Help please, 99 prado vs 2000 pajero

chickeee, Dec 3, 6:52am
Prado has 144,000kms and pajero 82,000kms, i like the look of both, but have no idea about either, need the run down on both, stories good and bad. Upgrading from out people mover, always wanted a 4wd as apposed to a people mover.common probs anything, going to look and test drive tomorrow.oh better mention prices prado $16k and pajero $19K

phillip.weston, Dec 3, 7:12am
why do you do need a 4WD! What people mover are you upgrading from! The 2000 Pajero *should* be the first of that shape which is now a monocoque design with no separate ladder frame chassis. This is good for passenger comfort, interior room, ride quality and safety but not so good for serious off-roading. The Prado has a ladder frame chassis and feels more 'solid' for off-roading but as a trade off has less interior space, harsher ride and perhaps not as safe.

What engines are in both! I hope you realise that maintaining a large 4WD vehicle is alot more expensive than your typical people mover - things like tyres cost more, rego is more expensive, diesels require more frequent servicing and can be complex to repair if something goes wrong, petrols are generally very thirsty etc.

chickeee, Dec 3, 7:19am
I have four kids and three aduls who regularly go out all at once, we also have a b4 which is a gas guzzler and it will only really be used when we go out together, running cost arent to much of a major for us. Currenly have a toyota gaia, 2ltr. No chance of off roading, both petrol, prade is 3350cc and pajero is 3500cc

mugenb20b, Dec 3, 7:40am
You think a B4 is a gas guzzler! Please allow me to introduce to you to two even bigger gas guzzlers. A petrol Prado and petrol Pajero. At the end of the day, you are going to be purchasing overpriced old 4WD vehicles (Remuera tractors), that will be unpractical for day to day use. Prado is a better vehicle on paper, but will all depend on how they were maintained in the past. Good luck.

chickeee, Dec 3, 7:45am
My B4 is just as bad as ourV8 we traded it on, im still young ish and sick of being a soccer mum with no space in my car lol (watching my flatmate with his legs round his neck is rather amusing though) like i said running cost are not a problem, we live rural and pay no rent, my hubby has a good job, im more concerned about realiability and safety, im open to other suggestions!

mugenb20b, Dec 3, 7:45am
Buy a newer Prado, '06 +

msigg, Dec 3, 8:33am
I my self would buy thr prado, these things last forever and will have good resale. On any of them you must check the cooling systems. make sure it is good. Don't let these other people put you off buying something that you want. If you have the coin do it. good luck.

n3d4sp3d, Dec 3, 9:28am
if the pajero ur looking at is the 3.5 gdi don't go for it the GDI stands for guaranteed dealer income. if it is a nz new vehicle it will be a good wagon although a bit thirsty just take into account that at 90-100k the cambelt is due for replacement and also the spark plugs which require the inlet manfold to be removed

yendor, Dec 3, 9:51pm
reliability, that rules out a Mitsi
safety, that rules out 4x4's

franc123, Dec 3, 9:54pm
Pajero OR Prado, that rules out shaking the soccer mom image!Good heavens, if absolutely NO offroading is on the menu you are spending far more on wheels than you need to, both in purchase price and in running costs.Get a Multipla!

chickeee, 6 days, 23 hours
Thank you all for your advice, we ended up buying a captiva, very happy with it!