Driving with park lights on! What the hell are

Page 1 / 6
gadgetman, Mar 23, 4:39am
Lot of those driving with parking lights have to other light blown. If the closer to the center light is blown, they could be mistaken to a moped riding on the edge of the road!

gadgetman, Mar 23, 4:44am
This was before the September EQ and now conditions on the CHCH roads have changed drastically. With the bumby roads speed has come down but befause of liquefaction silt use of lights is even more important as the there is no reflection from the silted surface. So lights should be on dipped headlight beams even during the day as dust blown by the wind reduces the visibility.

richardmayes, Mar 23, 5:51am
In a lot of the newer cars, the speedo and rev counter are always illuminated, even when the lights aren't switched on. Making it even easier for retards to start up and drive off at night (in urban areas with lots of street lights) without realising their lights aren't going.

Also, a lot of motorists think the ONLY function of the headlights is to light up the road in front of you.

petermcg, Mar 23, 6:33am
Look know one uses there park lights when there parked (they just dont do that anymore)so lets remove them or rename them or bin them with the ash tray, horn, number plate light etc that cars have had since the 50s, I dont use any of them and nor do you.

xacoon, Mar 23, 6:36am
where am I going to stick my mp3 player if I havent got an ash tray! throat lozenges, chewing gum etc, an ash tray is a well utilised accesory,

xacoon, Mar 23, 6:38am
along with the horn, and funnily enough, park lights get used occasionally when parked.

johnf_456, Mar 23, 6:41am
Lol while they not are not bestly used they are better than nothing least the rear of the car is fully lite up.

fordcrzy, Mar 23, 7:50am
it should be part of the compliance check on importation to remove the park lights and wire the park function to the headlights aswell.

johnf_456, Mar 23, 8:00am
Park lights have there use, the problem is the nob behind the wheel.

fordcrzy, Mar 24, 6:44am
yes for PARKING! maybe they should be wired to a handbrake relay so they only work when parked.as soon as you release the handbrake, the headlights come on.

johnf_456, Mar 24, 7:09am
why dictate why not just educate people, gotta admit they are better than nothing such as day light when headlights are not needed full stop. Education is the key not messing with the car.

wrong2, Mar 24, 8:29am
it boggles the mind

its like they have no comprehension whatsoever

wrong2, Mar 24, 8:34am
i got laughed at for saying that last year

headlights on cause a halo glow that surrounds the front of the car

when its oncoming at distance, the halo obscures the distance & speed of the oncoming vehicle

because of human psycology, headlights on will cause a lowering of overtaking. people will become more hesitant & traffic lines will grow longer

people advocating headlights on need to be smashed in the mouth on the spot

gadgetman, Mar 28, 10:50am
As your profile name says you are so Wrong. Lowering of overtaking, strange English but I think you mean that safety margin is bad and causes queues!
Advocating violence for sorting arguments tells something about your intelligence!
Having parking lights on instead of no lights does not make any difference on visibility. Just try this on an open highway: have a look into the road on front of you and which one you see first! The car or the parking lights!
I bet you see the car first and then lot later just about before you meet you see it has parking lights on! Why! It is either headlights on or nothing.

ema1, Mar 28, 8:48pm
I prefer to have the front fully lit as well as the rear as chances are it's mostly the front end that you are going to see first .right!
In lots of cases they aren't actually better than nothing, fog and mist you are almost on them before the pin pricks of light can be seen .if at all!
I prefer definitely to be seen rather than just possibly I might be seen.Bugger that.

johnf_456, Mar 28, 9:01pm
Guess you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, yes by all means have your lights on if required by law. But if you don't need then its a optional extra.

ema1, Mar 29, 5:10am
Definition .Park/Marker lights = Lights to be used where required for certain parking and marker lights to denote the extremities of the vehicle.
They have no other use at all, sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit and seems to be a means to an end in some peoples discussions once they have been cornered or even run out of useful input and as a matter of fact no I didn't pick up on it why would I !

gadgetman, Apr 26, 9:14am
I have taken the habit of reminding, those oncoming drivers with only parking lights on, by flashing my high beam.
Unfortunately they often seem to misunderstand and give a friendly wave thinking that I was warning them about a speed camera police car!
Anyway they slow down a bit so they might be less dangerous, I hope!

Those drivers with parking lights really should not park on the middle of the road! What else you expect from a vehicle that has parking lights on!

johnf_456, Apr 26, 9:20am
Well if lights are not required by law they are indeed an optional / feature, when not required. So park lights is better than nothing especially when lights are not legally required. But when they are not required by law I simply have them off end of story.

gadgetman, Aug 8, 12:27am
No, does not make any difference, parklights are only visible just about 20 metres before you meet on the highway. The idea is that you should see the lights first and then the car not the other way around.

gadgetman, Aug 8, 12:32am
You need your eyes checked. You might need to use prescription lenses to reduce the glare and see objects more clearly.
http://www.polarizedoptics.com/night_driving_glasses.html

morrisman1, Aug 8, 12:32am
I see it as a self preservation, I want to be seen so no plonkers pull out to pass someone without having a proper lookout at dusk. With my headlights on they cant miss me.

Some people lack common sense apparently.

Speaking of park lights, does the lyttelton tunnel still have that sign at the start saying "turn on your park lights" or something to that effect!

lookoutas, Aug 8, 12:36am
That's a first for a while. Been hibernating!
Should take your lights off park so we can see you more often.

gadgetman, Aug 8, 12:39am
I just fitted LED daytime running lights, I too have many people pull out of intersections etc in front of me. But time will tell if these lights reduce that!

clark20, Aug 8, 12:40am
My "better than no lights" comment, it is better from the rear because headlamp or parklights on is still the same from the rear. I do agree that driving with just park lights on is stupid.