Driving solo round australia

Page 2 / 2
ian86, Sep 20, 9:53am
Might pay to carry a gun as well.

modie61, Sep 20, 9:25pm
Best 4x4 for outback travel is Toyota Landcruiser, carry at least 40litres of diesel and 60 litres water with you. I have lived and worked in Cobar NSW outback,closest major town was Dubbo.We did mechanical repairs and towing,i have spent all day towing cars and caravans into town after breakdowns and some horrific accidents,drivers going to sleep the most common. I would have to travel 220kms to an accident scene and then back again later to pick up the second car or caravan,we only had a Troupy with a car trailer,the a/c would cut out at 110kph,very hot 46 degrees in Feb,great job and great lifestyle.Stand on the roof of the Troupy for cdma coverage,lol,cops all have ss Commies,most overheating car in the outback=Falcon. Best car chase,purple Lambo versus ss commie cop car=Lambo 1 cops 0. Cop was not happy for about a week after that and pulled up every car that came through town,his nickname was clutch cargo. Even pulled up my eldest for riding his bike on the footpath. His cop car was replaced very 30000ks,it got a hammering.

taranaki63, Sep 20, 9:46pm
yes it was a set up have a couple of interesting books about the peter f murder Murdoch never did it

drsr, Sep 20, 9:47pm
Watch 'Wolf Creek" before you go, has lots of useful tourist information.

scotty20001, Sep 20, 11:23pm
cant really go past a Falcon or a Commo, i am thinking if making the jump to Perth next year when i have my class 4, Christchurch has well and truly gone to shit, the last thing you would want when traveling around Australia would be any peice of thai or korean shit with a blasted cambelt and asthmatic air conditioning.

ema1, Sep 21, 2:46am
I reckon I'd feel a lot more secure if (in my case)I had a traveling companion in the vastness of Australia.
Get caught out or injured over there in the middle of no-where could be a major concern.
You'd need to be really well provisioned up as well if you intend doing such and having a well planned and notified travel schedule giving way points etc.
Good thing to have some form of GPS locator and good comms set up too say a sat phone.
Get as much info as you can and let folks know when and where you are at any given time even the police having knowledge of your intentions won't go astray.
Above all decide all your intentions and moves wisely, above all be well prepared .
Some vehicle like a Toyota Land Cruiser or similar would be a good choice, particularly if you are going off the beaten track at any stage.

fryan1962, Sep 21, 4:57am
Don't do anything off the beaten track by your self, you can see a lotwithout going off road, you could buy a station wagon and if you want to do outback adventure then you could do a tour with a group

loonee-dial-111, Sep 21, 5:28am
so this is the same as the ACC in our rego in nz

valleygirl16, Sep 21, 7:22am
Thats the plan fryan.I wouldnt go anywhere on my own where i could be unsafe.way to sensible for that.

But i still need a good vehicle that covers me in any situation.

pico42, Sep 21, 8:21am
The most common vehicles (non mine spec) I see driving around me here in the pilbara are Toyota Landcruisers/Prados/Hilux, Nissan Patrols/Safaris. The majority with two spare wheels, UHF radios and long range fuel tanks.

I would not buy a commodore/camryetc to do a trip around Australia. Most likely would look to buy a Landcruiser Troopcarrier with various 4WD mods.

countrypete, Sep 21, 9:25am
Hey Tegeem, what sort of bike are you planning to ride around OZ!Was considering doing the same myself and have considered a DR650.Where are you at with planning!

countrypete, Sep 21, 9:27am
A mate of mine rode from the bottom of Chile, to Alaska.He would have plenty of advice.

cuda.340, Sep 21, 10:42am
i agree. bl@@dy good movie about Australias vast & expansive outback. so good i had to watch it twice, amazing the things you can get up too in the hidden treasure chest that most people wouldn't know was there. great movie for kids.

lovemore_mbigi, Sep 21, 7:21pm
Best of luck with your road trip.

Remember to stay away from Wolf Creek.

kdcentralni, Sep 21, 9:00pm
Interesting thread something to tell the grandkids the vehicle will be a big part of the trip for comfort and praticality, I would try and muster up more than $5k, you will be spending a hell of allot of time in it choose carefully. I remember my friend telling me about driving from Perth to Sydney in a EL wagon fell asleep twice blew 4 tyres out and overheated 3 times. Also he slept on the roof at nights (to hot) and fell off hurt his right ankle really bad and coudn't use the accelerator for 2 days, nearly starved to death funny story when he tells it.

elect70, Sep 22, 2:03am
Get a older commodore or falcon s/ wagon with working air ,so you can sleep in the back& allgarages have basic parts for them in case of breakdown .

spead, Sep 22, 4:00am
a campervan.check the relocation specials and you will find it costs you about $5.00 per day.

valleygirl16, Sep 22, 9:29am
Thanx spead.what a good idea.
Will look into that

elect70, Sep 23, 3:18am
^^^ but they only give you a set time to get it from a to bnot forweekstripping around .Same with rental cars ,a caravan maker in Perth used to getprivate motorists to take them tosydney - gave you3 days .

kdcentralni, Sep 23, 7:21am
Yes Perth to Sydney is 4200k or so and doing 700-800 per day is about enough on your own, I fear the OP is just punching above their weight with this one.

tegeem, Nov 14, 3:51pm
Its looking like june next year, on a modified dr650 as it happens. cant wait!