Trailer spraying gravel Monday north Ashburton 3pm

Page 1 / 2
treasurehunta, Sep 7, 6:30am
Have chips to windscreen,bonnet, headlight covers etc thanks to a grey Nissan Safari and its uncovered load of gravel. About 10 km north of Ashburton at around 2:50 pm on Monday. Two cars were in front - Im sure they wore it too. Almost lost control of my vehicle. Passenger called *555 but battery died before call completed and he didn't write the rego down. If by chance those drivers are out there (or others) please report - guy needs a telling off and I would love him to pay my insurance excess!

icemans1, Sep 7, 6:49am
following too close!

nave12, Sep 7, 6:53am
Just to add to your thread i can't believe they let cars,trucks etc drive over a newly sealed road where they have just laid the stones over the tar and it absolutly showers the underneath of the vehicle leaving chunks and piles of stones all through the gaurds,bumpers etc.Even months later you still get stones coming out when going over bumps and when you go to take a bumper off or do something under the vehicle you find the big piled up(stuck to the body with tar) stones gggrrr.,well thats my gravel roadworks hate.

frytime, Sep 7, 6:56am
so you want them to close the road when they do it! (it takes a few days for the chip to set properly)

treasurehunta, Sep 7, 7:03am
I am no tailgater. Sprayed as passing using passing lane. Not the only insecure load observed on trip from Dunedin to Christchurch. My biggest other whinge would be those slow vehicles that speed up from 80kph to 110 kph in passing lanes - only to slow down to 75kph . Still rather p.d that my new little car is all pock marked now.

nave12, Sep 7, 8:07am
Not close the road but doing one side at a time then using the one lane traffic light aided procedure works well,even cars coming the other way get showered in flicked up stones as there can be some very impatient people that don't follow the reduced speed limit around the works.

trogedon, Sep 7, 8:22am
Very annoying!

mantagsi, Sep 7, 9:58am
I had a similar experience today, I was hanging back a long way, probably closer to 6 second rule which is a fair distance, and my poor old beetle was still getting pinged and plunked with small stones from a truck ahead of me. I wanted to go a bit slower but then I get a whole pile of impatient jaffas up my freckle tailgating me. No worries for them, I'm mopping up all the bloody stones! grr

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 10:05am
Pissess me off too, we got sprayed the other day as well. In a previous incident I got hammered by a quarry truck, I rang the quarry and they were just arrogant ass$oles about it, not in the least bit apologetic.

Really stupid of the quarry considering we were regular customers of theirs (they didn't realize that when I rang).

lalbagh, Sep 7, 10:08am
Let hem pass and wear the stones. Same applies to stock trucks dripping fine mist of effluent. I'd rather be safely back unless I can safely pass.
As for stones in roadworks, thats what the 30k restriction is for, to stop them being ripped up and sprayed everywhere. Too many ignoramuses though ripping through the works at well over 30k

trogedon, Sep 7, 7:33pm
Good on you ringing them. They may have been unapologetic on the phone but actually do something about it in reality.

berg, Sep 7, 8:01pm
Insecure loading. $600 fine. Pertaining to a light motor vehicle, anything falling or escaping from the vehicle.
Pertaining to a heavy motor vehicle, anything that can fall or escape from the vehicle.
Get rego numbers and call police. This sort of thing kills people

electromic, Sep 7, 8:59pm
Got sprayed with stones from a truck speeding through road works. Rang company and they didn't give a #%@$. Paint chips everywhere. Truck was going so fast that I had to stop the car because I couldn't see through the stones. Had to turn around and chase him to get the rego.

msigg, Sep 8, 8:50am
Hope you were not on the phone while driving. That is dangerous.

treasurehunta, Sep 8, 1:36pm
Quite. Read my post.

treasurehunta, Sep 8, 1:43pm
Yep was like being under gunfire - almost lost it. First time we havebeen away and both have forgotton phone chargers. Common sense like pen and paper out the window -we so rely on mobiles.

owene, Sep 20, 2:37pm
Sorry bout that - didn't you notice that I had no cover on!But if you weren't so close behind me it wouldnt have happened. I thought you were trying to drive up onto my trailer and was surprised that you stayed so close when you realised the gravel was spraying off. No worries, as long as yer still alive it'sall OK.

