1990 suzuki gsx 250f (across) lag at low rpm

imdadevil, Sep 26, 11:36pm
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has some idea as to why my bike lags at low revs when its at what I would assume is running temp! I'm not sure what temp it is at when it does it but the temp gauge shows about 1/3 of the dial. It did this a while ago and eventually wouldn't start after gradually getting harder to start, since then I have put new HT leads on and new plugs fitted but it is starting to do the same thing. If I gradually bring the revs up, once it gets past around 4k it just revs as normal and if i take off at those revs it will stay fine, but as soon as the revs drop below 4k it goes back to being sluggish. I am wondering if maybe the plugs need to be changed for ones that run in higher temps! Any other ideas would be great.

bitsy_boffin, Sep 26, 11:50pm
Cleaned and checked the carbs!

imdadevil, Sep 26, 11:55pm
No I havn't yet, but was also thinking that, and checking the balance etc.

kazbanz, Sep 26, 11:59pm
OP the across is a variation on the GSXR250 and is almost identical mechanically.Frankly I'm suprised you EVER got anything out of the engine below 4000 rpm. hey are desighned to be revved fairly high.
However given the bike runs fine above 4k suggests partially blocked pilot jets in the carbs. and so as BB suggests give them a clean out.
BEFORE doing that though could I suggest you or someone else taking the bike out and running it for at least half an hour at high RPM. (once its up to temp)
I just have a funny feeling that it might fix things for you.
-Yes I do own bikes and yes I'll stand behind my suggestions

robinm1, Nov 24, 1:42am
I agree with Kaz, nothing like an "italian tune up" to sort out little problems like that.