Drink while driving question!

Page 1 / 7
toppo1, Sep 22, 8:37am
Can someone answer a question for me. Right so its illegal and dumb to drive drunk we all know that. But is it illegal to have a beer while driving, just one. My thinking is that its no worse than a coffee, coke etc. But does anyone actually know if this is legal!

phillip.weston, Sep 22, 8:39am
so long as you remain under the limit and you don't consume the alcohol or even store it opened within liquor ban areas I don't see the problem. Many people indulge in an alcoholic beverage while driving home from work for example.

aragorn2003, Sep 22, 8:40am
Punch yourself in the face

toppo1, Sep 22, 8:43am
This is how I Interpret the rules, quite often have A beer on way home from work if travelling from out of town. Just the one was just curious as to what others think

rocker_553, Sep 22, 8:47am
Is there no open bottle law in NZ regarding vehicles!

neo_psy, Sep 22, 8:50am
Pretty sure this is correct.

My brother-in-law did get pulled over while drinking while driving. Pretty attention getting from the motorway patrol boys.

gunhand, Sep 22, 8:52am
Bit sad when you can not wait to get home.

usdefault, Sep 22, 8:55am
My undestanding is it is illegal to have an open bottle of alcohol whilst driving a vehicle,

usdefault, Sep 22, 8:57am
.if you have an alcohol reading, and are on your lonesome.

tgray, Sep 22, 9:09am
You cannot legally drive whilst swigging on a beer!
Even if your under the limit.

toppo1, Sep 22, 9:11am
Do you know this for sure! or just hearsay.
Hey if its illegal ill stop doing it, but I cant see the harm in one beer. Like
I said earlier no worse that any other drink in my opinion

lordv81, Sep 22, 9:15am
Its legal to drink and drive.As long as you are under the limit then its %100 legal,as long as its within the other rules regarding alcohol as stated above.That guy on Motorway got pulled up whilst drinking woodies and police on the shoe said he was allowed as he was under the limit.Wasnt until he acted up and told them he intended drinking alot more that the cops then made him lock his car or something.

usdefault, Sep 22, 9:15am
You can not do it.It's law.

He is correct.no open beers.

chevcamaro, Sep 22, 9:19am
bullshit, quote the law, another lamb.baaaaa

usdefault, Sep 22, 9:23am
Why don't you try it tough guy, and give me one good reason why you think it's a good idea, or legal to drink piss whilst you are driving!

What effin planet are you on.

Is it because you drive a Camro!

usdefault, Sep 22, 9:25am
Failing that ring your local constabulary.

They'll knick you faster than you can say."I paid to much for a Camaro"

gilligan2, Sep 22, 9:27am
Just asked my flat mate who works for the highway patrol in auckland. No it is not ILLEGAL to do this. As long as you are under the nominal alcohol limit you are ok to drink a beer.

frytime, Sep 22, 9:28am
i like your point OP. i'm the same as you, my motto it's not illegal to drink and drive, but it is if your over the limit.

many a time i have cracked a (1) burbon while siting in a traffic jam

gilligan2, Sep 22, 9:28am
Stop talking shit and buy something.

panicky, Sep 22, 9:30am
You can be charged if you do this whilst driving in an area with a liquor ban in force.

usdefault, Sep 22, 9:30am
Just asked my flatmate.who's a copper.pass me the Tui.

Check the law guys.

hosky65, Sep 22, 9:31am
usdefault wrote:
Failing that ring your local constabulary.

I think things are a little didn't in this Country mate

usdefault, Sep 22, 9:33am
Yeah I didn't mean too!

Doesn't work like it did 10 years ago.

hosky65, Sep 22, 9:33am
Grrrr "Different"

usdefault, Sep 22, 9:39am
Typo's are allowed, lack of common sense isn't.

If you can't speak on your phone whilst driving give me one good reason why you are allowed to 'have a beer'

We live in a society controlled by governments. I think if you are under the limit you should be allowed to have a beer, however, the law states otherwise.