-horz, Dec 9, 9:50am
Are you sure it's twisted and not just the triple tree clamps out of wack!.you have a bottom clamp to the forks (bottom of steering head) and a top clamp (top of steering head) if they're not aligned correctly it can look twisted.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 9, 10:22am
Wish it was that simple but they are definately aligned.

kazbanz, Dec 9, 8:46pm
Ok so think this through.-options1) the forks are slightly bent.-This you can check yourself and if its as slight as suggested then easy fixed
2) the handlebars /handlebar in fact are bent or their mounts are bent-this can create the illusion the front is bent-again easy to check on yourself.
3) the triple clamps are a bit twisted--I can tell you a tiny twist up top can equate to a few degrees down the bottom. A good bike ENGINEERcan fix that for you
4) worst case theres a tiny twist in the frame -theres a couple of companies who can fix that for you
5) -worth concidering--the offset is factory.-Im NOT saying for a moment it is but its worth checking up on

bitsy_boffin, Dec 9, 9:14pm
1. no, stripped and straight edged
2. nope, not that
3. 99.9% certain clamps are not the issue, measured, eyeballed, straight edged, and assembled off the bike, all straight
4. almost certain this is the issue, but proper repair likely uneconomic and found nobody around Christchurch with proper gear.DIY "repair" may be possible (think steel bars, bottle jacks and big f'n hammers), but if it got a WOF I just wouldn't try.
5. not a chance

Hence my question, if it fails WOF because the inspector sees the front end is on a lean, does this potentially create big problems for doing a DIY repair!

richard198, Dec 9, 9:23pm
If your head race is out of alignment and the WOF inspector fails the bike on the basis of a visual inspection, surely he can only re-inspect visually!
I don't believe they have the power to suddenly summons documentary evidence to a certified repair etc.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 9, 9:35pm
That is what I assume, but you know what they say about assuming things :)

richynuts, Dec 9, 10:58pm
Best to set the bike up on a rear stand then .stringline' the bike, also use a plumbob against the front wheel and measure your wheel base ,I had Suzuki bandit straightened in Cambridge cost about $250 the biggest expense was freight, though if you crate up with the ability to move around with pellet lifter this will help with keeping price down,He will need engine in frame and rear swingarm with wheel, if you do this I can get you some MDF cover sheets and bearers. I guess there maybe someone in chch but never heard of anyone who does this.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 9, 11:32pm
Yeah it's just not IMO worth shipping it around to get straightened, realistically with shipping both ways, checking, and straightening it would probably cost a grand, and the bikes value after it would still be only about 3, it's already cost me too much to put that into it.

I did string line it to confirm out of centerline.Didn't plumbline it, good idea though as another check to confirm my eyes are not wonky.

kazbanz, Dec 10, 1:03am
OK BB -My advice to you would be to contact RRR racing. Red -The guy that runs it is one heck of a knowledgeable bloke and he will be able to put you in touch with a local frame expert if one exists.
I can't in all concience recommend a DIY effort based on seeing the jigs and precision bending equipment that the pro's up this way use. I strongly suspect the result could be a lot worse than you have at present. -In fairness I don't know your engineering skills.

BB maybee stating the odvious but looking at the setup in the pictures I can see another possible cause of the headshake.
The panniers on the bike sit aft of the rear shock mount and are fairly wide out from the bike. .I'd be interested to see what happens if you pulled them off then the topbox as well. I suspect you'll find the problem goes away Happy to be proven wrong but something to concider maybee

msigg, Dec 10, 1:08am
Yea its the head end bearings or maybe the swing arm. Alot of the older motorcycles had this problem from wear and tear. unless its real bad then they wont se it. If they do then they tell you to fix it. Its fast cornering that you have consequences. All the best.

kazbanz, Dec 10, 1:11am
Funny you should say that-I was gonna ask what the headset was torqued down to-you beat me to it

richard198, Dec 10, 2:23am
I put my bike on hold over winter but when it's due for a warrant, it's the same as any other warrant check
Why not take it back to the same guy who passed it last time!
It obviously didn't bother him!

Edit: Taking off panniers a good idea!

kazbanz, Dec 10, 2:44am
Ohh poop sorry one other question- How did you line up the front wheel when refitting it! I'm just wondering if maybee its just not propperly lined up in its clamps. -The front brakes on your bike are a bit "strange" mounting wise but are the brake pistons equally extended!

bitsy_boffin, Dec 10, 4:13am
Heh, 1/2 way down the country and back :)

Tried with panniers off I think from memory and shake persisted.But will do again when I have it running again (just got to fix up exhaust and find another battery and she will be good to go I think, assuming that I put the carbs back together right when I did the seals in them.).

Head is torqued by feel at the moment.

Have put the plastics back on this afternoon and it hides a multitude of sins, in that it's not so obvious with a lack of straight horizontal surfaces to show up the angles, so I guess I'll just take it for a WOF and see, if it passes it passes, if it don't it don't.