How do I prove when I sold a car! Page 2 out of 2

sponsored links
You should have received a letter stating change of ownership. This would be your proof. As an AVI I can see the date and kms when a vehicle changed hands as I am inputting a WoF so you could try an AA express or post shop for a print out on the car in question could cost ya.wont be much tho.

Driver-gadgit3, Jan 7, 2012, 7:08 pm

thanks, but those websites just tell you if the is of interest to police and if they are WOFed and REGed.

Driver-millna, Jan 7, 2012, 7:09 pm

probably lost the letter, but i will give the post office / AA a go :)

Driver-millna, Jan 7, 2012, 7:10 pm

No, not the Post Office, State Insurance! Don't mess about guessing what might or might not work, give them a call.

Driver-smac, Jan 7, 2012, 7:16 pm

Really! why not the post office! they used to. And they see the same screen as I do when doing WoFs when they do rego updates

Driver-gadgit3, Jan 7, 2012, 7:25 pm

You can get a refund. I sold a car last year and forgot to cancel insurance. I was refunded the amount from when I sold it to the date when it was eventually cancelled. The insurance company dated it from when someoneelse (new owner) had taken out new insurance.

Driver-trader1292, Jan 7, 2012, 7:28 pm

WHat I mean is, this is all a waste of time until the OP contacts their insurance company and speaks to them about what they want. I get the impression he/she hasn't even talked to them yet.

Driver-smac, Jan 7, 2012, 7:31 pm

I have spoken to them, they require proof for date of sale. which I don't haveon hand. they suggested the post office. I was wondering what I ask for at the post office.

I have spoken to the insurance co. they suggested I might want to follow it up.

(read post 10 and post 13)

Driver-millna, Jan 7, 2012, 7:33 pm

If you purchase the full report from Carjam the ownership details are shown with the sale dates, if the owners have requested that their details are private it states this but still shows the date of ownership change

Driver-easygoer, Jan 7, 2012, 8:47 pm

You would fill out the appropriate form and get the registered ownership history.

Driver-tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 2012, 8:53 pm

was it worth much! bank deposit! wad of cash

Driver-jokerboss, Jan 7, 2012, 9:38 pm

thay willn't pay i know that you will need to call your mum and get her to help you out with some smokes and beer till next dole payment

Driver-stacie_nz, Jan 7, 2012, 9:46 pm

not too much third party. (a couple of hundred). I think it was about 8 or 9 dollars a week.

Driver-millna, Jan 7, 2012, 10:03 pm

thanks for drinking and MBing all at once. it makes good reading.

Driver-millna, Jan 7, 2012, 10:04 pm

ring up your insurance company and ask if they would be willing to pay out if the new owner of the car had a accident and it was a right off.since you were paying the premiums so long as the new owner was over 25 they wouldnt have to be a named driver so therefore your claim would be valid

Driver-xs1100, Jan 7, 2012, 10:27 pm

here is the info on govt site that you should be able to do online or at vtnz/postshop,hope it helps you.
Request for motor vehicle details (MR32)

Requests for motor vehicle details including details of companies and organisations who are or have been registered in respect of a vehicle can be made by downloading a request for motor vehicle details form. The form is posted to the NZTA who will then provide you with the following information:

name and address of companies and organisations who are and have been previously registered in respect of a vehicle
Engine number
NZ registration date
Licence (rego) expiry date
Odometer readings (current and historic)
Dates of change of registered person
A fee of $11.50 is payable.

Request for motor vehicle details (MR32)

Driver-techmen, Jan 7, 2012, 10:39 pm

I got a refund from state for 4mnths worth of insurance.

Driver-00basil00, Jan 8, 2012, 5:19 pm

This happened to me a few years back. I was with State.It was actually them that informed me that I wass till paying insurance for a car I no longer own, so they must have a way of telling that you are no longer the registered owner.I am pretty sure that they have the ability to look it up on their computers.Otherwise I would suggest nzta.

Driver-kaysum2, Jan 8, 2012, 6:12 pm

Maybe the new owner was with State and tried to insure it and a red flag came up saying it was already insured by you . maybe

Driver-aragorn2003, Jan 8, 2012, 7:27 pm

sponsored links

Leave a comment No registration required

Comment required
Your nickname optional
You are not a robot, are you?

Enter what you see above required