modie61, Sep 20, 10:05pm
berg,this happens all the time from Paraparaumu to Pukerua Bay with logging trucks that drop bark etc all over the road and the following traffic,oh and why dont the trailers on a logging truck have mudflaps on the front axle/wheels ! Are they not required by law ! Try reading the number plate on the trailer, good luck.

poppajn, Sep 21, 2:04am
Mudguards not a COF requirement, mudguards on rear axle only.

elect70, Sep 21, 2:24am
Truck carry demolition material no tailboardenevitable happened hunk of concrete fell offsmashed on road, ran over it as couldnt change lanes& being a mini it hit& cracked the sump & lost the oil . Got the companyname though &, sent bill to the company& they paid for repair & said had sacked that driver assecond time he'd done it .

modie61, Sep 21, 2:34am
Cheers poppajn,seems stupid to me.

ema1, Sep 23, 10:34am
I had that happen to me when driving home ( I lived about 9 km west of Alexandra back then.) on a week day back when the Clyde dam was being built, back in the late 1970's early 1980's.
Large semi trailer trucks were weeks at shifting coarse gravel from south side of the Clutha River from a quarry and crusher plant near to Clyde and back to Clyde dam vacinity via the Alexandra bridge then to Clyde on the North side of the Clutha River.
The Clyde bridge wasn't rated to allow those heavy trucks over to shorten the trip.
Anyway this was in mid winter about 30 or so years ago when I owned a Riley 4/72 car.
Out of the fog and going like the clappers this truck , even with no lights on at all in heavy fog,then just as he passed in the opposite direction there was an all mighty bang, front windscreen stoved in and also the rear one blown out, got hit by what looked like a hailstorm of sizable gravel of which about a shovel full ended up on the rear seat.
I actually ended up off the road luckily in long grass and didn't hit anything on that "off road excursion" to make things worse, the reaction to what happened obviously caused that to happen, thank god it wasn't in a gorge with a river near the road or on a road with steep drop offs is all I can say!
I got little blood spots all over my face out of that event, rang the outfit who's truck it was and reported what happened and "what were they going to do about it!"
Ignorant sods said they'd do absolutly nothing and to prove it was their truck.
I thought smart arses so I drove my car to the police station and reported it and when they saw the state of my car the cops(MOT in those days.) were disgusted at what happened to my car and the of being treated like I was.
Apparently they had complaints at the amount of loose gravel that was getting sprayed up the main street in Alexandra etc and they went out to the quarry/crushing plant and inspected then ordered some of their offendingtrucks off the road due to having badly warped/bent tail doors letting copious amounts of gravel out all over the place 3 out of a fleet of trucks it affected and they were off the road for several days getting fixed properly.
I said to the police"now imagine that being a cyclist that got hit by that much gravel at open road speed, heck they could have lost their eyes or worse, one hates to imagine, they saw the point fully and acted immediately.
Not only did my Riley lose both front and rear screens but the paintwork around the front and leading edge of the roof was chipped to blazes in a big way not to mention also both head lamps smashed and chrome work badly pitted.
Had it all fixed in a week or so, new screens, paintre done and front bumper re chromed and grill parts replaced with good 2nd hand spares.
plus had all the interior cleaned out of gravel etc, sheez honestly it was a mess, so was I with blood spots all over my face and one hand where it got hit being one upper reaches of the steering wheel at the time.( Still got one or two faint scars on one side of my face where I got hit.
I got it fixed and my insurance presented the company with the bill which they paid thank god as it totaled over back then a princely sum of $1600 all up.
Funny thing actually my car was one of 4 that suffered similar damage and the others were all in the same body shop as my car interestingly enough,
Sorry this is long winded description but it was just like yesterday it happened and gave me one hell of a fright I can tell you, you just never know what's around the corner.

greenwing, Sep 24, 7:46pm
EMA1 - long-winded description you may say, but well written and an interesting read. Cheers.

berg, Sep 24, 8:18pm
Yea, we keep the pressure on the log guys to sweep any loose bark from the chassis but it doesn't always happen.
As for guards, the rules regarding log trucks are changing at the moment. Log trucks will be required to have guards where they haven't in the past.
Insecure loads kill people which is why the fine is set high to increase the deterrent.

osin1, Sep 24, 10:35pm
Youre aloud to use your cell phone whilst drving to talk to police comms and 111 emergancy