Unideck. Or trailer expert, axle placement

bigfatmat1, Jan 27, 6:49am
I have just extended my trailer 1m or so longer. So I could fit three motorbikes on it. I just got some new springs and hangers ect so its not as bouncy. Is there a rule to follow for axle placement i.e how far back or forward I go.

h.e, Jan 27, 6:55am
deck size would be handy,generally 1-2 inches back from centre of the deck

bigfatmat1, Jan 27, 7:12am
2.5m x 1.5

bigfatmat1, Jan 27, 7:15am
will probably put a jocky wheel on it but its a lightweight only got 1000 kg springs because it was way to bouncy

mercbens, Jan 27, 7:50am
We used to use the 2/3rd to 1/3rd rule, ie, if the overall length was say 3 metres, then the axle was placed 2 metres from the towhitch with a 1 metre overhang at the rear.
They always towed very well set up like that.

sr2, Jan 27, 8:57am
The standard as I recall was to aim at having 6 to 8% of the gross weight on the towbar.

franc123, Jan 27, 10:38am
Yep most of the towbar manufacturers say you shouldn't exceed 10% static load, 6-8 would be a good figure to aim for.

unideck, Jan 27, 11:10am
You have it Frank, 10%. Too many factors to consider as it all depends on the drawbar construction IE the weight. We never built by rule of thumb, thats just guessing and simply a dangerous pass time. I calculated each and every chassis built. Where the spare wheel is mounted, if it has a jockey wheel, tool box etc are all weight factors, take a look at the one I have on here. Axle on this is off set 50mm but has a double drawbar, spare wheel and jockey wheel all on the front bar. Its a heavy trailer and nothing like the norm as we were pulling 2 ton every day on this, gave the TD5 Discovery a workout (how I hate diesel's) must get me a V8 again lol.

(OP) thanks for asking though, building a 7m unit in the next few weeks, love the bigger stuff haha.

unideck, Jan 27, 11:12am
Mat, if you get stuck give me a shout :)

unclejake, Jan 27, 12:37pm
The last trailer I did I loaded up as normal and used axle stands (instead of the axle) to get the drawbar weight right. Just slide the stands up and down the frame until it feels right

We settled on 55kgs drawbar weight - which is a bit on the heavy side but it tows well on the open road

steelman3, Jan 27, 7:59pm
Youre a genius mate An easy solution,and thats all ya need to do. Ive found you need a bit of mass on the drawbar to stop it bouncing like a seesaw so bang on. My genius brother extended his trailer and then tacked some weights on the front to balance it, some times when I,m having a few beers we just stand round that trailer and talk about howabsolutely brilliant a piece of engineering it is.

bigfatmat1, Jan 27, 11:21pm
Right on. thanks guys Ill blame ya all when it sways all over the road hahaha