Bighorn to mitsi pajero help please

s.c, Sep 11, 11:28am
Looking at updating my 96 bighornmanual disealfor a pajero 2000 petrolautomaticwhat are they like any opinions please

richard198, Sep 11, 10:57pm
Don't go near a Pajero; Isuzu are much better.

mike77, Sep 12, 1:05am
I've had a pajero briefly, and now a 3.0 petrol challenger.
All I reckon is 2.3ton, + 3.5L petrol engine = some serious consumption.
Also have "heard alot" of 3.5 Gdi's and valve stem, and bearing problems.
Know 2 guys with the Diesel version who absolutely swear by them, one has done high km's also.
Like anything, take your time to find a good one - what ever it is. Every model will have it's bashers!

phillip.weston, Sep 12, 1:20am
The 3.5 GDI will have no more of a valve stem seal or bearing problem than the rest of the 6G7 family - they are all prone to it be it a 2.5 6G73 or a 3.8L 6G75. Having said that the later 3.0, 3.5 and 3.8 blocks went to four bolt mains bottom end and better oiling system, including the 3.5 GDI.

fisho24, Sep 12, 5:27am
Dont do it, the Bighorn is far better on fuel, I have had mine for 4yrs now (1997 3.1 turbo) and is still like the day i bought it. I use mine as my work horse, full of my work tools and also tow a big Hydroplane race boat and still get up too 650 ks per tank of fuel fully loaded with the boat and 5 guys and all the spares for the boat.The only problem with the 3.1 is the oil filter,when it starts too leak you must change filter and oil,but thats not a bad thing.

s.c, Sep 13, 8:48am
Thanks i might keep my bighorn abit longer but its just starting to get a tad old 96 and the klms are getting up 210 but drives fantastic i just dont tow anymore but feel safer than in a car any other suggestion would love a prado but there out of my price range I think

boat3, Oct 25, 2:51am
i have had a 3.1 bighorn for a company vehicle,and did alot of k`s in it,the guy who gets 650 km with the boat on and 5 guys in there has the best bighorn in the world!mine didnt do those k`s on a tank with just me driving it,and it wasnt that powerful,we had three of them in the company,we drove all of them and they where ok,but nothing spectacular.i have got a 2000 pajero 3.5,i wouldnt swap it for all the bighorns in nz!way better vehicle the diesel thing has done its dash i reckon,with the k`s and ridiculous rego,and even the cost of an oil change every 5000 with those old vehicles